Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 7:00:19 AM EDT
When I remove it through add/remove programs it reinstalls itself at start-up? This is seems to be an evil Microsoft plot to prevent me from fully switching over to Mozilla. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't easily do it.  It's integrated.  You can make Mozilla your default.  But you will lose some functionality in Windows if you maually remove IE.  Just don't use it.  Your anti MS anger will just end up trashing your machine if you try to remove the files manually.

Step 1: Rename Migration DLL Files
NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
In the Named box, type iemigrat.dll; migrate.dll; 9xmig.dll.
In the Look in list, select My Computer, and then click Find Now.
In the list of found items, right-click the Iemigrat.dll file that is stored in the C:\Windows\System folder, and then click Rename.

Note If Iemigrat.dll is not found, continue to step 6.
Rename Iemigrat.dll to Iemigrat.old, and then press ENTER.
Right-click the Migrate.dll file that is stored in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\W2K folder, and then click Rename.
Rename Migrate.dll to Migrate.old, and then press ENTER.
Rename the 9xmig.dll file to 9xmig.old, and then press ENTER.
On the File menu, click Close.
Step 2: Remove Registry Keys
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To remove the Windows registry keys that are associated with the migration DLL files, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Expand the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration\100

NOTE: If this key is not present, continue to step 8.
On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
In the File name box, type migration 100, and then click Save.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
On the Confirm Key Delete message that appears, click Yes.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration DLLs

In the File name box, type migration dlls, and then click Save.
In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the entry that has the following value:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\W2K"

On the shortcut menu that appears, click Delete.
On the Confirm Value Delete message that appears, click Yes.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Migration\650

Note If this key is not present, go to step 19.
In the File name text box, type migration 650, and then click Save.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When the "Confirm Key Delete" message appears, click Yes.
Quit Registry Editor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's Windows File Protection doing that, I think. Same with Media Player 9.

Just use another browser as your default. You'll need IE for windows update, etc.

(Although IE with XP sp2 has a nice popup blocker now, seems to work well.)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
MS IE is part of the windowsXP/98/95 etc. Don't mess with it, just don't use IE and you will be fine. Use Opera, Mozilla etc in place of IE. You will also need IE to autoupdates to your Windows OS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]

You can make Mozilla your default

Edited:

Hey warlord...  glad to see you on 'the team'    
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I guess I will have to live with it being there and just not use it. Leave it to Microsoft to make choices for you. Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top