Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2004 2:31:42 PM EDT
… For some time now I’ve been planning to build my own scooter. But after riding Harley Davidson’s new 2005 Softail Deluxe today at lunch, I’m really considering abandoning the build project and going right for the new.

… I used to ride a Harley Davidson Softail FXSTC and I loved it. This thing is a beauty though, rides smoother, fixed some quirks that bothered me and went for the complete retro look. Not fond of the color here, I’ll opt for the dark gray me thinks.

… Invest? … Good idea or not?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I say go for it, you only go around once. I am looking to buy this fall also.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
get a Yamaha
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the damn thing already!

Besides, if you change your mind, you can always get your money back out of it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Harleys suck. You will harley ever be able to ride it.

With the exception of a handfull of vehicles, no car or bike is really an investment. It is more true to call it a liability.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, canyou afford it without creating a bind somewhere else in your money??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
How about a Dyna Super Glide?  that is what I am getting.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Whoops!

voted no before I saw the bike in question

change me to........... BUY!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
no motor vehicle is an investment.....

if you like it buy it, if you actually want to ride, get something else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy it. Dump the crossover pipe and install some real dual exausts, other than that it is a great looking bike. Mine is an 03 Ultra.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If i were going to buy a cruiser it would have to be the Triumph Rocket III. 147hp and 147 ft/lbs of torque. 90% percent of torque is available at 1800 rpms. Plus it's a bargain at only $16,000. You'll never see a stock harley doing this:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
get a Yamaha

[:K
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If i were going to buy a cruiser it would have to be the Triumph Rocket III. 147hp and 147 ft/lbs of torque. 90% percent of torque is available at 1800 rpms. Plus it's a bargain at only $16,000. You'll never see a stock harley doing this:

webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/17RIIIwheelie.jpg

Well, at least the dipshit is waring a helmet
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
As I've mentioned many times before, I worked in H-D dealers for 17 years, and it has  usually been the case NOT to buy NEW model year vehicles. They usually have PROBLEMS and in following years the PROBLEMS get addressed. Resist if possible. If not possible, good luck. Not to bag on your choice, but that bike looks a bit "gay". FWIW

AB
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Buy it. Dump the crossover pipe and install some real dual exausts,

Now THERE'S a good idea. Smarter than the engineers huh?

AB
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/17RIIIwheelie.jpg

I checked out the Rocket last weekend....It has got to be one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen. That Looooong engine is damn ugly.

Get a Yamaha

Well, after looking at Harleys for a while, I finally realized that while they are nice bikes, they are just not worth the full MSRP (or more) that they sell for. The yuppies have driven the cost through the roof, Harley has bumped up production numbers by a huge margin to meet demand, and they break down too often. In a few years, being that the market will be saturated with H-D , they will become a better buy.

In the meantime, I just picked up a 2001 Yamaha RoadStar in MINT condition with very low miles and MANY extras for just over $6K. (books for $8500, he needed the money )The guy I bought it from is the original owner, babied the bike, and took the resale value loss(and then some). It won't have the breakdown issues of a H-D, sounds every bit as nice, and the quality control is awesome. There is no way you can convince me that the comparable H-D Heritage Classic is worth 3 times the price I paid.

H-D has a saying.......If you have to ask, you just don't get it.

Well, I get it....at a lower price, MUCH better value(just look at past road tests), and Metric Cruiser owners have a saying of their own.....I am secure enough in my manhood to NOT own a H-D!!

The Softail is a nice bike, but I personally will be waiting until the inflated market comes down.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and ride safe.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Having purchased new and having built a few, I would tend to ask what besides the riding end of the matter interests you? If you have the ability and wish for FAR more performance, then I would say build your own. If you are one that requires others to do your maintenance, then buy new. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#20]

If you've wanted it for a while, go for it.

Quoted:
Besides, if you change your mind, you can always get your money back out of it!

Yep.

Of course, it's easy for us to vote to spend your money.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop torturing yourself like I did awhile ago and just do it.  You only live once.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Stop torturing yourself like I did awhile ago and just do it.  You only live once.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/geneevans/pics_003.jpg

That is one Fugly looking Harley.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Motorcycle Consumer News is a consumer oriented motorcycle magazine, it accepts no advertising and has the reputation for not pulling any punches when it comes to how motorcycles perform and if they have any problems.  Their primary readers are the more experienced motorcyclist, and before someone just says they don't like Harley's, the magazine was started by a long time Harley rider.

Motorcycle Consumer News is not available on the newsstand, it's available only by subscription.
www.mcnews.com/mcn/

Motorcycle Consumer News Quality Rating (Higher numbers are better) Aug 2002 issue
Honda +196
Yamaha +133
Suzuki +61
Kawasaki +34
BMW -27
Harley Davidson -197
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Can we say "Garage Queen"???

Buy a Jap bike, and spend the rest on a Class 3 investment!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I went thru the Harley bug about 4 years ago, at this point I am GLAD I did'nt buy one. I'd be the last person to make an assumption of someone because of what they have, but Harley riders nowadays seem to be mostly RUB's with few daily riders.

I was to buy, I'd buy a Ducati.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#26]
The last thing you are going to say on your deathbed is " Sure glad I saved that cash instead of buying that 2005 Harley that would have brought me years of enjoyment and adventure".
What, are you nuts, if you have the means you always buy the bike!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#27]
But you can build a lot more bike for a lot less money if you want to put out the effort.

I think riding in or on something I built is a lot more satifying and when you ride you can say "I built that" instead of I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
But you can build a lot more bike for a lot less money if you want to put out the effort.

I think riding in or on something I built is a lot more satifying and when you ride you can say "I built that" instead of I bought it.

Spoken from one who it would seem has done so.

Nothing else comes close, especially when you smoke a 1000+ Jap bike off the line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
... That's exactly why I asked you fellas!

... A wealth of knowledge and experience here. Yes, as stated, I really would like to build my own but my patience is wearing thin.

... Another option: Buy the Softail Deluxe and build one at the same time. When done, sell the Softail.

... Again, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Nothing else comes close, especially when you smoke a 1000+ Jap bike off the line.

Interesting, Harleys are the slowest standard motorcycles available on the market today, they are slow.  Last year they were selling a replica of one of their race bikes, one of the magazines asked: "Who else but Harley would build a race replica bike with a 45 hp engine?"

Most of the 600 cc sport bikes will rip an 10/11 second 1/4 mile, most of the Harleys in stock form run in the high 13's to 14's.

Here are the actual performance test results for a stock Harley.
HD Ultra Classic  0-60  6.51 sec
1/4 mile 14.75 sec @ 84.57 mph
Measured top speed  93.9 mph
Twin Cam engine on dyno 59.3 hp, torque 70.3 ft lbs

They can be made to run fast, if you spend several thousand dollars, but if you want to do that, get the S&S engine, it will hold together a lot better than a Harley engine.

As far as "clones" go, let us not forget that Harley stole the V twin engine idea from INDIAN.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
... That's exactly why I asked you fellas!

... A wealth of knowledge and experience here. Yes, as stated, I really would like to build my own but my patience is wearing thin.

... Another option: Buy the Softail Deluxe and build one at the same time. When done, sell the Softail.

... Again, thanks!

If you have the money and the know how, do both.  

My grandfather brought a Harley 45 back with him from Fance in a basket, when he got out of the military in the mid 1950s. Since then, he has never had the chance to purchase another Harley, due to buying a home and starting a family. Do it now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#33]
GET IT.
You want it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#34]
In the case of an air cooled Harley, yes.
A set of Screaming Eagle pipes, either a jet kit and hi-performance air filter or a fuel injection recalibration kit and a set of Sreaming Eagle cams won't hurt the engine and it will make at least 10 hp more.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy it. Dump the crossover pipe and install some real dual exausts,

Now THERE'S a good idea. Smarter than the engineers huh?

AB

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I wouldnt get it, I dont care about bikes.  

I dont plan on trying to own anyhing decent anymore since everything nice I have owned got fucked up by some deadbeat fucker.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Interesting, Harleys are the slowest standard motorcycles available on the market today, they are slow.  Last year they were selling a replica of one of their race bikes, one of the magazines asked: "Who else but Harley would build a race replica bike with a 45 hp engine?"

Most of the 600 cc sport bikes will rip an 10/11 second 1/4 mile, most of the Harleys in stock form run in the high 13's to 14's.

Here are the actual performance test results for a stock Harley.
HD Ultra Classic  0-60  6.51 sec
1/4 mile 14.75 sec @ 84.57 mph
Measured top speed  93.9 mph
Twin Cam engine on dyno 59.3 hp, torque 70.3 ft lbs

They can be made to run fast, if you spend several thousand dollars, but if you want to do that, get the S&S engine, it will hold together a lot better than a Harley engine.

As far as "clones" go, let us not forget that Harley stole the V twin engine idea from INDIAN.

Interestingly enough, you decided to extract only the appropriate text to suit 'your' needs to the rebuttal. Perhaps you should reread what was typed.

Now, if you did in fact reread, you have would noticed I and the other poster spoke of 'building' a bike. Now, perhaps we are on the same page. Have you built a 180+HP bike, yes I did say type 180+? Yes, even without N2O (nitrous oxide)? I have done this a few times. I do not wish to be condescending but, I have blown VZR's and VF1000RF's, and since you are really wondering yeah, even GSXR's off the line. No, I will not claim I was able to withstand the (their) high end but, for several hundred yards, they seen the ass end of an American bike.
Now, not to cheese you off, I have also built many 'Jap' bikes, the last I seen reach 343kph, yes, there was more left but, there was no road and too many vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]

That's fucking FUNNY!
You thought about doing stand-up at the Comedy Store?

Clown.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
And which race bike was this?

Quoted:
[Interesting, Harleys are the slowest standard motorcycles available on the market today, they are slow.  Last year they were selling a replica of one of their race bikes, one of the magazines asked: "Who else but Harley would build a race replica bike with a 45 hp engine?"

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/geneevans/pics_003.jpg

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That's fucking FUNNY!
You thought about doing stand-up at the Comedy Store?

Clown.

Quoted:

Another one of the reading comprehension deficit amongst us?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope, I started posting before you had responsed.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Nope, I started posting before you had responsed.

Quoted:

Before I launched the text, I thought the same, don't sweat it, not that you shall.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#43]
With supply and demand catching up, the price of an 03 or 04 will be very attractive.  Tucson HD has tons of used bikes and great prices on new ones.  

Buy one and get in the wind NOW.  I had to make the same decision, being a car builder, I wanted to build a bike too.  I bought one, and now a second.  I have an 02 FLHRCI, and don't think an 05 would be one bit better.  

I hadn't ridden since the eighties and now have been riding since 01, each and every day, rain or shine.

My decision was made even more difficult because my 1956 pro-street ford pickup was totaled with me in it, in a head on collision.  I doubt it would have been survivable on a bike.  It delayed my decision for a year, and I didn't sleep a couple days before I bought it.  I won't ever regret it.

I don't have a Harley to be a part of a group, to be a biker, or to go to rallies, so every one that wants to throw Harley riders into a stereotype deserve any ill recognition they receive about their "evil black rifles".  Get a fcuking clue.  I also don't burn corners and drag race away from stoplights.  My bike pulls two up, full luggage, 90mph, cruise control, through the mountains with no loss of speed or downshifting.  

It isn't about the price.  It isn't about the speed.  It isn't about the stereotype.  Some people won't ever understand.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Unless you have lots of experience you will not save money building your own.

I've ridden Harleys for almost 35 years now and all I can tell ya is that you get out of them what you put in.  Harleys have "soul" and that's a concept that most folks don't and can't understand.  They're not for everyone.

Of course then there's the "My buddy's, mothers, boyfriends, cousin had one and it..." crowd.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Buy it and buy it outright.
YOu only live once:

My Baby
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/557000-557999/557709_1_full.jpg
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Whatever floats your boat, I could think of a lot of other things to buy
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Buy it and buy it outright.
YOu only live once:

My Baby
memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/557000-557999/557709_1_full.jpg

I have wanted one of those cars.  I saw one for sale but it looked rough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

They are great cars but parts are expensive and many of the systems are just a pain to work on for a shade tree mechanic like myself.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#49]
if you can afford it why not?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are great cars but parts are expensive and many of the systems are just a pain to work on for a shade tree mechanic like myself.

I already have a 95 Impala (mothefucker to work on) and a 78 TA.  All my cars become trouble,

Im looking at picking up an older car, but I expect it will end up messed up like my other 2, right after I got them running good and looking nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top