Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 3:50:26 AM EDT
I was thinking of buying a new 22lr pistol and wanted to know your thoughts on the Neos. I already have an Ruger 22/45 with a red dot, and I wanted another pistol with only iron sights. I am thinking about geting the 7.5in barrel in SS. http://www.galleryofguns.com/prod_images/JUDS75X.jpg

Justin

(edited to add:SIG Trailside)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanted a Neos until I held one and the safety sits down too low on top of my hand. I'd rather have a Mark II Ruger or a Browning Buckmark.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I also found a neat 22 made by SIG. The trailside, http://www.galleryofguns.com/prod_images/h90102.jpg

any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Browning Buckmark, standard model.

Forget what anyone says about Browning.

Mine shoots like a rifle and it's the gun I own that I clean THE LEAST. I mean, I borderline abuse it and it keeps chugging along.

I squirrel hunt with mine. It's as accurate or better than you or I are.

Mine cost $235 3 years ago, the price locally has gone up to a whopping $250.

If you want to spend more buy the other brands. Personally, I don't see the point in it.

ETA: Also a BREEZE to take down and clean. When I clean mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The trailside is a great gun. Have done side by side shoots with Neos, high end Buckmark models, S&W 41, upper end old High Standards, Ruger gov't target model.

I group best with the Trailside. So does everyone I know who has tried one.

Everyone who shoots it loves it.

Get the Target model, 6" barrel. The Competition model is an extra $$, and adds only the contour grips and a barrel weight. Both the grips and the weight are available separately.

Still figuring out which ammo it loves best, but the current standby is Federal 38gr hp std vel, bulk pack I picked up long ago at Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
btw - the Trailside is actually a Hammerli, just marketed as Sig in the USA. Do some searching on Hammerli and you'll understand the pedigree. They make those funky space-gun looking .22's used in the Olympics, although I don't know what % of this year's Olympic shooters had Hammerli guns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the Browning Buckmark.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest buying a used High Standard Or Colt 22. There are some sweet high quality guns in the used 22 market.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the sig trailside target with the 6" barrel and adjustable sights. I realy like it. I shot it a lot this summer and had a lot of fun. John
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Walther P22 I have has been fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Colt Target Model 22, 6" barrel

The Neos felt good in my hand, but I haven't shot one.

brasspile from this site hates his Trailside. Drop him an IM if you have questions. Again, I haven't shot it.

I've shot Buckmarks, Rugers, and that Colt. The Colt is my favorite, with a high-end Buckmark (some sort of competition model) coming in second.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Neos and its pretty nice. It's an Inox 6" stainless. shoots great, I've put roughly 10 bricks through it. a few stovepipes using shitty Rem bulk golden HP. CCI runs very nicely though. I also call Beretta and they faxed me an exploded parts diagram. After a few bricks a decided to attempt a trigger job which reduced trigger pull to around 3 pounds. Now it really shoots well. also put a red dot on it. It's a really great little plinker. paid 269.00 If your looking for info go to rimfirecentral.com, they have a large number of u22 neos users with info on the gun...
Dr. Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 6" Trailside with adjustable sights and the funky blue non-adjustable grips.  Love it.

It's light in the hand (unlike my friend's bull-barrel Ruger) hyper-accurate, has a dovetail for scope rings (and the OS factor of the gun goes up by a factor of 10 with the scope on it).

Only three downsides, and they're not huge:
1.  I'd prefer it was stainless.  Gotta be a lot more careful keeping it dry.  (No rust, but that's only because I'm aware of the risk.)
2.  Some of the plating on the inside of the slide has worn/chipped off.  Since I bought it used, I have no idea how many rounds it has.  It hasn't had any effect other than cosmetic, and that's only during cleaning.
3.  I recently had to file off a little bulge of metal on the slide release.  The bulge was keeping the lever from properly engaging the slide (so the slide either wouldn't lock back, or wouldn't release easily).  Seems to work fine now.  (I hate filing metal off - I'd rather hammer it back into place - but there's plenty left.)

I have found that my Trailside feeds better after it gets about 50 rounds through it (this is after cleaning).  When it's squeaky-clean, it tends to misfeed/stovepipe/etc.

Unlike all my other pistols (Glocks and NAA G380), it has an external safety, so it includes one more aspect of training for new shooters, plus the light recoil - enough to feel, but not enough to be afraid of.

My favorite gun is whichever I'm shooting or carrying, but I can unreservedly recommend the Trailside.  Get one, you'll never regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top