Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 2:46:46 AM EDT
I was in a local gun shop Friday to pick up some targets.  Yacking with the guy behind the counter, I brought up the approaching sunset of the AWB.  Then I mentioned Kalifornia's bill to ban .50 BMG rifles and the foolishness of it (can you see some gangsta type lugging a 38 pound rifle into a 7-11?).

This guy said, "There is no need for a civilian to have a .50 BMG rifle."

I stood there with a half grin, waiting for the punch line.  I figured we had some sarcasm coming soon.

I was wrong.

He was serious.

He said, "A .50 caliber rifle is a weapon of mass destruction.  Civilians shouldn't have them."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing in a gun shop of all places.  

I brought up full-auto and he said they're a waste of money because they're so expensive to feed and you can't hit anything.

This guy's attitude was like, "If I don't want one, nobody else can justify owning one."

There's a place of business scratched off my list.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:51:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You should make sure to inform him that no civilian needs frequent his store.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have dropped everything I was going to purchase right there on the counter in front of the guy, told him he was an idiot and that I'd do my best to tell the local shooting community what kind of guy he was, and that they should spend their money elsewhere.

Fuck, sometimes we really are our own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
What an idiot. All he's doing is setting limitations on his business and way of life. Does he sell AR's or is he one of those "classic gun" shops.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if he carried .50 ammo. Oh that would be a hoot.
Any how tell him no reason for semi-auto and magazine fed guns.

Its just a waste of money, no one needs more than one shot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I was just totally blindsided by what he said.  

I'm planning on going back to clarify this matter.

BTW, they do sell overpriced ARs in there.  I ought to ask if he knows that the pistol grip facilitates spray shooting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Yet another example of what many on this forum talk about.  The hunter types couldn't give less of a damn about our equipment.

I have no personal use for a .50, but I don't see how that has any legitimate effect on what other people want or have.  I tell hunter types who put down our stuff (I have an AR-10 with a couple of uppers) that I can't see hurting innocent animals.  Gets them going.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
a .50 may be impractical, and FA might be a stinkin rip off...but thats not the point. the point is rights are being infringed!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
"Civilians have no need for a .50 BMG Rifle."

Sure we do. We need them to keep the .GOV on their toes and just a little bit afraid of us. After all we are  law abiding citizens so there is no reason we shouldn't have them. Only the people that commit crimes with them should not be allowed to have them again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Need?  Where the heck does need come into it?  I always hear anti gun people talk about need.  "You don't need an assault rifle." "You don't need a clip with more than 10 rounds."  That shit drives me nuts.  Well, as far as need goes, none of us need a Corvette.  We don't need a Dodge magnum or a Durango. We don't need a BMW Z8.  We don't need a $300.00 pair of boots or a $1000.00 scope. It's about want.  It's about the difference in people the world over.  It's about preferences in style and purpose.  Some shooters like the AK-47, some like the AR-15.  Some shooters like big bore single shot rifles.  Some like machine guns.  It's the same thing.  If we were all the same, we'd all drive the same kind and color of car, wear the same clothes and live in identical houses.  What would be the point of that.  I could care less if some one wanted a 20mm semi auto rifle. There are already laws on the books for murder, destruction of property and recklessness.

If it were me, and it's not, I think I'd find another gun shop to patronize.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have informed him of my upcoming $2000 purchase of one he just lost out on and walked....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This guy's attitude was like, "If I don't want can't afford one, nobody else can justify owning one."

that is more accurate i think.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
tell him that people dont need guns either, see what he says about that lol, if he says for hunting  tell him thats what the store is for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
sounds like a commie to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yet another example of what many on this forum talk about.  The hunter types couldn't give less of a damn about our equipment.

I have no personal use for a .50, but I don't see how that has any legitimate effect on what other people want or have.  I tell hunter types who put down our stuff (I have an AR-10 with a couple of uppers) that I can't see hurting innocent animals.  Gets them going.  

Um...some hunter types.

I am a hunter type.  Many on the board are hunter types.  I know many AR owning hunter types.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#16]
its not about what you need, its about having the freedom of having the option to buy if you want ,even if you dont need one
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:49:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um...some hunter types.

I am a hunter type.  Many on the board are hunter types.  I know many AR owning hunter types.

The "hunter types" he is referring to are the ones that own only pure hunting rifles, dont know what makes a rifle accurate, has no idea why the cartirdge he shoots is effective other than a magazine told him so and is TOTALLY CLUELESS that if they ban our "black rifles" his Remington 7400 is next! then his mag fed bolt gun, then his ........................ etc etc ...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Luckily, I don't live in a country that is based on "Need".  (not yet anyway)

Let's face it, I don't "NEED":

- an SUV, a Corvette, a Trans Am

- a private pool

- a personal computer

- privately owned books

- a single family home

- dogs

- any food beyond basics for survival

- more than 1 pair of shoes, or any shoes really

- a bicycle

- CD's, DVDs, a TV set, a stereo, radios, telephones, cell phones, furniture, a lawn mower, a snow blower, a fence, electricity

.... but I don't want to live in a Communist country
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#20]

When picking up a 10/22 I mentioned that it was too bad that I couldnt get a Butler Creek 50rd teardrop for her because I'm in NJ. And that it was a shame that when the AWB sunsets I still cant get one. I mentioned how ridiculous the AWB was and the guy said to me :

"There is no need for a civilian to own a machine gun" So I said it has nothing to do with FA only SA rifles, FA was NFA34'.

He then gave me the bullethose quote.

If he had'nt already called NICS and brought me up to the counter I wouldda walked out.

The Demo-Commies propaganda has even infiltrated the gun owners community. We must be smarter and more vigilant in our approach to help educate the public at large.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Luckily, I don't live in a country that is based on "Need".  (not yet anyway)

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Need, schmeed, if I want one, I have the right.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]
The best response to a 'shooter' who is fine with firearm bans?  

Shotguns = Multiple Projectile Weapons = Machine Guns! Machine guns are guns that fire more than one round with one pull of the trigger.  Shotguns, which are easily available at WalMart, get around machine gun laws by firing multiple projectiles in one shot with one pull of the trigger.  A semi automatic shotgun in reality is capable of putting more projectiles out faster than most submachine guns.

Watch them justify....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When picking up a 10/22 I mentioned that it was too bad that I couldnt get a Butler Creek 50rd teardrop for her because I'm in NJ. And that it was a shame that when the AWB sunsets I still cant get one. I mentioned how ridiculous the AWB was and the guy said to me :

"There is no need for a civilian to own a machine gun" So I said it has nothing to do with FA only SA rifles, FA was NFA34'.

If he had'nt already called NICS and brought me up to the counter I wouldda walked out.

The Demo-Commies propaganda has even infiltrated the gun owners community. We must be smarter and more vigilant in our approach to help educate the public at large.

NICS check or no, I would have walked and told him exactly why I was walking.  10/22s are sold all over the place and I'm sure another store could be found (of course unless you were doing a transfer).  Any store owner that gives me that nonsense will be off my list, and they better believe I will ppost the name, address, and comments on as many boards as I can.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll give a "+1" to those that said "dump what you had and walk out".

There would be NFW that I would spend a PENNY with someone with that view.

Fucking traitor is all that prick is.  Plain and simple TRAITOR.

I simply cannot put myself in the mindset of someone that makes their living selling firearms that DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE SECOND AMENDMENT.

Asshats like this just keep the "deer, duck, skeet, trap" mentality going.  They are an "enabler" of that "sporting implement" bullshit among some gun owners.

We ARE our own worst enemy at times.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
..........This guy said, "There is no need for a civilian .......

What does that make him?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Need?  Where the heck does need come into it?  I always hear anti gun people talk about need.  "You don't need an assault rifle." "You don't need a clip with more than 10 rounds."  That shit drives me nuts.  Well, as far as need goes, none of us need a Corvette.  We don't need a Dodge magnum or a Durango. We don't need a BMW Z8.  We don't need a $300.00 pair of boots or a $1000.00 scope. It's about want.  

Yeah - THIS really is the issue.  

A consumer society like the U.S. is NOT BASED ON NEED - it's based on want.

Nobody NEEDS a car that can go faster than the speed limit - except the police and emergency vehicles.  And nobody NEEDs a vehicle that can go off-road unless they are in very specific jobs (like contruction, surveying, etc).  But that's never been a reason to tell people they cannot buy them.

I think it's a big mistake to limit this kind of discussion/rebuttal to guns, because it really is a much larger issue these asshats are raising when they tell you that you shouldn't be allowed to buy things you don't need !!!

Fuck - I'd say that 95% of what I spend my money on are things I don't NEED.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was in a local gun shop Friday to pick up some targets.  Yacking with the guy behind the counter, I brought up the approaching sunset of the AWB.  Then I mentioned Kalifornia's bill to ban .50 BMG rifles and the foolishness of it (can you see some gangsta type lugging a 38 pound rifle into a 7-11?).

This guy said, "There is no need for a civilian to have a .50 BMG rifle."

Was he the owner? (If so, then post the name of the shop, if not, you might want to let him know the drivel his employees are spouting)

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NICS check or no, I would have walked and told him exactly why I was walking.  10/22s are sold all over the place and I'm sure another store could be found (of course unless you were doing a transfer).  Any store owner that gives me that nonsense will be off my list, and they better believe I will ppost the name, address, and comments on as many boards as I can.

It was a big box store and I gues I shouldda.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Ask him this:  A deer shot with a blackpowder muzzleloader is just as dead as one shot with a 30-06, so why are you selling guns for a living?  After all, civilians dont NEED the 30-06 you are trying to sell.

And yes, I agree that the Fudds are our worst enemy.  They are like cancer eating away our rights from within, even though they should know better.  That's worse than the hardcore antis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top