Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 3:56:02 PM EDT
What type of cornbread do you like?

Tell me why and give recipe's. I am eating home made white cornbread and boiled cabbage seasoned with salt pork tonight, mmmmm

I usually use some good fatback for seasoning. I used to live in VA not far from Smithfeild and you can get GOOD FATBACK there, seemed like it was smoked as it was cured. The stuff I get here has no lean in it and no flavoring other than salt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yellow, sweet...with bannana peppers, and Jalepeno slices baked into it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
ALL
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yellow, sweet, I'm from the Old South!

I am, however, on a low-carb diet, and that means that all cornbread is off limits!

Damn!

Eric The(Wasn'tDr.AtkinsAYankee?)Hun

oh god what is it with all the low carb diet bullshit craze??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yellow-sweet w/ green chilis and whole corn.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, there's no noticeable flavor difference between white and yellow cornmeal.  One of my uncles swears he'll never eat white cornbread, but doesn't know that his wife has, on more than one occasion, made white cornbread and colored it with food coloring.

And I'm a Southern boy.  Cornbread is NOT SWEET.  If you want it sweet, put honey on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yellow, sweet, and LIGHTLY buttered. Mmmmmmm!

As a kid in elementary, I would eay my cornbread with the chocolate milk they handed out. For some reason, that was always one of my favorite things in school lunches (which, we all know, suck). Haven't done that in years, might have to try it soon.

Dang, now I want some cornbread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yellow, mildly sweet, with an assload of butter.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yellow, sweet...with bannana peppers, and Jalepeno slices baked into it.

Mmmm...
www.bigfattys.com/products.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tell me why and give recipe's. I am eating home made white cornbread and boiled cabbage seasoned with salt pork tonight, mmmmm

I usually use some good fatback for seasoning. I used to live in VA not far from Smithfeild and you can get GOOD FATBACK there, seemed like it was smoked as it was cured. The stuff I get here has no lean in it and no flavoring other than salt.

I like cornbread & honey & butter, yum.
Not being from the South, all I know about the South is from watching the movie Gone with the Wind. what is fatback?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
with watermelon and fried chicken of course
voted yellow and sweet. but not too sweet, I still want bread and not cake
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
basically a big chunk of bacon with a lot more fat than meat and not as salty
usually thrown in the pot when boiling beans or greens

Quoted:
Not being from the South, all I know about the South, is from watching the movie Gone with the Wind what is fatback?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not fond of yellow cornbread
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not being from the South, all I know about the South is from watching the movie Gone with the Wind. what is fatback?

It is the meat, mostly fat, just above where bacon comes from on a hog. Which is near the spine of the hog the outer layers of fat and meat.

The "Fat Back" is usually salted and smoked. It is used to season greens, beans and a lot of other stuff. So it is mostly for seasoning, but some folks eat it. It's real salty and strong.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my cornbread yellow and not sweet.  I like it to come out just a little bit dryish.  I get a big bowl, break the cornbread into chunks, pour milk over it, and eat.  There's a couple of things that are as good, but nothing that's better.  

I found out that my granpa did the same thing.  He died before I was born, and I discovered exactly the same taste, independently.  Mom gave me his cornbread & milk bowl, which is one of the few things I have from him.  (The other being a S&W Military & Police revolver, circa 1909)  

I also like corn cakes with BBQ.  In that case, I like them sweeter and softer and moister than the above cornbread.  

I use the recipe on the bag of White Lily corn meal.  I make it up in a rocket-hot cast iron skillet, which gives it a nice sizzled-crispy crust on the bottom, finished up in the oven, per directions.  I take the no-sugar option.

For corn cakes, I just get the envelope from the grocer.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is the meat, mostly fat, just above where bacon comes from on a hog. Which is near the spine of the hog the outer layers of fat and meat.

The "Fat Back" is usually salted and smoked. It is used to season greens, beans and a lot of other stuff. So it is mostly for seasoning, but some folks eat it. It's real salty and strong.

Thanks, for the explanation. I'm ethnic Chinese, and we have various salted cured pork meat with lots of fat used for flavoring also. I've given up on eating that stuff though, cardiac food.

I heard of "fatback" while watching the old TV show Beveryl Hill Billies with Buddy Ebsen(Jed) and Irene Ryan(Granny) but didn't quite know what it was.

Yellow sweet cornbread for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yellow. Not sweet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
All cornbread is good.
Sweet cornbread is not correct, but I like it anyway.
(In the South, it's called cake if it is sweet)
I like it not sweet, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yellow, sweet, I'm from the Old South!

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Just had ham and bean soup with cornbread tonight uummm um.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I make mine with a can of cream corn in it and some kernels.  Makes it very moist.  When it's too dry feels like I'm eating sand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Yellow,  with the outside hard.  I love it cold the next day with butter and a glass of milk for breakfast. Granny always took it out, turned it over in the skillet and put it back in the oven. She would then turn off the heat and let it stay till the rest of the dinner was ready. It made it hard and kinda crunchy that way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Yellow and sweet. That's the way we ate it in the hills of West Virginia. And that's the way I'll always eat it. Unsweetened cornbread is dog food.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
[Gimli]Salty pork?!!?, Mmm[/Gimli]

BTW I love cornbread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Grandma's cornbread!!

Yellow, a little sweet, with cracklins baked right in.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Yellow and sweet
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
"Cornbread....ain't nothin' wrong with that.."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Yellow and sweet, just like my piss.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#31]
to quote Chris Rock. "cornbread, aint nothing wrong with that."

BTW what is Mexican cornbread? I'm Mexican and my family makes yellow and I guess sweet cornbread?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#32]
yellow, sweetened cornbread in a cast iron skillet with honey butter reminds me that in some places in the world, all is well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sweet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Yellow, not sweet to go with the evening meals. (in a pan...not muffin form)

the next morning, sliced 1/2" thick and fried in butter with either honey or maple syrup on top for breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Unsweetened,

It's CornBREAD, not CornCAKE!

Funny you should say that. Before dad got cancer and passed away I'd make cornbread and bring over for all of us to eat with lunch, he'd say that I made it too sweet, that it wasn't cornbread it was corncake,LOL.   I like it sweet so it'll go good in buttermilk.  I also like it with crackilins in it. It's getting hard to find good crackilins anymore. Most are too tough.  I like using Brown Suger in my "corncake" because I'd don't hardly use white sugar anymore so it's normally all I have on hand.  [
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

And I'm a Southern boy.  Cornbread is NOT SWEET.  If you want it sweet, put honey on it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
ALL

+1

Tonight we had left over Tamaly Pie - ground cooked turkey, corn meal, roasted corn kernels, chopped jalapeno chili, etc. too much type. Think of it as a "Pot Pie" with a corn muffin topping. Tastes better at room temperature.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Unsweetened,

It's CornBREAD, not CornCAKE!

Sweetened corn bread is Johnnycake.  (think yankee food)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I personally like nearly everything that Cornbread has done.

They make good music and the lead singer was one of the Rangers in Somalia incident that 'Blackhawk Down' is based off of.

Cornbread and the Hero fund

Ever since I heard their first song, I have been hooked.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top