Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 11:28:25 PM EDT
Hi.

Picked up MORE boxes of Korean 3006. After inspection, several (approx 7) were found to have small nicks, lines, and weird things on the lip near the head. What should I do with these rounds? Pop the bullets off, and givem' to a reloader (same for the brass) or donate them to some worthy cause?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
To me, if they are not green from corrosion, or bent or serverely distorted, I think it would be okay to shoot, but I would try to shoot like one or two at a time, incase there is a problem you won't have to deal with a whole clip worth of ammo.

OT: If you do decide to pull the bullets out of the case, you will need to put the ammo in loading press, and use the seater die to push the bullets down a tad to break the neck seal. I will bet that most military type ammo have a tar-like neck sealer, and if you plan to pull the bullet with a kinetic bullet puller/hammer, you need to break the neck seal, otherwise you will pounding until the cows come home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's down to 2 now. Most had a brass flake (WTF?) stuck on the lip which gave the impression of a crack or deformity. Interesting. This perhaps could be a new Korean flaw-Brass chips/flakes?

I am just attempting to make sure this surplus ammo is safe for my rifle.  

Ben
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's down to 2 now. Most had a brass flake (WTF?) stuck on the lip which gave the impression of a crack or deformity.

I think what you have is a what is called delamination? That is not safe to shoot in your gun. You could pull the bullet, which is still good even though its coated with neck sealer and save it for later use, and take a pair of plier and squash the case mouth close and toss it into the recycle bin.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
So you're telling me, that the little brass slivers on the rounds (that gave the impression of cracks) I picked off are still screwed rounds?

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top