Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 7:07:30 PM EDT
A buddy of mine's wife is Viet Namese. She heard that I liked Pho and she decided to make some for my g/f and I. While she was making it, she had us roll up spring rolls. That stuff is so easy to make. I can't believe I was paying $6.99 for four. She told me it only cost about 15 cents to 25 cents to make. Go figure. After we ate the spring rolls, she brought out the Pho. It was easily the best I've ever had.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
poon tang?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is Pho?

Pho means "Soup"
Pho Chin  Chicken Soup
Pho Ga  Beef Soup
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It was the beef soup. It doesn't look too much like that picture, though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the recipe for spring rolls?  I love those things.  I know wha the ingredients are, I just don't know how to prepare them myself.

There's a local pho place by work in Las Colinas.  It's the absolute cheapest place I can eat a meal, and I love it.  I can walk out stuffed for $8 for a large vermicelli bowl with bbq pork and a side of spring rolls.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What's the recipe for spring rolls?  I love those things.  I know wha the ingredients are, I just don't know how to prepare them myself.

There's a local pho place by work in Las Colinas.  It's the absolute cheapest place I can eat a meal, and I love it.  I can walk out stuffed for $8 for a large vermicelli bowl with bbq pork and a side of spring rolls.

I've bed them with, grated carrot, egg, grated rutebega (sp?), chicken, cabbage, some spice and some tranclucent rice noodles rolled up in a rice wrapper and deep fried.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I live close to a resturant called Pho 99. Every time I drive by I laugh.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone seen my cat?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've bed them with, grated carrot, egg, grated rutebega (sp?), chicken, cabbage, some spice and some tranclucent rice noodles rolled up in a rice wrapper and deep fried.

Ok, this brings me to another point.  At vietnamese restaurants in Houston Spring Rolls are pieces of chicken, shrimp, bean sprouts, and some other stuff (cilantro?) wrapped in rice paper and served without frying with a side of peanut sauce.  Then there's Vietnamese Egg Rolls, which are similar but with pork and few vegetables.  They are served with lettuce and fish sauce.

Then I moved to DFW and they're completely different names.  Which one is the right name?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
He's eating my kid!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The trick is that you have to use rice paper. She gave us rice paper and a big bowl of warm water. First, you dip the whole rice paper into the warm water. Then, you lay out the paper on a large plate. Put whatever ingredients you like and then fold it like a burrito. Viola!!! You've got a spring roll. You can ust a sweet and sour sauce or a peanut sauce for the dipping sauce.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok, this brings me to another point.  At vietnamese restaurants in Houston Spring Rolls are pieces of chicken, shrimp, bean sprouts, and some other stuff (cilantro?) wrapped in rice paper and served without frying with a side of peanut sauce.  Then there's Vietnamese Egg Rolls, which are similar but with pork and few vegetables.  They are served with lettuce and fish sauce.

Then I moved to DFW and they're completely different names.  Which one is the right name?

Order them by saying Tuk Nung.  Then they ar made with BBQ Pork.  Very freakin good.  Your not talking about Pho Vang off of 290 by chance?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ones I had were made by a guy from Malaysia that I lived with in college. I think they can be either steamed, or fried.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Unfried is spring rolls.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I would say I hate you, but that would just be jealousy talking.  Sounds like a perfect evening.

OK, so I can get back at ya - I love thai food.  Gonna be there in 15 days for a 45 day visit.  Guess who gets to eat some Khao Soi and prik yat sai?  HA.

edited cause I dink too mut and not spell so gud

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unfried is spring rolls.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would say I hate you, but that would just be jealousy talking.  Sounds like a perfect evening.

OK, so I can get back at ya - I live thai food.  Gonna be there in 15 days for a 45 day visit.  Guess who gets to eat some Khao Soi and prik tay sai?  HA.

Damn, envious...sounds like a great get away.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
He's eating my kid!!!!
kimbo-be-coo.com/cat-eat-kid.jpg

Me cook you long time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Viet food is one of my favorites. I take viet chow any day over mexican food.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, Pho joints are generally named after the year they were established - eg Pho 99
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
FWIW, Pho joints are generally named after the year they were established - eg Pho 99

mhmm that explains why the oneI know of is pho 88
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
John,

I used to live in California.  I don't regret moving to AZ, but I do miss the variety of ethnic foods in CA.  There ain't a lot of Thais or Viets in AZ.  Hmm.  WOnder why?  Guess they get off in CA and can't see any reason to move on.

But I am blessed with about 5-6 months a year in SE Asia.  So I get all the Thai food I need.  And if desperate, I can beg the wife to cook some.  She is a gourmet cook and spent 6 weeks in Chiang Mai learning thai cooking.

Ya know, I'm not the smartest, best looking, or richest guy in the world - but I might be the luckiest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#24]
For anybody in northern VA, Pho Gourmet in Manassas (on 234 in the same strip mall as KMart) is excellent.  I'm not big on the soup but they've also got a ton of other dishes that are kick ass.  Lemongrass beef with rice noodles and Beef with Basil are my two favorites.

And the "summer rolls", made with rice noodles, shrimp and chicken wrapped in rice paper and served cold with peanut sauce are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
We dont have any of them places around here,  I wanted Thai food today but didnt get it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Goi Coun= spring rolls. rice paper wrapped with shrimp ans pork.rice noodle,lettuce beansprouts served with peanut sauce.

Bi Coun= same thing just with pork and the veg and served with nuc nuom(fish sauce).

I get them at my vietnamese deli for $1.50 for 2 rolls.

You guys should try Bun tit noung. BBQed pork serve with rice noodles over lettuce and carrots with fish sauce.i like it better than PHO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I like to eat PHO on cold days

my favorite Vietnamese foods are the rice plates with grilled meats & fish sauce
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You guys should try Bun tit noung. BBQed pork serve with rice noodles over lettuce and carrots with fish sauce.i like it better than PHO.

Actually, this is a very easy plate to make:

BBQ pork or beef
Rice or noodles
Lettuce, carrots, & cucumbers

Mix together, pour on fish sauce, and garnish with green onion and cilantro.

Pho, on the other hand, takes about three hours to make.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#29]
mmmmmm, I love Pho.  I would love to have it homemade by someone who knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#30]
  Thai food is definately my favorite these days.

Tom kha gai- chicken soup with lemon grass, ginger and coconut milk. AWESOME !!

Tom yun kai- chicken soup with lemon grass and ginger.

Thai spring rolls- If you want the recipe let me know, I make the best in town. No really !
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn I'm getting hungry now!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Vietnamese........

one word.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#33]
There is a great PHO place near my job located on NASA Road 1 and its eye shot from NASA (L.B. Johnson) Space Center.  We eat there at least once a week.  Soup obviously their specialty but they do make other pretty good plates as well.  Its not heavy food (unless you over eat) and can go away satisfied without feeling like I need a nap.  Gooooooooood Stuff.  Funny thing I was watching FoodNetwork some time back and the show with Anthony Bourdain (A Cooks Tour) and he says during the episode as he's throwing back some Pho at place in Minneapolis......." This stuff will be as common as hamburgers one day"...........I believe him as we've been eating it for about 3 or 4 years now........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top