Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 7:53:09 AM EDT

......After boarding the chartered party boat, Coast Guard officials found an AK-47 assault rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and a .30-caliber rifle stashed on the craft, authorities said....  

...Mele has permits to carry the guns in Florida, but cannot legally bring them into other states, a law enforcement source said....

1. He has a permit to carry a shotgun, a rifle, and an alleged "AK-47"? Wow, I want one of those permits, don't you?

2. He cannot legally bring them into other states? That's an interesting misinterpretation of law. AFAIK, you can take firearms anywhere so long as they are legal in the destination. Posession of a firearm within NYC is heavily regulated, so regardles of the permit his firearms were very likely not legal to posess in NYC, but the writer's wording is innacurate.

I've seen the boat on the water before.

www.nydailynews.com/front/story/227250p-195121c.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]

...Mele has permits to carry the guns in Florida, but cannot legally bring them into other states, a law enforcement source said....

Gee, I thought the 1986 FOPA was supposed to protect us from harassment when we travel with our firearms to or through another state. I guess all it did was force us to relinquish our ability to buy new machine guns!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Oddly, no mention of a handgun whatsoever.

But was it really an AK-47, or a semi-auto Kalishnaclone?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Detectives were investigating to learn whether Stratus - who had an AK-47 tattooed on his stomach and a 9-mm. handgun inked on his arm - was killed because of tensions between rival party boat operators.
 -

Let the party boat wars begin!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But was it really an AK-47, or a semi-auto Kalishnaclone?

How dare you question the "authorities".
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm hoping that the error was in translation by the journalist, just as I'm hoping that the LE said something like "his Florida permit doesn't allow him to bring it into this state" which got revised by journalist / editors / layout  to 'other states'
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
last i checked ya didnt need a permit to have a weapon on your boat,, hell,, my buddy used to wear his glock on his hip everytime we went out,,i even used to keep a lil 22lr revolver in my dry...hmmmm
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
last i checked ya didnt need a permit to have a weapon on your boat,, hell,, my buddy used to wear his glock on his hip everytime we went out,,i even used to keep a lil 22lr revolver in my dry...hmmmm

That's Florida. This happened within the jurisdictional boundaries of New York City, where you have to have a permit to keep an unloaded firearm in your home, and a different permit endorsement to shoot a gun at a range. If you're lucky, you get both.

If he was in Pennsylvania waters, or Virginia, or Florida, or etc. etc. the firearms would presumably not have been any issue at all, although going in the heavily restricted waters around the Statue of Liberty at 2am without your navigation lights would get you boarded anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
this is a bit worrisome for me, as i may be making a visit to long island next spring, and will be carrying both the bushy and the 229 on board my boat.  as i will be arriving from charlotte amelie in st thomas, i will have to go through a port of arrival, which means NYC.  does anyone know a link to the regs for maritime carry/declaration in NY?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The arrival can instead be in Philadelphia station, or Newport RI.

NJ has difficult purchase procedures, but if you own a gun legally and are passing through they're "fine" as long as you comply with the normal reuirements (unloaded, locked in separate container, and unloaded means allmags, clips, and speedloaders must be empty).

NYC isn't going to give you a permit, no how, no way. Driving through Manhattan with a firearm locked in the trunk of a car would seemingly be legal, but apparently isn't.

I'd go the long way around Long Island to avoid going through NYC waters with firearms. Make your arrival at Newport, RI instead if you're going offshore the entire way. Or clear in in a gun-friendly state further south along the coast, and adjust your itinerary as desired.

The USCG may carry guns and have many pro-gun people, but they will turn you over to local LE if they find you to be in violation of local ordinances, and NYC has ordinances.

I hate not being able allowed to carry on my boat around here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Apparently these assholes are unaware of the rampant piracy in the Carribbean (sp?) & Indonesia area of the Pacific? Many boating magazines strongly urge boat owners to arm themselves and/or avoid some areas altogether.

Not to mention if 2-3 guns are an "arsenal", gawd help them if they look in some folk's gun safes!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The arrival can instead be in Philadelphia station, or Newport RI.

NJ has difficult purchase procedures, but if you own a gun legally and are passing through they're "fine" as long as you comply with the normal reuirements (unloaded, locked in separate container, and unloaded means allmags, clips, and speedloaders must be empty).

NYC isn't going to give you a permit, no how, no way. Driving through Manhattan with a firearm locked in the trunk of a car would seemingly be legal, but apparently isn't.

I'd go the long way around Long Island to avoid going through NYC waters with firearms. Make your arrival at Newport, RI instead if you're going offshore the entire way. Or clear in in a gun-friendly state further south along the coast, and adjust your itinerary as desired.

The USCG may carry guns and have many pro-gun people, but they will turn you over to local LE if they find you to be in violation of local ordinances, and NYC has ordinances.

I hate not being able allowed to carry on my boat around here.

thank you for the info.  i was under the impression that i could clear in, declare, and Q the weapons in NYC, then redraw upon clearing out with the port authority.  though i hate to admit this, the personal importance of this stop is such that i'd be willing to submit to impound as long as i could reclaim and clear out in a reasonable amount of time.  i'm pleased to learn this now rather than then.  

i suppose i'll have to check out which port of arrival is closer to medford, due to the fact that i'll be on a bicycle while inland.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top