BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:03:16 PM EDT
Rep. Schrock Abruptly Announces Retirement
Monday, August 30, 2004

PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge

RICHMOND, Va.  — U.S. Rep. Edward L. Schrock (search) abruptly announced Monday that he will not seek a third term in Congress, citing unspecified allegations that have "called into question" his ability to serve.

Although Schrock did not comment on why he decided against seeking re-election, several Virginia Republicans said allegations that Schrock is gay have roiled the party since they were posted on a Web log Aug. 19.

Schrock is married and a conservative who voted for legislation to ban gay marriages.

Republicans from Schrock's conservative district, which includes Norfolk and the resort city of Virginia Beach, said they had planned to discuss the allegations at a party meeting Tuesday. Now they'll meet that day to choose a replacement candidate.

"We're shocked and stunned more than saddened right now," said Virginia Beach Republican Party Chairman Mark McKinney. "What I read on the Internet was a complete and utter surprise to me."

Schrock, 63, a retired Navy officer and Vietnam veteran, said in a five-paragraph statement that allegations have surfaced in recent weeks "that have called into question my ability to represent the citizens of Virginia's Second Congressional District."

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe one day homosexuals won't have to use sham marriages in order to represent people with whom they agree on everything except what constitutes "a nice ass."

Would you rather be represented by Ron Paul after he declared himself to be gay, or Barney Frank after he was caught schtupping a 29 year old stewardess?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top