Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, In fact the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It's 0400; I gotta go drive a Bus, and I'm hungry.
Can't argue with you there!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my job, and I get paid decently for a just-graduated-in-May kid.  Its not as high as my classmates for starting salary (about $10k/yr lower, after 3 years we'll make about the same), but then, its not every day you get to play with the toys I get to play with.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm already discovering that my salary is insufficient to buy a home in a decent area, no matter raise a family on it.  I'd have to leave this job for sure.  Kinda sucks.  Then again, to get any sort of decent house on Long Island, it takes atleast $400k.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree.
My career of choice doesn't pay dick for a very long time.
Hence it isn't the career I'm doing.
I settled on something I'm good at, but don't overly enjoy just to make enough money to live.
i can do the other as a hobby if I want. So it's basically a compromise.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the author of the article in question makes some very good points from the standpoint of practicality.  But the truism, "Do what you love and you will starve" isn't logical in itself.  If you love being a doctor or successful lawyer you certainly won't starve.  I happen to love my job and it doesn't happen to pay very well, but I'm certainly not starving.  I can't think of many other things I could hack doing every day that would make me better off.
I think that what is ignored in the article is that there are different strokes for different folks.  People have very different motivations in life and different temperments.  I surely could have (based upon my intelligence level and opportunities) done many other things that would have led to me having a materially better endowed life, but I don't need nor want that.  I never have.  And I believe that many of those alternatives would have made me so miserable that I might not even still be alive today.
For me the most important take home message that I give younger people is that if you do what you love you may end up not loving it anymore.  That's the REAL trap that I see.  Once something becomes an all consuming day to day effort it's very easy to "fall out of love" with it.
Advice is cheap, but people are complex.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on what you love.  I love writing software, so I'll not starve.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top