Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 1:04:14 PM EDT
Well, I got an Acer 2012wlmi today. For those that are looking for one, I got mine from Electrodiscounts.com. I dealt with a guy by the name Sam. I ordered it on Thursday, recieved it today. I have a few questions to ask the pro's since I'm a real novice at this stuff.

1.Should I make a "restore" or "backup" cd before I do anything?

2.Since I do probably 85% of my computing online, what type of "protection" should I install. I've heard Spybot Search and Destroy, and also Zonealarm. Are these in line with protecting my information? My friends work for a company called StopZilla, does anyone have experience with this software?

How do i set up all the security measures without compromising my new computer?  Also, are there any set DO's and DO-NOT's regarding the internet

Thank you for any information you have to contribute. I appreciate it very much....

John
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Zonealarm is a firewall program that works pretty well. You can download it for free. I use Mcafee firewall software which i paid for and have no regrets.

Look on download.com for a "spyware" detection program called "adaware"...it will find hidden programs on your pc that you dont want.

Install decent virus software, I use mcafee.

3 things you should have (as i mentioned)

a firewall
a spyware detection utility
virus software

enjoy the new machine
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Most computers now come with a restore CD that will allow you to reinstall the Operating System and applications. If yours didn't, then you should have a copy of the operating system on CD, however, this is not something that you can make. Go to a coputer show and pick one up for $5. After that, you should copy all of your personal files off to another media (CD, floppy disk, etc.) periodicly.

2. You will need virus protection. Symantec and Norton make the best. You should have a firewall. You can download a free one from download.com, and you'll probably want a pop-up blocker. You can dowload a very good free pop-up blocker from panicware.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
When I go to d/l the firewall and spyware detection programs(My computer came with Norton AV 2004), how do I know where I'm getting the software from is not compromised? Sorry if these seem like real stupid questions, I just want to get it right the first time

Also, as far as wireless networks is concerned.  I'm sitting here in my apt in Fla., and I can just get on to any network.  Should I not do this and get my own ISP?  I'm kinda new to all this.  My last computer was probably not the most secure.  I sed cable, but unfortunatly my building that I'm in is not able to support cable modems(old system).  I just signed up for T-Mobile's HotSpot service so I can get on the net from Starbucks and Borders, etc.  Hopefully I'm wording all this right.  Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming you're running XP Home or Pro, I'd highly recomend getting on another computer besides your new one and downloading XP Service Pack 2 and burn it on a cd. It has most all the updates to protect you form the various worms/spyware out there that you will get as soon as you get online.
Also get Spybot and AdAware - I run both!

XP Service Pack 2
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Assuming you're running XP Home or Pro, I'd highly recomend getting on another computer besides your new one and downloading XP Service Pack 2 and burn it on a cd. It has most all the updates to protect you form the various worms/spyware out there that you will get as soon as you get online.
Also get Spybot and AdAware - I run both!

XP Service Pack 2

So, after I burn it to a cd, I would just run Norton on it on the new computer before installing?  Thanks for the help...

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The download is directly from Mikrosoft, but it won't hurt a thing to run Norton on the disk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up Webroot Spy Sweeper Twop and  Zone Alarm PRO4.  Are these up to the task?  Thanks for all the help.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top