Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 4:24:21 PM EDT
Ok... I know somebody out there's got a great SoJu story so let's have it!!!!  There's nothing like bringing back memories of some poor sap face down in a bowl full of his own puke........
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a drinker and as such that made it a given that my CO would give me an extra duty as the company baby-sitter when everyone went "down range" to get lit. The one thing that sticks out in my mind about soju is that due to the higher levels of formeldahide that is in it, the GI's would be feeling pretty good and then all of the sudden BAM! soju starts kickin their butts! It usually happened as the gang wanted to go club hoppin'. Another thing is that in order to recover from a hangover the GI's would start drinkin lots of water the next day--formeldahide tends to stay in the body tissue with a little more permenance than the rest of the booze and as such, they would get drunk again shortly after they started to drink water to recover.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
nothing like the smell of Soju and Kimchi after a good PT run.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
SoJu will give you THE WORLDS WORST hangover!  I've never in my life felt as bad.  It was like somebody was sticking a screw driver in my temple.  No matter how much asprine I took or how much water I drang it would not go away...  Only made that mistake once, got my "greenbean" and that was it!
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
OooooooK.

I guess they never taught us what SoJu is back in ROTC [;)].
One of you boys in green wanna fill me in?

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah...soju and orange juice...a real man's screwdriver!  The funny thing is you can't taste it so you can keep putting it down and then all of a sudden...WHAM!  Next thing you know some old woman is leading you down a dark alley to meet the girl of your dreams!  Any one from Camp Hovey?

Bradd
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Never cared much for "Soul Juice".  Pretty much stuck with OB. I think my personal best was one night my Pard and I drank 28 bottles of Oscar...
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SoJu will give you THE WORLDS WORST hangover!  I've never in my life felt as bad.  It was like somebody was sticking a screw driver in my temple.  No matter how much asprine I took or how much water I drang it would not go away...  Only made that mistake once, got my "greenbean" and that was it!
View Quote

I think it does that because it's so unrefined.  Whereas a Jim Beam goes through 10 or so refining steps (guessing here), soju goes through 1 and it's bottled.

No matter how messed up it gets you, there's not a better priced deal for the GI, W850  for the regular bottle, W3000 for a combat (prices when I was here last time; I've been here a year this time and haven't touched it - I've FINALLY learned!).  

Anyway, your bottle of 'Ju and a $2 deal of Kool-Aid [:X*] and [b]you're SET[/b] ! [puke]

Chris
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
OB kicks ass!!!  Remember Hite?  that's another Korean Beer.  I was in Kwang Ju and the only place you could get a cold beer was on base...  Everything else was half warm.  Got used to it fast though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Never been to ROK,( I like USAFE better) have been to an AMMO bowl (Nellis)and had some SoJu at Eglin long ago.
-XM

Doorgunner are you a 461/2W0 type?

[url]http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8148/html/links.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
    Ever notice the pecking order of alcohol in Korea?  Around payday you were in the clubs drinking OB or Crown.  A few days after payday you were starting to watch your cash so you lowered yourself and drank the cheaper peach Oscar, Portaju and the dreaded Soju.  My favorite mix was 7/8 soju and 1/8 grape soda.  It went down like water and after about 4 of those it was all over when you got hit by the delayed reaction.  One minute you were fine and then next you were out cold or acting insanely stupid, or both, and not necessarily in that order.  Watch out, here comes town patrol!!  [BD]  
    Towards the end of a payday we were usually so broke we would pool our money and head down to the mokkoli tents.  The first bottle of that stuff was pretty nasty, sort of like drinking liquid chalk.  After that you got used to it and it tasted okay.  Anyway, it got you away from the ville and out to meet some of the locals, most of which were pretty cool and appreciated us GI's being there.  Ammo bowls...been to quite a few!  Skinny moms, BJ alley, panty plaques!  Those were the days!  Green beans, brown beans, red wings, white wings and green wings!  IYAAYAS!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OB kicks ass!!!  Remember Hite?  that's another Korean Beer.  I was in Kwang Ju and the only place you could get a cold beer was on base...  Everything else was half warm.  Got used to it fast though.
View Quote

Hey doorgunner.  I was part of the "Kwang Gang" too.  Stationed there from 85-87.  When were you there?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Put it in the freezer for awhile and nothing will go down smoother. Miss the stuff. I think I'll go looking for some tommorow.[beer]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
A little off topic but when I was in the Army and new to drinking I had a bad experience with screwdrivers. I had bought a 750ml Vodka bottle and a gallon of Orange Juice. My two roomates one a fellow AR15.com member and I were watching Heavy Metal Headbangers Ball (how many people remember that one). Well I was drinking screwdrivers out of a 40 once plastic cup and got down almost to bottom of bottle. I threw up [:X*] [puke] back into the cup and filled it up again. From what I remember I believe I was drinking it again when Tim my roomate took the cup away. Darn him! Oh well needless to say I mainly stick to quality beer in small [party]quantities now.

No Slack!

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Never been to ROK,( I like USAFE better) have been to an AMMO bowl (Nellis)and had some SoJu at Eglin long ago.
-XM

Doorgunner are you a 461/2W0 type?

[url]http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8148/html/links.html[/url]
View Quote

462/2W1 brother!!!  But I just got out of Active duty and I'm now in the Air Guard as a gunner on HH-60's
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey doorgunner.  I was part of the "Kwang Gang" too.  Stationed there from 85-87.  When were you there?
View Quote

When I was out at Elmendorf we got deployed there two years in a row to backfill for the Kittyhawk when all that shit was going on in Kosovo and once when Sodam Insane was acting up.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#16]
One more thing guys.....  IYAAY WAITING ON THEM!!! Get it right...hahahahahahahah  Just fucking with ya, fingers on a glove.  Wouldn't be able to load 'em if you didn't make 'em!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh Man!  The sordid details of nights on the "ville".  Ever go to a KAFA diner?  That's where the local big wigs get together with some command rep (usually the XO like me) and just get absolutely hammered.  Well, it's all in the line of duty[;)]  During Team Spirit we were out in the field and had to go to one of these that was put on by the local heffe in the area we were set-up in.  Holy mackral!  When I got back to the tent, my troops threw me out I stank so bad from Soju and Kimchee.  Our Major got so sick he went to the rear and never came back out.  

Ever notice how some of the OB bottles didn't have labels?  That's because they'd just fillup the old bottles from the night before from a keg in the back.  That's why you never saw bottle tops.  At least the stuff was strong enough to kill whatever bacteria was growing in there.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#18]
well it seems that we all know about Soju and Kimchee so here is a link for folks who don't know about the AMMO Bowl part of the question.
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/4664/ammoball.html[/url]
-XM15
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Three simple words:

Second to None!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top