Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 6:22:35 PM EDT
What is all this stuff about the 527's that I keep on hearing about, Have I been under a rock or something
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I beleive it's the designation for a non profit organization as far as the IRS goes.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
but what is the group that is causing all this trouble
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Police Code to report a Bonfire?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
no one can help me out??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
aww you guys suck
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no one can help me out??

pretty much any political group thats bashing either canidate like
Matthew_Q said I also belive it has to do with there corp tax status.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Political organizations that have tax-exempt status under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code

Political organizations include parties, committees, associations, funds or other entities organized and operated “primarily for the purpose of directly or indirectly accepting contributions or making expenditures.” Political organizations accept contributions and make expenditures for the purpose of influencing the “selection, nomination, election, or appointment of any individual to Federal, State, or local public office or office in a political organization, or the election of Presidential electors.” Political organizations include political party committees, Federal, State and local candidate committees and other political committees such as political action committees (PACs).

It's in the news right now because of the Swiftboat Veterans controversy
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
but what is the group that is causing all this trouble

Kerry is bitching an moaning about the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (non-profit 527), which he claims Bush is contributing campaign money to (which would be illegal apparently). However, Kerry's campaign has already (allegedly) blown like $50M on ads from MoveOn.org (another non-profit 527)..... Exposing him for the hypocrite winey ass POS that he is.

Someone correct me if I'm off.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Political organizations that have tax-exempt status under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code

Political organizations include parties, committees, associations, funds or other entities organized and operated “primarily for the purpose of directly or indirectly accepting contributions or making expenditures.” Political organizations accept contributions and make expenditures for the purpose of influencing the “selection, nomination, election, or appointment of any individual to Federal, State, or local public office or office in a political organization, or the election of Presidential electors.” Political organizations include political party committees, Federal, State and local candidate committees and other political committees such as political action committees (PACs).

It's in the news right now because of the Swiftboat Veterans controversy

thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
whoops forgot to add.  The 527's use a loophole in the 527 IRS code to get around contribution limits to cannidates.  It is considered soft money and can come from business, individuals, and unions.  Not saying the Swiftboat guys are this, but I am sure both cannidates take advantage of this loophole.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Bill, signed into law in '02(?), was an attempt to rein in the out of control 'soft money' nature of US Federal political campaigns. They designated a new PAC structure, subject to certain rules about content and when they could say what, then FOOLISHLY spun the tap completely open. The IRS tax code that governs these groups' finances is numbered '527', and the blanket name has stuck.

The stink about them is that while a handful of Limosine Liberals were pouring somewhere between $60 and $130 Million dollars into the biggest steaming pile of 'Bush=Hitler' -type ads, nobody in mainstream media or Leftists politics has ANYTHING to say about the (in criticism). But then came along Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, comprised of people that spoke against Kerry 33 yrs ago, and since, and who spent all of a couple hundred thousand on their first ad buy, and all of a sudden the Libs are screaming like the scalded bitches they are. All of a sudden they are all full of propriety and concern for "smear" attacks, calling on BUsh to silence a group he legally can have no connections to, HAS no connections to, and is legally prohibited from censoring in any way, all while MoveOn and other key Liberal 527 who have DOCUMENTED coordinating relationships with the Kerry campaign - something banned by the McCain-Feingold legislation - that are staffed by former members of the Kerry campaign, the DNC and other key Dem Party groups.
Democrats are being hypocritical bitches because their Candidate is getting ass-raped with the Truth, with FAR less money than the Dems have spent to truly smear Bush.

and try to keep up a bit, fer fuck's sake - it's only the most important Presidential of our lifetimes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep mccain highjacked the First Amendent, paid for by george soros.  I wounder how much he got out of that deal?  The sad thing is, their is no candidate running against him in AZ this year.  The RINO sickens me.  I'm glad he's helping GWB, but he's not my Senator.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yep mccain highjacked the First Amendent, paid for by george soros.  I wounder how much he got out of that deal?  The sad thing is, their is no candidate running against him in AZ this year.  The RINO sickens me.  I'm glad he's helping GWB, but he's not my Senator.

why is there such strong support for Mccain in AZ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top