Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:11:10 PM EDT
I hosed out the garage today and took some stuff to the storage unit. I put the key in the lock, turned and pulled the lock into two pieces. WTF?! I knew immediately that I had been burgled. I went to the office just around the corner and told the owners that my lock had been cut and I had not opened the unit yet. She followed me back and I opened up the unit, saw all my good stuff missing and let out a major blue streak. She witnessed my outburst and asked, "were you robbed"? I wanted to say, no, I just cuss a blue streak every time I open my unit and see all my stuff tucked safely away. some people are slow to catch on.

As it turns out I am shy several thousand dollars of tools and sporting goods.

Officer Stadanko was busy taking reports elsewhere and didn't show. After three hours the storage owner called the cops off till I get off work tomorrow. Hopefully my homeboners insurance covers storage units. If They do, the good news is that I have replacement cost, the bad news is they severely prorate and pay the difference after you buy the item and produce a receipt. Then they will increase my premium. Bastages, thieves and insurance.

I'll know more tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF is burgled?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF is burgled?

That thing them silly guys to to you from behind I think!

Sorry for your losses man that sux!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
fuckin' lazy people...won't get a damn job....so the steal from good people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What part of Washington and who are the local po-pos?

Post in the Wa hometown forum, one of the JBT's might be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
sometimes I think the owners of the Storage units are the ones up to this kind of shit
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Be interesting to find out if you were targeted for having cool, expensive stuff or if it was random and others got hit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Having worked for a storage company with many facility accross a few states, I can say that it is usually not the managers.  However, that may just be my facility, as it was ran by a retired Lt. Col from the Army, a Chaplain to boot.  Great guy who passed away after I left.  He had a month to retirement too. Anyway, every time you sign up for a unit, get renter's insurance.  The office usually has pamphlets right at the desk.  However, I never saw anyone take them.  But not many people stored super expensive stuff either.  Except for that guy and his Gold Wing...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Be interesting to find out if you were targeted for having cool, expensive stuff or if it was random and others got hit.

I may have been targeted. They would have had to see me in my unit, which is infrequent. No one but my wife and kids have been there. Perhaps someone saw it when it was open.

No other units were burgled.

No surveylance. 6' chain link fence with three rows of barbed wire, not a major deterent.

I am sure that they drove in and cut n run. Dewalt chop and table saws with stand for the chop saw. BIg assed heavy bag of scuba gear. Freestanding antique oval mirror, WTF? 8hp outboard. RCBS pot and some other stuff. Way too much heavy stuff to be hauling off by hand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats homeboners, burgled?  I wish these guys would learn to type in english.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Whats homeboners, burgled?  I wish these guys would learn to type in english.

Homeowners insurance and burglarized. Hows that, Gramps?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may have been targeted. They would have had to see me in my unit, which is infrequent. No one but my wife and kids have been there. Perhaps someone saw it when it was open.

No other units were burgled.

No surveylance. 6' chain link fence with three rows of barbed wire, not a major deterent.

I am sure that they drove in and cut n run. Dewalt chop and table saws with stand for the chop saw. BIg assed heavy bag of scuba gear. Freestanding antique oval mirror, WTF? 8hp outboard. RCBS pot and some other stuff. Way too much heavy stuff to be hauling off by hand.

Wanna bet it's someone you or a family member know?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
A good friend took us for about $5k.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Wanna bet it's someone you or a family member know?
No.
It is possible, but not probable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a locker at one of those storage places.  I lost my key so I got a hack saw and made my own key.  They didnt ask me for ID or anything.  I emptied the contents into my truck and drove away.  Never stopped me or even questioned me.  Security for ya.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
For those of you asking about the word 'burgled', it is indeed a word.  From Miriam Webster Online:

Main Entry: bur·gle
Pronunciation: 'b&r-g&l
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): bur·gled; bur·gling  /-g(&-)li[ng]/
Etymology: back-formation from burglar
: BURGLARIZE  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear about your stuff. Good luck with the cops. My mother in-law has had her car broken into and her purse stolen this summer. They were very unhelpful, and she didn't get anywhere with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For those of you asking about the word 'burgled', it is indeed a word.  From Miriam Webster Online:

Thanks gunbert! The dictionary was on my list of things to do, just in case burgled really was a word. I didn't want to lose an opportunity to say

I talked to my insurance today and they will cover me. Its gonna cost me my deductable plus $108/year for three years (no claim discount).
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for saying "burgled" instead of "robbed." bonus points for proper word choice!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Beat me to it.

And I LOVE the expression "homeboner's insurance"!  How... descriptive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
That really sucks, Burglery sucks, cops don't treat it nearly as seriously as they should.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That really sucks, Burglery sucks, cops don't treat it nearly as seriously as they should.

Bingo.. And ya wonder why it keeps happening when Barney Fife can't even roll himself out the patrol car to take a peek.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Robble robble
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Did the guy who did it look like this?

Digital
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#26]
dude.
i was

here

the

whole

time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top