Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2004 8:55:33 AM EDT

Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages

Stupid stupid stupid.

Yeah, I know they're trying to mock Kerry - but that's really poor taste IMO.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
yup, they need to trash the band-aids .... only important thing is to show respect for the soldiers that truely earned them, not mock Kerry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched a CNN reporter "grill" a REP on why she was wearing - came across DUMB!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed.

There's no reason to take the low road.  Kerry does a good enough job of that on his own.

Stick to principals and Bush should win a second term.  Stoop to this level and it just plays right into the Democrats hands.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If Kerry didn't except purple hearts for scratchs this would not be an issue

he (Kerry) is the one who discraced the medal
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I know a guy that got peppered in the face by a grenade in Vietnam.  They stiched him up and put band-aides on his face.  So I do think the band-aide thing is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like I'm n the minoruty, here.

I wish I had thought of them. Serves that scumbag Kerry right.

I read Unfit to Command yesterday (yes, all in one day). I'll have a review later. Believe me, the band-aids are spot-on!

Also, I don't think they besmirch REAL Purple Heart winners one iota.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]
In poor taste.

But considering the subject in the picture, unfortunately, It's not a crime to be tacky.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
that is pretty funny
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
while I agree that the bandaids are in questionable taste, it does speak volumes about how weak "Team Kerry" is if they have to latch on to things like that to garner points.

Seeing how Kerry and Edwards have NOTHING of substance to debate Bush & Cheney on, they will lunge desperately for every scrap they can find.

It shows how blisteringly pathetic "Team Kerry" truly is.

AND IT MUST BE DRIVING DU CRAZY!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey sanctimonious ones, Get over the purple owies. They are great!

(link)

Why is it always so easy for Republicans to fall for Democratic spin? I guess some of you have forgotten the constant attacks on our President? Then I read that a plain-clothed cop gets kicked in the head by protesters, and all we can do is complain that some people might call us mean-spirited?

(give me some room, moderators)

When did we become such pussies? Screw them.

We know that all John Kerry required after they pulled rice from his arm and ass was a band-aid, so what is the problem? Reminding the world that John Kerry is a lying phony SOB who would take a Purple Heart for a self-inflicted brain fart, is PATROTIC.

This is our week to set the tone for victory in November. We should be laying down the gauntlet and not backing down because some things might hurt Democrat feelings. It hurts, because it reminds them that their candidate is a fraud.

Nobody is mocking veterans who honorably served this country by wearing a purple owie. When someone makes that suggestion, tell them to put some ice on that. I know if my union was not so screwed up, there would be a purple owie on my head tonight, and I would be passing them out to passengers at the door.

Toughen up.

comment : not my word but I tend to agree
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Which mocks veterans more? Accepting three Purple Hearts for wounds that required not even a day's worth of hospital time? Accepting a Purple Heart for a self-inflicted minor wound that is less severe than you could get putting up some fence?

Or is the real insult a Purple Heart bandaid? By my view, the only thing that bandaid does is make it crystal clear who the real culprit in demeaning veterans is. I'd love to see John Kerry stand next to one of these guys who lost one or more of his limbs in Iraq and explain the nature of his Purple Heart and how they both rate the same medal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#13]
It is giving purple hearts for scratches, and other  wrong reasons (political, promotion) that demeans the purple heart.

NOT someone pointing out purple hearts were wrongly given.

Don't shoot the messenger  - fix the problem.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Kerry's wounds were so minor they didn't even require band-aids.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
...and TWO of them were self-inflicted due to ineptitude on his part. The third one was a complete joke.

Scumbag should be stripped of all of them!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
It is inappropriate to use the Purple Heart in this way.  
Sure, John Kerry is a chickenshit to accept, let alone request  a Purple Heart for a
minor injury.  I have never served in combat, by I have spent a lot of time speaking with
WWII, Korean War,  and Viet Nam war vets who have.
Many of them had minor combat related injuries, but none of them were ever awarded
Purple Hearts for them.  They all said that it would be a slap in the face to those men who were truly seriously wounded.   Technically he was entitled to the award, but it speaks volumes concerning his morals that he not only accepted them, but requested them, and BRAGS about receiving them.
It is legitimate to debate John Kerry's service record, but it is wrong to engage in any course of action that could be construed (or twisted) as disrespecting the Purple Heart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with this, as modified...

Quoted:

...it is wrong counterproductive to engage in any course of action that could be mis -construed (or twisted) as disrespecting the Purple Heart.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
It was wrong for Kerry to accept or apply for Purple Hearts, it is just as wrong to trivialize the award, which is suppose to be given for being honorably wounded in combat.

Side note: You can apply for decorations? Seems to me that is something for your Commander to decide. I guess I should have applied for my Purple Heart during the first Gulf War for my Appendectomy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It was wrong for Kerry to accept or apply for Purple Hearts, it is just as wrong to trivialize the award, which is suppose to be given for being honorably wounded in combat.

Think about what you just poted -

How is pointing our purple hearts were given out like candy demeaning to the award???

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#22]
You gotta admit they're pretty darn funny!

ETA: She looks like she got hers from a shaving nick...

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
They are an insult to all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040831/i/r3829590006.jpg

Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages

Stupid stupid stupid.

When you start a bad thing ----

you must accept and expect the ripple effect.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They are an insult to allwho received illegitimate purple hearts.

Fixed that for you.

To those who MERITED them, pointing out the WRONGLY awarded medals enhances the value of the medals.

People who did NOT merit them, but accepted them anyway,  DESERVE to be insulted.

I'll NEVER understand why someone pointing out the truth, like these bandaids do, is considered "wrong" by some people.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If Kerry didn't accept purple hearts for scratchs this would not be an issue

Should read as:

Quoted:
If Kerry didn't BEG FOR purple hearts for scratchs this would not be an issue

War is dangerous.
Look at ANY picture from the initial invasion of Iraq.  EVERY SINGLE Marine you see is bleeding.
Try diving into piles of rubble 20 times a day for a couple of months.
You'll bleed.
But a Purple Heart?
No.
I have a LCpl who had a grenade go off near him, and cut his legs up a little.  He had top go to the Bn Aid Station.
Purple Heart?
Nope.
If you give it out for cuts and scrapes, you'll dilute it's true meaning, and it's honor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They are an insult to all.

No - receiving a Purple Heart for a crap reason is an insult to those who received the same thing for making the ultimate sacrifice.

I fully endorse bashing the flipper for snagging that 3rd Heart.  

I'd wear a band aid heart in a second.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you give it out for cuts and scrapes, you'll dilute it's true meaning, and it's honor.

BINGO.

And people pointing out that they were at times given away like candy IS NOT demeaning to the award. It actually enhances it.

But by all means, folks, criticize the messenger.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Which mocks veterans more? Accepting three Purple Hearts for wounds that required not even a day's worth of hospital time? Accepting a Purple Heart for a self-inflicted minor wound that is less severe than you could get putting up some fence?

Or is the real insult a Purple Heart bandaid? By my view, the only thing that bandaid does is make it crystal clear who the real culprit in demeaning veterans is. I'd love to see John Kerry stand next to one of these guys who lost one or more of his limbs in Iraq and explain the nature of his Purple Heart and how they both rate the same medal.

Well said!  I completely agree!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are an insult to allwho received illegitimate purple hearts.

Fixed that for you.

To those who MERITED them, pointing out the WRONGLY awarded medals enhances the value of the medals.

People who did NOT merit them, but accepted them anyway,  DESERVE to be insulted.

I'll NEVER understand why someone pointing out the truth, like these bandaids do, is considered "wrong" by some people.

I could fill volumes with what you do not understand !
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of the time I think you're all wet cyanide (last week for sure ) but this time I think you're right.  Disclosing the truth is fine and Kerry has brought enough ridicule upon the award.  However, he needs no help on that score.  The convention is certainly the wrong place for anything that could be mis-perceived or twisted like I think this band-aid stunt will be.

<spelling>
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I could fill volumes with what you do not understand !

Ahh,  a legend in your own mind.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
This has Carl Rove written all over it.

Yet another Chicken Hawk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#35]
The sad thing is sKerry isn't a minority when it comes to sham awardings of Purple Hearts.  I personally have seen combat troops awarded the PH for extremely stupid crap.

I'd wear a bandaid to disgrace them as well.

HOWEVER - I agree that the RNC was an improper platform in which to display them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There will be no more bandaids... Ed Gillespie had a little talk with the delegate handing them out.  Its pretty clear that the Bush campaign took a dim view of this.

Good ... better to have some class.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Well, I like it.

Where can I get some. I would wear them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Agreed.

There's no reason to take the low road.  Kerry does a good enough job of that on his own.

Stick to principals and Bush should win a second term.  Stoop to this level and it just plays right into the Democrats hands.

agreed 100%
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Agreed.

agreed 100%

Why should they change now ???

too little too late
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#41]
God I hate people!

AB
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#42]
It is a protest against the lying of Kerry..... it is too bad they cannot shame him into coming clean...but he has no soul or conscience
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It is giving purple hearts for scratches, and other  wrong reasons (political, promotion) that demeans the purple heart.

NOT someone pointing out purple hearts were wrongly given.

Don't shoot the messenger  - fix the problem.

Officers have always been a good example of what's wrong with the system. Kerry is a lawyer.. Geuess who knows how to bend the rules best.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Hrm - one asshole (Kerry) shoulnt tarnish the respect we have for any vetern wouned in service of our country and recieve the purple heart.

Be better than him. Nix the heart band aids.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]
During the Vietnam war, anti-war activists were calling the parents of US soldiers who were killed in action and telling them how happy they were that their son's had been killed in the war. THAT is "low-class and STUPID".

Those band-aids are a pin-prick compared to the pain and suffering Kerry and his ilk visited on the veterans of that conflict and their families.  I hope it haunts him to his fucking grave.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#46]
They should throw them (PH band-aids)in the trash, just like Kerry did.  

They can always recalim them in the future, just like Kerry did.............dontchaknow!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
During the Vietnam war, anti-war activists were calling the parents of US soldiers who were killed in action and telling them how happy they were that their son's had been killed in the war. THAT is "low-class and STUPID".

Those band-aids are a pin-prick compared to the pain and suffering Kerry and his ilk visited on the veterans of that conflict and their families.  I hope it haunts him to his fucking grave.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:30:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Personally I liked the humor, but it probably won't play well to the masses.

GM
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Gawd damn people, where's your sense of humor?!?!? I think it's funny as hell and makes an excellent point!

Denigrate/minimize the real PH? Bullshit. Some of you need to be kicked down to the DU.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top