Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 1:50:59 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting the 2005 in XLS trim with teh 4x4 option and a manual transmission.

Anyone got one of these or similar.

Any comparables I should be looking at (i.e., Jeep Liberty, etc).

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Friends don't let friends drive FORD's  jk
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
These are great cars
for women.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
These are great cars
for women.

hahaha

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife wants one of them. I said no

I have driven them as rentals...not bad actually
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Havn't you guys heard that driving SUV's supports terrorism
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Take this for what it is. The wife of a friend of mine works for one of the large auto rental compqanies. They get a new vehicle quite frequently. The last vehicle they got was a Ford Escape with all the bells and whistles. While they generally liked the vehicle, they lamented it's lack of power and poor ride/off road capabilities. I am told the best small reasonably priced SUV by far is the Jeep Liberty. I don't own one, I'm a truck guy, but I respect their opinion due to their extensive experience in this arena.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The gas milage blows for a ride that size.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A total chick truck.  I work in the auto industry and the Escape is a total piece of shit.  No off-road capability.  It's the late and unlamented Contour (worse car I ever owned) dressed up to look like a truck.  Go with the Liberty, a genuine truck with legitimate off-road capability.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the Escape based on the Ranger or Explorer? (Both?)

Does it include the exploding tires of death aka firestones?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
These are great cars
for women.

Yep. 100% bitch truck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's a sedan chassis, like the Toyota 4-Runner, IIRC...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a sedan chassis, like the Toyota 4-Runner, IIRC...

No, the 4-Runner is a legitimate body-on-frame truck, with a low setting in the x-fer case.  It's the Highlander that's the phony bitch truck, based off of the Camry platform.  The 4-Runner actually is my favorite SUV, but man are they pricey.
The Escape is based off of the old Contour platform.  I wouldn't touch one and especially not with the manual transaxle.  They really are crap.  If you really have to get one of these types of vehicles, look at the Chevy Equinox, still a bitch truck, but at least a bit better.
Or get the Jeep Liberty.  A good deal for the money.

Also, Ford no longer does business with Firestone.  I think Bridgestone, FS parent company, is letting the FS brand die.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No off-road capability.  It's the late and unlamented Contour (worse car I ever owned) dressed up to look like a truck.  Go with the Liberty, a genuine truck with legitimate off-road capability.

You'd be surprised what it can do offroad.  It's got a good vicous coupled center differential and decent ground clearnance.

Yes, it doesn't have the low range gear box or other features of the Liberty.  But it also doesn't have the harsh ride either.  I've rented a Liberty several times, and everyone that rides with me complains about the jiggly rough ride.

It's not a Contour platform.  

Might also look at the Nissan Xterra.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice looking but a bit small for my tastes!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#18]
worst vehicle EVER

had to ride in the back seats of one for 4 hrs- christ what a nightmare.  this was a 2002-2003 though.

wobbly ride and most uncomofrtable.seats.EVER!!!!
(at least in back)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 for the Jeep Liberty
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Two guys at work each have one, bought within a month of each other.  The V6 Escapes have good power for their class.  One guy's has been reliable; the other guy apparently got a lemon.  Overall, they are likable vehicles if you want something in that class.

Keep in mind that that the Mazda Tribute is the same vehicle, so you may want to compare deals from Mazda vs. Ford.

The Escape is not built off the Contour platform.  The design is mostly Mazda's work; the engines are Ford.  There's also a new hyrid version.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Incidentally, Ford is building an gas-electric hybrid version of the Escape that raises the mileage substantially...it's a limited production run of supposedly 20,000, with a waiting list already.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 for the Jeep Liberty

Warning - rough, jiggly ride.

Quoted:
Incidentally, Ford is building an gas-electric hybrid version of the Escape that raises the mileage substantially...it's a limited production run of supposedly 20,000, with a waiting list already.

$3000 to $4000 premium (plus anything the dealers add)

That buys a LOT of extra gas for a standard V6
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I wouldnt' call the Escape an SUV, in terms of other SUVs.  It's more like a station wagon that looks like an SUV.    I really doubt it would be powerful enough  or would handle well offroad.

Might be good for road driving... And they have a hybrid version that will get in the 40mpg range, and puts about 200hp out.   Not TOO shabby...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, I liked both of the Mazda Tributes I have driven (haven't driven the Ford-badged version yet).  But I drove them both strictly ON-road.  One belongs to a good friend from work - a few years, lots of miles, zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for the Jeep Liberty

Warning - rough, jiggly ride.

Quoted:

$3000 to $4000 premium (plus anything the dealers add)

That buys a LOT of extra gas for a standard V6

One doesn't buy a hybrid to save MONEY, one buys it to save gas, which despite what some folk think, isn't inexhaustible in supply. It also cuts down on pollution, especially in urban areas. If you factor in what pollution is estimated to cost society in illness, etc, ($100/ton), it makes up for alot of the difference.

Let's see, 20mpg combined for regular Escape, or 33mpg combined. Hmm...at 15000 miles a year, that's 750 gallons for regular Escape, or 454(hybrid). a 296 gallons a year difference, @1.80 here = 532/year. Plus the regular Escape emits approx 9.2 TONS of pollutants per year. Since the hybrid gets about 65% better mileage, this reduces emissions by about 5.98 tons per year. So, using the $100/ton pollution cost, this means that you could save $1132/year ($598 in reduced pollution, $532 in lower gas bill). Admittedly the savings in reduced pollution aren't something that you can directly see, but it adds up to lower healthcare costs in the long run.

If you don't give a damn about what kinda polluted and used up world you're leaving for your descendants, then that's your choice, but I prefer to try to let people know that they DO have a choice to make.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top