Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 4:22:25 PM EDT
well yall know i've been back and fourth between a sig trailside and a browning buckmark.  well found one of each.  the trailside is 4 1/2" and has the fixed sights with the black polymer grips.  it was $330.  the buckmark has the 5 1/2" barrel.  it was the camper model with a pretty green frame (from the factory).  it was $230.  both are new in box.

my feelings are that the trailside is a very sweet gun.  when i hold it is just feels right and the sights just line up perfectly.  the buckmark looks real sharp and feels pretty good (not as good as the trailside but a whole lot better then the ruger mk II).  the thing i didn't really like about the buckmark were the sights.  although adjustable, i had to close on eye to really get a good look at the front sight--the trailside was like my kimber--i could keep both eyes open and the sighst just line up.

my problem, i only need the gun for plinking and shootin varmints.  it the trailside worth the extra 100 bucks?  also in this case are the adjustable sights much more of an advantage over the fixed? (i got fixed on my kimber and due to the trajectory of the .45 i sort of wish i had the adjustable).  

come on any advice words of wisdom?  thnaks, sloth  
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Ruger 22/45 or a mark II heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the Buckmark. imho [:D]
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has a buckmark and from what i can remember it shot great but was a pain to break down and clean.  I've got a S&W .22, I'm not sure which one at the time.  Anyway, I shot it this weekend and made the comment if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a .22 wheel gun.  My shooting buddies asked why and I said beacause this thing is a pain to clean.  Anyway, to answer your question, I'm always up for spending the extra cash.  Too many times I've said to myself "self, should have just saved a little more and gotten the (fill in the blank)."
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a buckmark, and I absolutely love it.  I would definately recommend it.  It was very accurate, very comfortable, and well made.  I was very impressed, and I'm sure you will be too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#7]
i have a ruger stainless mark II government competition with a leupold gilmore 1" red dot. it will put the whole clip in the 10 ring at 25yds.
pat
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Doorgunner, you must have the Buckmark mixed up with a Ruger. The Buckmark has to be the best .22 made in regards to ease of cleaning, I love mine!

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, every answer under the sun.

Have you tried the 22/45 that you were thinking about?  You said you didn't like the MkII grip, but the 22/45 is very different.  I don't remember what mine cost, but it was around $250 NIB.  You can get better sights/Tasco Optima for another $120.

For me the Ruger 22/45 is the right choice.  My semi-bull kmk II goes to my more powerfully built bro-in-law if his sorry ass ever returns to stateside.  

From the Buckmark and the SIG, it sounds like you have better feelings about the SIG, and unless you have kids to feed or other pressing financial commitments, do yourself a favor:

always get what you want the first time

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Buckmark Camper, and I will say that it is a pain in the ass to reassemble after cleaning.  To get the mainspring back on seems to need 3 hands.  Other than that, it is a great gun.  The trigger is great, and it melts right into my hand.  The standard sights could be better, but the rear sight is made to come off easily (you have to to break it down), and you can install a red-dot or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a SW 22A with 7" bull barrel. Shoots AWESOME. Pain in the ass to strip, but no hurry it's a target pistol. It's everything your looking for, maybe give it a try. I wasn't going to buy it either, but when I held it, it just felt right.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the 4.5 inch trailside with fixed sights, I had no problem getting it to hit point of aim. Shoots nice tight groups,(so did my Browning, so does my buddies Ruger). I do not think break down and assembly of the Trailside is a problem at all, basically pretty easy.
Tuco

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#14]
try the ruger 22/45 before buying anything
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not put a .22LR kit on you 1911Kimber?
I got this Ciener Platinum  [url]http://www.22lrconversions.com/platinum.htm[/url]  from
[url]www.brownells.com[/url]

I really like it. It comes with adjustable sights.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7a/MZ12677.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#16]
My firends & I have three Buckmarks. We all love them. The most accurate pistol I have ever fired.
Maybe I am an old coot, but $330 for a .22 sounds like a lot to me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
hey yall.  thanks for all the advice.  i broke down and got the trailside.  it was a little bit more then the buckmark, but i really liked the balance, fit, feel and sights on the trailside.  i also got a pretty good price on it.  should i decide that i don't like her, i think i'd be able to do rather well on a trade.  again thanks for the advice.  sloth
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One problem I have with the 22/45 though is the magazines seem to be screwing up. I think my nephew might have put more than ten rounds in them last week and the second to the last round in the mag seems to jam. Or it could be the Stinger ammo I'm using being too powerful for it, don't know.

View Quote

.22 pistols are reknowned for being finicky about ammo. Try different types. Also there does seem to be a break in period.

I've owned a Ruger and can't say one bad thing about them.

I now own a Browning and I love it. one is not better than the other IMHO but they are different. I prefer the grips and look of my Buckmark.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1695348&a=13018338&p=49772285[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top