Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 7:56:28 PM EDT
What if everyone who was on welfare, food stamps, low income housing, or any other government program had to take a drug test?   The government:  "Hey, we're giving you this much $$$ per month and we want to make sure you're making the most of it.  If you are doing drugs, we're going to cut you off."  If you're sitting at home all day and smoking weed instead of working there are obvious problems and you don't deserve the government's support anymore.  Just guess how many people would lose their "free" things and might actually have to get up off their ass every morning and work a 8-10 hour day like other hard working Americans, who are actually supporting their laziness and bad habits.

What do you think?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What if everyone who was on welfare, food stamps, low income housing, or any other government program had to take a drug test?  

What do you think?  

Never have better words been spoken on this board.  I elect you for president!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I support that one hundred percent.  But , to play devil's advocate for a second, the other side would cry that it is inhumane to cut off funds for drug addicts, because its not their fault they are addicted to drugs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I support that one hundred percent.  But , to play devil's advocate for a second, the other side would cry that it is inhumane to cut off funds for drug addicts, because its not their fault they are addicted to drugs.

In my best China man voice.  Ahhhh hhaaaa hhaaa haaa you make a funnie
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That would be the first problem

Next is how will they get money to buy thier drugs then.  Large increase in thefts and robberies.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Large increase of self-defense shootings would stunt the rise in crime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be the first problem

Next is how will they get money to buy thier drugs then.  Large increase in thefts and robberies.

Which would in turn raise the ammo used by the other side for stricter gun control.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Large increase of self-defense shootings would stunt the rise in crime.

Arent alot of areas with high welfare populations like Chicago (first one to mind) very anti gun though.  That wouldnt work good for the people those poor addict try to use for their victims.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
YOU"RE A BIGOT!   Racism!   RACISM!   FASCIST!

I've been touting the drug-test plan amongst my liberal friends and the words above just about sum up their response.

It just won't happen despite it being pretty damn fool-proof.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you go about getting an idea like this more publicity?  I think that many (taxpayers) would support it if it could potentially benefit them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#10]
As someone who had to make a urine donation yesterday I fully support the plan.

"I pee!
You pee!

We all pee for monee!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I like it.  The ACLU would have a stroke though.  How dare we question the people who depend on our tax dollars?

Kirk
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What if everyone who was on welfare, food stamps, low income housing, or any other government program had to take a drug test?
What do you think?  

I think it's a WONDERFUL idea, and I have no idea why I've never heard or thought of it before.

Just to add to the devil's advocate pile, there would be the "What about alcohol?" question to deal with too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I second your emotion.

ALL IN FAVOR SAY I
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I suppose that if they receive a paycheck from the government they can then be considered government employees and subject to random testing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I suppose that if they receive a paycheck from the government they can then be considered government employees and subject to random testing.

Now that is a good point.  I say we push this issue. I am tired of my tax dollers going to pay for this kind of crap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't support drug testing, but give me a camera and I'll stake 'em out to see if they're using.  That will work in court too.  But then call me cruel, I don't think most people should get welfare at all in the first place.  I don't believe in punishing the good people who have honestly fallen on hard times, but when I see so many inner city women receiving welfare that have five kids with five different fathers, it frustrates and angers me.  Private groups, if organized properly can and actually do quite well with the food giveaways.  It's the housing that's a problem, because it's too expensive even for people who have enough income/savings to afford it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Every single person in Section 8 housing should be tested.  Had a couple of those houses in my neighborhood and they suck.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I know i'm not the first to think of such a thing.  But I was reminded of it about a month ago.  A suburb over from me there is a large group of public housing/govt apartments.  The city did a staged raid due to a big drug problem there.  They confiscated a lot of drugs/drug money,  guns (that were in homes of felons and stolen) as well as made a few dozen arrests.  I just thought it was crap to let these people have a free place to live (free to them, the bill's on us) and then they use their other money on drugs, guns, etc....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top