Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 10:09:55 AM EDT
Has anyone heard if the company will sell standard size mags to the public?
Since Bill is gone, maybe they will ease up on their ban. I know there is a demand for OEM Ruger Mini-14 magazines.

Also does anyone think Ruger is a good investment? The stock has been falling for a while, but it might take a big jump with the sunset and a presedential election.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Other than the mini 14, I don't believe ruger has ever offered more than 10 round magazines for it's guns.  I heard somewhere that they were one of the companies that helped support the AWB to begin with.  It would be nice to have some hi-caps for the MKII pistols, though I've never heard of them.

You can still get hi cap mags for the 14 at Cabelas or Bass Pro.  Something about they're grandfathered.   Go to the site and request a catalog.  I believe they sell them in 20,30, and 40round.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger offered 15 round mags for its P-85 pistol line.

Prior to the AWB, Ruger proposed a 15 round magazine limit compromise as opposed to a 10 round limit. This would allow their P-85 (and most similar) pistols to remain intact with full capacity, and it is also possible that Ruger wanted to limit the Glocks to the 15 shot capacity to reduce competition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ruger offered 15 round mags for its P-85 pistol line.

Prior to the AWB, Ruger proposed a 15 round magazine limit compromise as opposed to a 10 round limit. This would allow their P-85 (and most similar) pistols to remain intact with full capacity, and it is also possible that Ruger wanted to limit the Glocks to the 15 shot capacity to reduce competition.

+1 for 15 rounders for the P series.  Ruger always had 15 rounders for their pistols before 9/'94

The mini's (14, 30) only ever came with 5 rounders.

In order to be competitive, Ruger will probably sell whatever is legal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If they want any hope of competing they will.  What self respecting gun owner would buy a rifle, made to accept standard cap mags, knowing full well there are no good mags for it.  I have a mini 14 and a factory 20 and 30 rnd mag, the rest of the mags I bought before I was enlightened are crap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the Mk. II target pistol ever hold more than 10? It looks like maybe it could...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they want any hope of competing they will.  What self respecting gun owner would buy a rifle, made to accept standard cap mags, knowing full well there are no good mags for it.  I have a mini 14 and a factory 20 and 30 rnd mag, the rest of the mags I bought before I was enlightened are crap.

To help avoid confusion (mainly on my part...) did they come with the rifle or are they Genuine Ruger accessories??

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Im not really sure, my dad bought his mini in the mid 80's.  I'll have to ask him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Until about 1988-89, Ruger sold Mini-14 20 rnd mags to the general public, but sold their 30's only to LEO's.  

Bill Ruger actually helped write parts of the AWB, and did so in such a way as to "protect" the Mini-14 and other Ruger products.  He actually said in a TV interview that he never meant for Ruger hi caps to be sold to "ordinary citizens", and that no mere civilian needed more than 10 rounds.

Well, screw ole Bill.

I would not look for hi caps from Ruger, unless they have put in company leadership that wants to make money rather than run scared.

Fortunately, Federal Ordnance aka Precision Magazine Inc aka PMI made mags as good as the Ruger factory hicaps.

BTW, PMI 20's, 30's, and 40's all run equally well, which is 100%.  20's are tiny little guys.  30's fit in the same pouches as USGI 30's.  40's are REALLY good from a capacity standpoint (two strapped together gives you 80 rnds on the gun), and I keep one plugged in my nocturnal social purposes Mini.  But they hang down quite far.  Forget firing prone with a 40.

Investment?  No, I don't think so.  Consider it more a "beater".
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
No.

I saw one "custom" 17 round MKII pistol magazine.
It had a funky retaining strap to hold it in place and it would not feed reliably.
All for $85....

I think the hardest part would be the straight feed design and the way the mag is retained in the  pistol.

Quoted:
Did the Mk. II target pistol ever hold more than 10? It looks like maybe it could...

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No.

I saw one "custom" 17 round MKII pistol magazine.
It had a funky retaining strap to hold it in place and it would not feed reliably.
All for $85....

I think the hardest part would be the straight feed design and the way the mag is retained in the  pistol.

Quoted:

Funny I have several factory Mk. II mags that hold 12 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top