Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 9:24:39 AM EDT
FIRE-DRAGON PROTESTER BURNED BY 200G BAIL (link)

August 31, 2004 --  A judge yesterday threw the book at a protester arrested for setting fire to a papier-maché dragon near the Garden during the protest march on Sunday.

Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Patricia Nuñez ordered Yusuke Banno, 21, held in lieu of $200,000 bond or $100,000 cash on charges of inciting a riot, resisting arrest and assaulting Police Officer John Park, 26, whose hand was burned making the arrest, authorities said.

Prosecutors said the officer's hand got lodged inside the dragon and he suffered possible nerve damage.

When the stiff bail was set, protesters in the courtroom began shouting obscenities.

When they were thrown out by court officers, several of their fellow demonstrators stormed out after them.

Nuñez refused — for now — to arraign three other protesters who had been arrested with Banno and gave their names as John Doe.

"I will not arraign anybody by the name John Doe," Nuñez said. "Send them back downstairs."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Toss them back downstairs, and up a few times.

Friggin idiot, moron, pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Actions Have Consequences

You put yourselves in that position for your "principals" so now stand up and DEAL WITH IT!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"I will not arraign anybody by the name John Doe," Nuñez said. "Send them back downstairs."

Find them in contempt of court and remand them into the custody of the Sheriff for one year. In a year, bring them back and ask them their names so they can be arraigned on the original charges.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"I will not arraign anybody by the name John Doe," Nuñez said. "Send them back downstairs...and tune 'em until the feel like giving their real names!"

Fixed. No charge.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]

When the stiff bail was set, protesters in the courtroom began shouting obscenities.

If I were the judge, all protesters would have been charged with contempt of court.
I cant stand obscenities shouted by stinky hippies.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is wrong.

Now instead of having to deal with criminals, we now have to deal with victims of civil rights abuse.  Instead of dealing with what these idiots did to a police officer, we now have to deal with a legal system out of control.  Instead of jailing these criminals, we now have to deal with numerous civil law suits about how the judge violated these idiots civil rights.

Judge's job is to process these folks fairly and humanely without creating additional hardships for the police officer in question and the legal system.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If I were the judge, all protesters would have been charged with contempt of court.
I cant stand obscenities shouted by stinky hippies.

Kharn

Now that would be entertaining, some granola crunching hippy dude getting reamed up the ass on Rikers by some large horny inmate, all because he coudl not keep his mouth shut for five minutes.

Only problem is, the stinky piece of human filth probably would enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Hippy scum bag assholes. I hope this idiot gets slammed when it comes time for sentencing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is wrong.

Now instead of having to deal with criminals, we now have to deal with victims of civil rights abuse.  Instead of dealing with what these idiots did to a police officer, we now have to deal with a legal system out of control.  Instead of jailing these criminals, we now have to deal with numerous civil law suits about how the judge violated these idiots civil rights.

Judge's job is to process these folks fairly and humanely without creating additional hardships for the police officer in question and the legal system.

Please forgive my ingnorance, but how have their civil rights been violated?
Doesn't the court have the duty to properly identify those in custody?
How can you process the accused "fairly and humanely"  without determining their true
identity?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is wrong.

How can you process the accused "fairly and humanely"  without determining their true
identity?

By checking the label in their underwear, I am sure their mom's have sewed on name tags!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is wrong.

identity?

By checking the label in their underwear, I am sure their mom's have sewed on name tags!

Underwear?  These folks wear underwear?  I'm not sure I would want to be anywhere near that.  I guess somebody has to do it.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Find them in contempt of court and remand them into the custody of the Sheriff for one year. In a year, bring them back and ask them their names so they can be arraigned on the original charges.

Ohh I like that - Tough and makes a good point.

I nominate AR15fan for a NYC Judgeship.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]
How many court officers does it take to throw a John Doe down a flight of stairs?
None, he fell.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is wrong.

Reread the story, then post.  The judge did EXACTLY as the law prescribes, when dealing with criminals who will not identify themselves.  These fucksticks are getting exactly what they should.  However, I'd upcharge them to presenting a false identity.  Let the fuckers get a lawyer to get out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I like this judge.  What makes civil disobedience functional is the willingness to stand yourself up as a posterchild for the cause and accept the consequences of your actions.  This judge is driving that home to these dipsticks.  They'll identify themselves soon enough.  You do not have a right to withold your identity from officers of the law investigating a crime or possible crime. At the very least, by witholding their identities they could also be charged with obstrcution of justice.

I don't think the judge should incarcerate these idiots for too long (except for the moron with the fire dragon) but some stiff fines and long probationary periods (supervised) would be a good idea.

Beating these kids would be a civil rights violation, but sending them back to holding cells until they wise up is a real good idea. Teach them a little humility and the cost of their actions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy crap, a judge that actually picked up her skirt and grabbed her balls.

Way to go.

Ya shouldn't be lighting shit on fire in the middle of a street.  Unless it happens to be another protestor.

(kidding)

(kinda)

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]
They should be sent to Rikers Island.

It always works On Law and Order.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top