Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 12:41:33 PM EDT
What do you guys use for a steak marinade or rub?  I'm using A1 Chicago Steakhouse marinade right now, and it's good, but just not the flavor I'm looking for.  Steaks from Ponderosa have the flavor I like, but I just can't get close to it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the title said "with a brothel"
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay...listen up.

GEt some chili powder, some course pepper, garlic, lemon, salt and any other damn spice you like.  Mix it in a bowl.  Add these spices to a nice Italian dressing (the type of salads..pre-made).   Or you can just use it as a dry rub by patting the spices onto your meat(don't be a pervert).

Simple, fast, and cheap.  The Italian dressing adds great flavor.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you buy good meat, you don't need a marinade.  Salt and pepper works well though!YMMV
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry rubs are the shit.

Coat your steak in a LITTLE olive oil.   Rub dry mustard, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, chili powder, a little cumin, and cook till pink inside.

Another way is to marinade your steak in garlic and Whisky.   Crown Royal works good, so does Jack Daniels.

The alcohol will break down the fibers in the steak and you will have one tender steak when done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
2 parts Dale's, 1 part Teriyaki sauce, 1 part Worsteshire.  Let it soak for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Brine.

Take salt.  A lot of it.  Put it in a bowl.  Pour in warm water.  Taste it.  If it doesn't curdle your tongue, it isn't salty enough.  Add more salt.

Take the steaks, pre-rub, and dip them in the brine solution.  Duration depends on the type of steak.  The leaner the steak, the longe the dip.  For ribeyes, 2 seconds is probably too long.

For a rub, I usually use crushed pepper, onion powder, and dried lemon peel.  Lay down a fairly thick coat, then add a little bit of Lea & Perrin's Worcestishire sauce, and rub into the meat.  Marinade depending on how strong you want the flavor, but steaks taste fine to me straight to the fire.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Dale's is all you need.

www.dalesseasoning.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
For a cheap fast rub, I buy the Montreal Steak Seasoning at Costco.  
I know, I know... but with a USDA PRIME Steak... the seasoning mentioned above... dry rub... let it sit for an hour... I really like it.

It's quick and oh, so good.

Try it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
PONDEROSA!?!?!?!?

You have got to be kidding me.

Don't they nuke their steaks?

Seriously... dry rubs.

Getting a piece of dry-aged beef is the best to start with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Stubb's meat marinade is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
1/4 cup "dark" soy sauce (not the thin kikkoman's stuff), couple splashes of worcestershire (sp?), splash of tobasco, crushed/chopped garlic, little onion powder, black pepper, and a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar .  Put in bid plastic bag with steak. Shake until steak is coated. Marinade as long as you want but at least 1/2 hour. Don't add salt. The soy sauce is plenty salty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Montreal Steak Seasoning and Soy Sauce. yummmmm
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the ideas.  Looks like I'll be eating steak 2 or 3 times a week just to try all the ideas out.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Stop talking like an urbanite
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I just rub on some Montreal Steak seasoning if I do anything.  Meat tastes great all by itself, no need to gussy it up too much.

That said, if I'm stuck eating crappy steak I'll throw A1 on it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to rub my meat with K-Y....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

PONDEROSA!?!?!?!?

You have got to be kidding me.

Don't they nuke their steaks?

Seriously... dry rubs.

Getting a piece of dry-aged beef is the best to start with.

I was a cook, frycook, waiter, janitor, busboy, and dishwasher at a Ponderosa. Some of their steaks were good (the sirloins), but most were so saturated with tenderizers at the Ponderosa Central Meat Processing and Chemical Weapons Factory that I can't stand them anymore.

Myself, I like the K.C. Masterpiece marinades you can get at Costco (3 bottles for roughly $6). I put a top sirloin in a ziploc bag with a couple cups of that and freeze it until needed. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't be hatin.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be hatin.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Listen to Cableman and kpel308.  Dry rubs are where its at: olive oil, coarse/cracked pepper, kosher salt, fresh garlic and onion powder.  You can also add cumin, lemon and Lea & Perins or marinate in Thousand Island dressing, soy sauce or wine if you want to experiment, but not necessary for a great steak.   Use a very hot(!) grill...   If you start with a good cut, you should get results that are equal to, if not better than, most any restaurant.   (Maybe not Ruth Chris, but very good and a hell of a lot less expensive.)  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like to rub my meat with K-Y....

Truth be told, for steak, all you need is a little olive oil, some kosher salt, and some cracked pepper.  The important thing is to allow the steak to reach room temperature prior to putting it on your HOTTER THAN HELL cast iron skillet.

This man is the one to listen too. Get a good cast iron skillet, and cure it properly. You can cook a lot of good stuff in it. Cornbread, Steaks, Bacon / Eggs.

Now to add to  Kpel's steak comments get your skillet damn hot. Rub your steak with the fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, light olive oil if you want. Let it get to room temp as mentioned.  Then put it in the skillet. It will smoke, sizzle and you will want to flip it over. DON'T FLIP!!! Let it seere for a while. That is what gives it it's "crust" and seals in the juices. Then after it has set for about 3-4 min you can flip. The actual seere time will vary on temp and meat. Then seere the other side. It's ready then if you like it rare. If you want the middle cooked more put your oven on 425 and bake untill the center is cooked.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.susieqbrand.com/index.html?main=products/index.html?main=products/XGP-524.html

Santa Maria seasoning.  I burn some steaks that get rave reviews with this simple sprinkle-on seasoning.  Better than any steak house.  I don't tell many people my secret, but AR-15 will be an exception.

I did try some Dale's this past weekend.  Nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Basic dry rub- Lawry's seasoned garlic salt,  and pepper of choice (fine ground, coarse ground or fresh ground)

With a twist- add lemon ppper

With zest- Montreal seasoning

With a kick- add cheyanne pepper or chili powder

Bold- mix all of the above

Mix and match to see what suits your preferences

Santa Maria seasoning. I burn some steaks that get rave reviews with this simple sprinkle-on seasoning. Better than any steak house. I don't tell many people my secret, but AR-15 will be an exception.

Dude, you spilled the beans! Not only did you tell them the secret ingredient, you told them where to get it. Doh.  

Just razing you bro, I've got "connections" in that town. Tri tip is being delivered this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you buy good meat, you don't need a marinade.  Salt and pepper works well though!YMMV

I agree.  Its like when you go to a steak house (or order one) and the waiter says "Can I get any steak sauce...A-1, H57, etc...."  
My usual answer is ...."Does it need it?"

Salt and Pepper should do just fine.  However, my secret is using....get ready for this.....Beef Fajita Seasoning.  The powdered form.  You can find it most any brand.  Used it once in a pinch and it works great on all beef......YMMV
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
Red pepper
Allspice
Peprika
9 year old Kentucky Bourbon
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
tagged for this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top