WW1 ?

WW2 ?

Vietnam ?

Now ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 EDT
[#2]

Each unit has a TO&E (Table of Organization & Equipment) which dictates what weapons and gear each soldier will be issued.  In my battalion, there is a CWO-3 in charge of this, who can essentially write it as he sees fit.  We are an Air Defense battalion, and we were virtually all issued M-9 pistols.  Even last year, as we were preparing for deployment to Iraq, there was to be no change to our weapons issue.  I as well as many others hoped to pick up an AK as fast as possible, in that situation.  We were deactivated before deploying, however, so I never had the chance.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The only time I ever was Issued a M-16 in the Army was in Basic.....

I had a .45 and then a 9mm the whole time...

Heck I even had a M-9 bayonet to cut open tootsie rolls with.

Look at 82's post and add pilots, and tank drivers (after they got rid of the 45 cal subguns), and that pretty much sums it up for anything I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...Vietnam - officers, some NCOs, medics (unknown who else)...

In the army at least:
MP’s
Counter-intelligence types (often issued Colt Detective Specials)
Some air crew members
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much everyone on Crewmember Flight Status. Most of the Non-Crewmembers are the maintenance/Technical Inspector types.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]
TO/E are done at the DOD level, getting them approved and changed is the equivalents of acts of god.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I was issued a sidearm only when on watch on the boat.

I have friends (US Navy -aircraft maintenance) in Afghanistan, everyone is issued a sidearm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]
M1 Abrams crews are issued two M9s (and two M4s).

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#9]
as a gunner in a mortar platoon in the guard in the late 80s, my issue weapon was a 1911A1. BTW, this was a light infantry unit. Co C 1/169 Inf, 43d bde, 26th (Yankee) Infantry Division.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
M1 Abrams crews are issued two M9s (and two M4s).

It's been a few years, but I think my crews may have had three M9s, some had four, and we carried only one M4 - we were supposed to carry two M4s, but during training we only had one on board.  The loader was the designated M4 guy.

Cavalry Bradley crews carry M9s (driver, gunner, BC), while the 2 dismounts (aka GIBs: guys in-back) carry an M240 and M203.  Pretty good firepower for a 2-man fire team.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
1St Cav Frontline Engineers,Colt 1911A1,Company courier and mail clerk,and sometimes company clerk!

Hell being the only Engineer in the company that can run a typewriter(39 words per min) and a high school graduate!!! Shit son  I was cutting my own passes and droping the First Sarge off just past Freedom bridge and heading for CC1!

Oh to be 18 again!!!  And  John got killed that year ,I remember I felt sorry for little john,and carolyne!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#12]
In WWI and WWII soldiers could easily bring their own handguns from home (or even get them sent to them from their parents at home via the mail!).

I have heard of plenty of stories of enlisted men bringing home 1911s from WWI, so my guess is they were widely available for front-line troops.  If you think about trench warfare, a handgun is mighty useful.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WWI - I can only guess

WWII - officers, some NCOs, medics

Vietnam - officers, some NCOs, medics (unknown who else)

Now - include machine gunners, officers: to the discression of officers in certain units.  some choose to carry M16s, or M4s.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#14]
The horse Cavalry all carried pistols.  Pershing's Mexican Expedition was horse Cavalry, and armed with rifles and pistols.  The US Army maintiained horse cavalry units until the end of WWII, just incase that mechanization idea didn't work out right (1st Cav Div fought as Infantry in the Pacific, but the 2nd Cav Div remained in CONUS and kept horses).  

Military Police Corps is another big pistol using branch of the Army.

In Vietnam, the guy with the M79 grenade launcher had a pistol.

Vehicle crewmen and aircrewmen have pistols.

As noted, it's all distributed by the TO&E.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top