Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:24:01 PM EDT
Can some people give me some ideas (recpies) of good stuff to cook, Im gettired tired of noodles, and what I can deepfry.
Its just me so I dont need giant meals or anything thats alot of work.
Also if possible nothing wth alot of onions they make me sick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Um..

You could grill/sear + bake a steak and nuke a potato and mix in some cheddar, bacon, chives, and butter when its done.. and maybe saute a side of hericot vertes.. ?

and a grilling any kinda seasoned meat and putting it in a toasted bun with some type of spread and some lettuce and tomato is always good and easy..
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
A goat.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Diced potatoes are always good deep fried. Leave the skin on them and use some Mrs. Dash to season them when they are done. Boneless chicken rolled in flour, egg, and pepper is a quick snack that is easily deep fried as well. Sorry that these are not the best recipies, but I was trying to think of stuff to deep fry that is easy, and can be modified to suite the amount you need without much effort and recalculating. Please remember that almost anything tastes best with melted cheese on top.  ETA - if you are sick of noodles try different types of rice dishes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The steak thing sounds good.  I need to get me an outdoor grill again one day soon, and convince myself I dont need one of those Supergrills at Sams.

Im trying to step a little away from the deepfryer, deepfried foods 5+ times a week might not be good for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear crack is pretty nice stuff to cook, Also make your self some cash.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So is meth, but I dont care for jail time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So is meth, but I dont care for jail time.

Meth will get yeah killed, Kaboom
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
What do you like?

Give me a list of some of your favorite ingredients and I'll come up with some stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm currently single and cook for myself.  My last grocery trip (from what I can remember):

Fresh Salmon Filets
Bag of frozen Tilapia
2 Fresh Swordfish steaks
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package of chicken wings (I separate these and make buffalo wings)
2 or 3lb pack of ground round
2 ribeye steaks
Couple of jars of spaghetti sauce and pasta (for when I'm too lazy to do much cooking)
assorted salad greens
salad dressing
apples
peaches
oranges

I don't do much deep frying but when I do it's something like shrimp or catfish

Edited to add: I know my list probably looks kinda freaky.  At one time I tried a paleolithic diet (you basically don't eat anything that can't be eaten raw, but you can still cook it) and it has stuck to me for several years.  The pasta doesn't fit into that, but I don't follow it strictly anymore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Pork Chops...

A little oil
Medium high heat on the stove.
5 minutes each side (standard approx 1/2" to 3/4" thick chops)
Flip 'em over a few times.... don't do the 5 minutes all at once.
Sprinkle on some SPICE ISLANDS "Italian Herb" spice (it comes in a jar, every supermarket has it).
Sprinkle on some pepper.

Mashed potatoes...
They come in a box these days.  Done in a couple minutes... and they're not even fake.
Boil the water/butter.
Add the package plus some milk.
Stir.  - Lots of good flavors too!

Salad...
No, I've never met anyone who'd screw this part up.  If it's prepackaged crap.. just wash it first, otherwise it usually has a chlorine taste.  A couple of different dressings.  Or just have a tray/pile of cut/washed vegetables and some ranch or thousand island dressing.  It's all good.

Bottle of  whatever... just in case it all tastes like crap.

I assume the only reason you care is because you're cooking for a girlfriend/wife.  If not just eat the meat and drink the booze and screw the rest.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
A good way to turn the instant mashed taters into garlic mashed taters is to sprinkle about half a teaspoon of garlic powder over the mash.  Chopped chives are also good.

If you don't have a Foreman Grill, I might be able to set you up with one.  Wife and I have one of the big ones, never use it any longer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I assume the only reason you care is because you're cooking for a girlfriend/wife.  If not just eat the meat and drink the booze and screw the rest.  

No I just got tired of the same 4 or 5 items and wanted to learn to make something diffrent that isnt hard.

Good one but hard.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts and shrimp
Soak in Vodka and terayki sauce for 30-1hour
cook with butter and more sauce on really low for 45 min or so
serve with rice

Good meal but takes clost to 3 hours to prepare and eat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh ya here is one of my favorite recipes.. easy also..

ORANGE SHOYU CARAMELIZED SALMON From the Kitchen of:  Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Chef Craig Connole

Ingredients:
Two 6oz. Salmon Filets
1 Tblsp. Oil
1 oz. Soy Sauce
1 oz. Grande Marnier
1/4 Cup Sugar

Instructions:
Season salmon with salt and pepper.  Press salmon into sugar for three seconds and then remove.
 Heat a sauté pan to medium high heat, then add oil and place salmon in pan, sugar side down.
 Cook until sugar becomes a dark caramel color.  De-glaze the pan off heat with soy sauce and
Grande Marnier.  Turn the salmon over and remove from pan.   Place salmon, sugar side up
on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 350° F. for 4-6 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Taxman, your best friend is Italian Dressing.  You can use it on just about anything stir fry.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Got some good ideas here.

MMM CLP fried chicken....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#18]
You could do what I do  …… Google for recipes

I cook for myself probably 4-5 times a week . I actually like cooking and don’t mind
complicated recipes . Other times , nothing beats a simple steak on the grill with roasted
potato's and corn on the cob ( What I had tonight ) .

I also cook ahead , things like Chili , Beef Stew , soups , Etc .... then I freeze single servings in vacuum bags for the nights when I just want something quick . Pop it in the Microwave , or boiling water for a few min's and your set . Personally I think good food is always worth the effort that goes into it .

The only problem is that my Girlfriend , Kids and Ex wife like my cooking too , and just love to raid my freezer and leave requests for their next visit ....  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Got a crock pot?   Great way to cook for one or a family.

Chicken or pork chops, put in a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup white wine, sprinkle with red pepper and top with a little dried mint.  Cook on low all day. The meat will just fall apart and can be cut with a fork. Add a little flour to the juice and bring to a boil in the crock to make a good gravy and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.  You can make all kinds of soups and stews in one too.

Eating cheap? Make some Whatisits. Brown a pound of ground meat and stir in a can of ranch style beans. Take a can of cheap biscuits and place in a muffin tin. Place a spoonful of meat and bean mixture  down in the biscuit dough and top with shredded cheese and bake according to the biscuit directions. Add a little Pace on top afterward and it's good to go. Any left over meat and beans make good burritos or add to a can of tomato soup and you've got another cheap, filling meal.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]
bake a potato
poke it with a fork
rub it with oil
wrap it in tin foil
throw it in a 400+ degree oven for about an hour
top it as you please.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Crock pot (or slow cooker) stew.

Get a 3 lb hunk of your favorite cut of roast.
1 pack of Au Juice.
2 cups (total) of chopped celery, carrots, onions and mushrooms.
2-3 cups of water.
Tablespoon of salt, pepper, garlic and italian seasoning.
2 good sized spuds cut up.

Put the roast in the cooker
Mix the water and the Au Juice, pour over roast.
Place cut up veggies and spuds around roast.
Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic and italian on top of everything.
Set temp to lowest setting for 8-10 hours.

If you don't want all the fat that's gonna drip off the roast - drain the liquid from the cooker, place it in a pan or bowl, stick that in the freezer for about a half hour.
Skim the fat/grease off the top, then return it to the slow cooker on high for about a half hour.

For one person you should have enough meat and fixings for two or three meals, a few roast beef sammichs and a couple of beef burros.

That's what I do when I cook, I make extra portions of the meat so the next day we can have beef/chicken/pork burros, nachos or sammichs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#22]
basic simple stroganoff (sp)

boil water- make 1/2 bag or so of wide egg noodles
brown 1 lb hamburger with some fresh garlic and onion-drain
add pepper to taste
add one can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
add 3/4 to 1 cup of sour cream-i use light
mix up and put on noodle pile
garnish/top with parsley flakes if you wish

very quick and pretty good too!
can use diced chicken if you like instead of HB
some people add mushrooms too

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#23]
hint with roasts and crock pots- you can trim all the fat off the roast you can- there will be plenty of juice/fat from the roast anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Take enough ground meat to make a decent sized hamburger and brown it in a skillet. Chop it up and let all the pieces cook. Dump a can of pork and beans in with it, stir it up and let that heat up. Eat it straight from the pan and dab at the sauce with a few pieces of loaf bread. Easy, tasty, qiuck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A goat.

you can't ride home on a bowl of goat!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Any vegetarian ideas?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:53:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been cooking a lot of curry dishes lately. I make a big pot of it on weekends, then freeze portions in those disposable plastic tupperware like containers you can get (usually located next to sandwich bags).

Most of them are pretty easy to make, some spices and liquid in a pot, cut up some meat and maybe some veggies in it (can be vegitarian), and let it simmer for a while.

Same thing works with chili, beef stew, chicken soup, etc.

I take one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge in the morning.

When I get home, I cook a pot of rice, microwave the curry, and it's supper.

My biggest problem with cooking is that I'm doing it for one person. I try to make stuff where the leftovers keep well so I don't end up tossing out half of a meal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]
When I was single I'd do my heavy duty cooking on Sunday.  Stuff like lasagna, manacotti, and cannoli take some time to make, but they freeze so well. You just wrap them up in individual sized portions and you're good for the week.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I was gonna level my jambalaya recipe on ya, but since your criteria for cooking is little or no work it fails in that category. It's preperation intensive. Same for Puerco Pibil.

Think: RAMEN
OK, here's an easy one.

Get as many chicken breasts as you want, skinless or regular. (I use this recipe for 5 breasts)
get 3 lemons.
melt 2 TBSP. canola margerine, squeeze the lemons into the margerine
Preheat oven to 350. Place the breasts on a cookie sheet
cook the breasts for about 5 min a side
after that, turn the breasts and brush with lemon/margerine mix every 3-4 minutes until breasts are done.
While the breasts are cooking, motivate your lazy ass to cook some Uncle Ben's long grain & wild rice

Simple meal. No rocket science involved to cook it. Tastes great. NOT fried.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Same for Puerco Pibil.

what is that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#31]
stuffed chicken breasts, makes 4-6
half a cup of feta cheese,(I like the tomato, basil mixed type)
A block of cream cheese
1 whole red or yellow pepper
a couple of green onions
dice the pepper and onion, and mix with both cheeses. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice.
Slice each chicken in the middle to form a pocket. Stuff with the mix.
You can bread them first if you like. I take the ranch style crutons and crush them in a bowl. Coat the chicken with egg and then dip in the cruton dust.
Bake for 40 min at 350.

Garlic chicken wraps- depends on size of chicken, but a 5 pound one makes about 15 wraps
you need a roticery(sp) cooker for this
peel out 4-6 pieces of garlic, and stuff them under the skin of the chicken in various places
then coat the whole chicken in sesame seed oil. Takes about 2 hours in the roticery(sp) and you coat it again every 15 min.
Use flour tortials for the wrap. I usually slice up the white end of the green onions for flavor in the wrap, and use black bean paste mixed with soy sauce in the wrap as well.

Vegetable fried rice. makes a full wok of rice, or about  6 big bowls.
Cook rice in a steamer first(takes about 30 min) about a cup and a half to 2 cups of uncooked rice.
you need
2 big handfulls of bean sprouts
6 eggs
1 bunch green onions
2 table spoons salt
1 large carrot
2 celery stalks

dice the celery and onions
cut up the carrot into small slices, split the carrot lenght wise to make the pieces at the large end smaller.

after the rice is done

scramble the 6 eggs

heat up about qtr of a cup of oil till it is smoking and then scramble the eggs

take it out of the pan when they are cooked.

put another qtr cup of oil and heat it till it smokes
then stir fry the celery, onions, bean sprouts and carrots

When they are done, add the rice, egg and salt to taste, and mix it all up.

For those that don't just eat veggies,
you can crock pot a side of pork to go with the fried rice

in the pot, add 2 slices of ginger root, one green onion, 1 to 1 and a half cups of soy sauce, star anis if you have it, and say 4 table spoons of sugar. Then water to cover the meat.
Use something like pork shoulder with the bone in or not. Let it cook for about 6-8 hours.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top