Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 2:02:19 AM EDT
I got the value of my truck priced at kelly fuck book and it said 13,5something, next day I go to dealership to get appraised, its in excellent condition and the guy says 11,175, so i tell the guy hey its worth more than that on kelly fucks website, guy says thats what we use, i said well i got it priced last night, so i go to a computer with him, he lets me input the info and it comes back to 11,175, I was like what the heck is wrong with this.  so I go to my house get the print out from day earlier and I input same things and its more than 2g's different.  guy tells me you should've come yesterday and laughs.  why did the price go down so much in one day?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure you used the same version of KBB they do? You know it doesn't make alot of sense for a dealer to pay consumer BB when a consumer wants it at BB or lower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I was unaware they had different versions, but when I got home again and tried it it said 11,175.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You know that 1 day worth of wear and tear can really de-value a vehicle.  That really doesn't make sense though. Have you tried changing the values you enter to get a duplicate price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
on the one I printed out when it told me 13,500 it said exactly what I had inputed, I input the same thing and it gave me lower price, i even tried adding features like 4x4 and it still doesnt give me 13,500
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Retail sale is higher, trade in value is lower.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Kelly gives you a choice between PRIVATE SALE value  and TRADE IN VALUE.

Which one did you do?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, the books are done periodicaly. You just may have done your work on the day they change values. Next day, lower price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Been through that.  There are two possibilities.  Assuming you input everything the same, and used the same category - "Trade in Value."

1.  The value may have dropped.  When updated, it just happened during the intervening time.  Hass to drop sometime, your tough luck, though I can't see $2000. all at once.

2.  This is more likely.  Got to watch those dealers.  One trick they pull is to knock down your   >>condition<<!!  Note at the end of your input you have to rate condition.  There are about five categories (didn't have time to do this this morning):  excellent  (no dealer will give this, even if the car is excellent);  GOOD, which is aboput the best you can hope for; FAIR, which they generally try to use, and one or two lower than that.  If you have rated your car GOOD, and have that value, the dealer can input all the same stuff, just checking a very small, easy to miss bullet point FAIR, and present you with a very official looking page with the screw-you value.

Simple trick.  Like I said, been through it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Changing of zip codes drops / raises prices too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure the night before you didn't goof up the year?
Maybe you entered a year newer by mistake....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
forget the dealer- they will take you to the bank EVERY time.. sell it outright if you can.  Also I would suggest getting a car with 1-2 years ona it and still warranty.  you will save a lot of money.  - me knows this from buying 2 new cars in the last year....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Which one did you do?

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The Kelly Blue Book gives many differant values from Dealer trade in to private sale.

Make sure you got the right one.

Either way, what ever deal the salesman gives you on the trade he will try to make up on the other end.

SO get a set price on the value of the car first and then go from there.  Everything is negotiable.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one did you do?

Exactly.

I did the trad in feature all the time,  it says it on the print out from that date, i might have inputed different zip code I'll have to check that when I go home but still 2000 difference for zip is alot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#15]
OK IM A DOOFUS I USED THE PRIVATE PARTY VALUE, DAMN IM STUPID, SORRY GUYS FOR WASTING PRECIOUS POST SPACE.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK IM A DOOFUS I USED THE PRIVATE PARTY VALUE, DAMN IM STUPID, SORRY GUYS FOR WASTING PRECIOUS POST SPACE.

That's OK, we all have our moments.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Also the condition will make a huge difference.  If you put excellent he put in poor, there will also be a huge difference.  I would try to sell your car on your own.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Try moving from a high value area (SF Bay Area) to a relatively low value area (Tucson AZ) and watch about 50% of your value evaporate.

It sucks, and it is why I am keeping my XR600R around.  Sigh.

Geoff
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#19]
What does NADA say that it's worth? I had to get rid of my truck, and looked up Kelly Blue Book,
and it said that my truck was worth $1300.

When I went to the webpage of the group that I donated it to (Order of the Purple Heart) they used
NADA to get the value for tax purposes, and it came out to be worth up to $2400.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Most car dealers Ive talked say they use NADA ...

NADA

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Retail sale is higher, trade in value is lower.

yup
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have to trade it in, shop different dealers.  When I bought my last truck, I saved an additional $1000 and got another $3000 for my trade in compared to a dealer I was trying to buy from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top