Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 5:56:34 PM EDT
I got a parking ticket on campus today for $50. The ticket says the fine was so much because my parking was revoked. However it was revoked last year and the revocation only lasts 15 weeks. I didn't have a parking permit, but the lot I parked in is open to park at night. Two of my other friends also park there, at the same time, don't have permits, and they didn't get a ticket. However, my car has an NRA sticker on it. I think I only got ticketed (and wrongly, as I will be contesting it) because of my political affiliation. I will be fighting this one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
give them hell
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in college I got a ticket for improper display of a parking decal when I wasn't even in decal parking, I was at a meter, which I PAID for.  Fuckers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
that's one of the reasons i have 0 indications of any sort of affiliation visible in or out of my car.

that, and an nra sticker might tell a bad guy you've left a GUN in the car!

it could have been a lot worse.  try crossing the border in a vette.  i'm still singing soprano after that experience....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
HELP HELP, I'M BEING OPRESSED!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
from the parking officer guy's point of view, I would think that he would not want to ticket me, for fear of me becoming insane with rage and going on a shooting spree....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Profiled because of an NRA sticker? Pooh! Everyones a victim.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't know I have met metermaids and they a holes amagine how bad a college campus metermaid are? They are wanna be metermaids that couldn't cut it on the streets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know I have met metermaids and they a holes amagine how bad a college campus metermaid are? They are wanna be metermaids that couldn't cut it on the streets.

HUH?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HUH?

Meter Maids are psychos on power trips.

Might as well translate? Seemed clear to me but:

"I don't know, I have met meter maids and they are assholes.  Imagine how bad a college campus meter maid would be? They are wanna-be meter maids who couldn't cut it on the streets."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

COME AND SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

COME SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
There must be an echo in here!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got out of a ticket in college by taking the ticket to the campus policeoffice, showing it to the popo on duty saying, "I don't have to pay this right? Cuz the box marked "verbal warning" is checked, right?" (actually it was a really confusing looking ticket and teh guy on duty looked like a dumbass). So he said "nah, you just gotta turn it in."

The only problem you might have with ignoring a ticket in college is sometimes they put a hold on your records...

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
that's one of the reasons i have 0 indications of any sort of affiliation visible in or out of my car.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

i've got a NRA sticker and a W'04, and a Jim DeMint sticker on my car

eta pic:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have stickers all over my car.

Last year some asshole took off my
"Everyone knows God is a Republican" sticker and put an Amnesty Internation sticker in it's place.

I was pissed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#17]
My tags say NRA on them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#18]
You think you've got it bad.  I'm a white, male, protestant, over 21, US citizen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Only sticker I display is "Pre-Paid Legal".  Helps with attitudes alot.

Tj

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Update:

Went to the parking office to find out about the ticket. They said that my permit was revoked for 30 weeks, thus I was still not allowed to park on campus. Even though I was only revoked for 15 weeks, as explained to me by the parking office staff at the time when they looked up my status. I said I had never recieved any information or ever heard anything about a 30 week revocation. The staff person went back to the filing cabinent , and pulled out some emails. She said that the emails were a conversation between me and them about the 30 week revocation. However, my name was not on the emails, it was someone else with the same last name as me.

Next, they went and got copies of signatures of certified letters that they sent to me which explained the 30 week revocation. My signature was not on them, it was someone else's, I don't know whose. Then I again explained to them that I never recieved any information about the 30 week revocation, and that the parking staff at the time told me that it was 15 weeks, which by now has passed. She (the manager now) told me that the parking staff at the office "don't know anything" and thus misinformed me, even though they were looking in their database at my information at the time.

I said that since they have no proof that I ever recieved any information about a 30 week revocation, and that this whole mess was most likely a case of mistaken identity, that I should not have to pay the full ticket fine. The manager said that I was still responsible for the ticket. This sort of reminds me of that child support case in florida, where the man was paying child support for 10 years but then found out that he was not actually the father, but the court ordered him to continue paying child support anyway.

Well, off to court for me I guess. Any advice of how I should proceed? I have copies of the certified mail letters that have some one else's signature on them, as well as the name of the parking office manager who I was dealing with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to bring other dated documents with your signature on them for comparison purposes.  Is it obvious its not your signature or does it look close. I would also write a letter to whoever that dept. head is and not deal with the secretary. Try throwing around words like sue, identity theft and false prosecution.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
go get em
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top