Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 9:34:23 PM EDT
Setting aside the usual debate of the AR vs the Mini (as if the Mini can hold a candle to the AR), I'm wondering.....

I'm looking for a trunk gun. With the ban dying in two weeks, what are the chances that they will be making the "A-Team" collapsible-stock version available to us peasants again, along with factory 30-round mags?

Also, what, if any, modifications can be made to the Mini to address its reliability/accuracy issues without it costing so much that I may as well get myself an AR?

Thanks...

P.S. - I just do NOT want to keep an AR in the trunk, yet I'd like a semi-auto over the other alternative, a lever-action. I'm considering the Mini because of the folding-stock option.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know why, but I seriously doubt Ruger will make factory folders again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a folder on a SAR3.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck ruger
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Put a folder on a SAR3.

I've got a thread going in the AK forum asking how to do just that on my MAK-90.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also, what, if any, modifications can be made to the Mini to address its reliability/accuracy issues without it costing so much that I may as well get myself an AR?

NONE!, Absolutely nothing will help a Mini other than a New Heavier Barrel. It's a damn sight cheaper too just get an AR in the first place.

The First mini that I ever owned (an early version, with wood upper handguard) Was an excellent shooter. I got rid of it when I was in a money jam when I was a kid. I tried to replace it a couple of times, but Subsequent MINI'S of mine were JUNK.  I gave up after the 3rd try.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Get an SKS for $150 and you will have spare money for ammo and a better rifle

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny thing is, I sold my Mini Ranch Rifle not three weeks ago because, if I have one at all, I want a stainless one (it was blue), a Mini-14 (it was a ranch). Plus, I got a new Marlin 1865 in trade!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine bought a Mini 14 about 5 years ago, and it's the biggest POS I've ever shot. The mags NEVER work right (always fall out or jam), the CHEAP plastic cover over the front falls off after shooting 5 rounds, the sights are garbage and fall off, and the list goes on and on and on.

I don't think that Ruger will make the "A-team" Mini's again, but a company like butler creek may begin making their polymer / steel folders for it again.

To me, the questions you pose are moot, because the Mini is such a hunk of shit. If you're not going to put an AR in the trunk, how about a folding AK? It's 1/2 the price of a mini and can sure take the abuse...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get an SKS for $150 and you will have spare money for ammo and a better rifle

SGatr15

Too long. Trying to keep this in the back of an SUV, out od sight. Also, I prefer mags to strippers for "business" weapons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Just pick up a neutered "postban" AR15 for $400.  There really is no comparison.  The only worthwhile Mini would be a FA one, and only then if you could afford the mods to make it accurate and reliable.

The Mini14 sucks, Even the A team couldent hit anyone with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want a Mini-14, get the Butler Creek folder for it.  Works fine and even free floats the barrel a little.  I did that on one that I had, and it did help the accuracy a little.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
get a Kel-Tec SU-16
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]
a common thing to do is cut the barrel down a couple inches, maybe down t o14 or 15" then thread and weld on a brake. basicly make it an M4, the shorter barrel makes it stiffer and more accurate.

i met a guy recently that bedded the action, and then put pins in the stock to slighty raise the action up and this would help free float the barrel. he also use a longer better barrel, and changed the sights out.
you could make put a AK front sight system to replace the mini14 front sight.

cut the barrel down, crown it, an AK sight would be cheapest, then bed the action -- not too expensive way to go, worht a shot.  

for a trunk gun your prolly not gonna be making more than 100 yard shots on a man size target, and the stock mini14 should be able to do this adequately.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
for a trunk gun your prolly not gonna be making more than 100 yard shots on a man size target, and the stock mini14 should be able to do this adequately.

Dunno about that. I will hopefully be living out west, and while .223 is hardly a sniper round, 100+ yard shots are not outside the realm of possibility.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought of a used post-ban AR. DUH!

I don't think the Mini is going to work. Not a single positive response, and all the mods I've seen cost more than the damned rifle!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok heres a semi positive response.

I have a Mini 14 with a GB and Factory foldering stock. Never had a problem with accuracy or reliablity. Now that being said I typically shoot a 50 yards or closer and I have two Factory 30rd mags as well as three Factory 20 rd mags.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#17]

I'll venture to say that a large percentage of nay sayers haven't ever fired a Mini-14.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Funny thing is, I sold my Mini Ranch Rifle not three weeks ago because, if I have one at all, I want a stainless one (it was blue), a Mini-14 (it was a ranch). Plus, I got a new Marlin 1865 in trade!

Where are you located? my cousin has a stainless mini 14 for sale  ....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OK a single postive response.

I have a pre-ban Mini-14 that in my 12 or more years of shooting it hasn't had the magazine fall out, sights fall off but has had an occassional jam - probably at half the rate my other rifles have done.

The thing is a 2/3 scale M1 Garand and how many people do you hear bitching about the Garand? The weapon is dead nutz simple and is less ammo sensitive then the AR with it's ever dirty gas system.

I swapped out the sights long ago for a set of ones that approximate the HK - with the ring and post up from and the peep aft.

I have to agree. I have 2 Mini's that I have owned since 1988 and except for the rare jam I've never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

I guess you dont like good quality guns
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Mini 14 that's ben a reliable little plinker for the last ten years. I have 3 PMI 30 rounders, and have never had a problem with them. However, it's not as accurate as either of my ARs. Given that you can pick up an AR fairly cheaply and that reliable mags are so common for ARs, that does sound like the route to go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
another positive response-

I have a new Mini ranch, while its certainly not a match rifle it is completly reliable....Never had a jam or any problem whatsoever out of it, even with cheapo USA mags

It would make a great truck gun....IMO .... And i have heard that a new choate stock and cutting down the barrel to 16in will increase accuracy quite a bit on the cheap

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

It's not about the quality it's about them SELLING OUT on the gun owners of America!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
another positive response-

I have a brand new Mini ranch, while its certainly not a match rifle it is completly reliable....Never had a jam or any problem whatsoever out of it, even with cheapo USA mags

I loved my Mini for looks and plinking but as a battle carbine I'd bet my life on, I'd say NO. I seem to remember reading something about the barrels bending if you fired a whole bunch of rounds through it. I can't vouch for it personally but somewhere years ago, (pre-internet) in a magazine or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Go here, they do alot of costom work on mini's www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.html  I have an Mini-30 and it hits the target every time and has not jamed once.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:]

I loved my Mini for looks and plinking but as a battle carbine I'd bet my life on, I'd say NO. I seem to remember reading something about the barrels bending if you fired a whole bunch of rounds through it. I can't vouch for it personally but somewhere years ago, (pre-internet) in a magazine or something like that.

I think your thinking about barrel whip....the pencil barrel on the mini supposedly bends a little every time you shoot because of the way it is attached to the stock....that is what makes it inaccurate....shortening the barrel is supposed to make it more stiff....

I've fired quite a few rounds through mine....enough so that i couldn't hold the stock under the barrel.... And it didn't hurt the accuracy....stayed around 5-6 moa
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a factory Ruger folder in stainless and have a factory Ruger folder that I've never had a problem with and never had a problem with the stainless Mini either.  I used the cheap USA mags and only had one out of 17 that wouldn't work in either Mini.  I use Thermold Mini mags also and have never had a  problem with them in either Mini.  True, Ruger himself didn't have the best track record for doing things that we would want Ruger to do but as a company they did/do make a fine product.  With that in mind I can't wait for the transfer to go thru on my Ruger AC556F as it was less than 1/2 of what a M16 is going for and will be sufficient for my shooting purposes (if I had the money I would like to get a M16 as well someday).  Butler Creek and Choate both made folding stocks for the Mini and it is individual preference on which one is better than the other.  Good luck on what ever you choose to do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Between my mini-14 and my SKS the SKS wins hands down.  Its more accurate, less expensive to buy, and with the money I saved I bought a bunch of cheap 7.62x39mm.  

I bought my mini becasue I thought it was a lower end .223 compared to an AR.  I was right, it was lower end, just a bit lower than I thought it would be.  I can hit stuff with it, but not really past 100 yards.  I scoped it but all that did was put glass on an inaccurate rifle.  My SKS (cost me $125.00) has always been reliable and has better accuracy with open sights.  

I keep the mini because it was my first semi-auto rifle.  It really doesn't get any range time anymore since I bought an AR and it collects a bit of dust.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]
"I'll venture to say that a large percentage of nay sayers haven't ever fired a Mini-14."

I agree.

You can't "free float" a Mini-14, the design precludes this.  You CAN bed the action.  However, why go to the trouble?  

First, the wood stock is crap, fits too loose.  But rather than bed it, the best thing to do is junk the stock.  Replace it with any of several Choate stocks:

Zytel convention stock
Zytel Pistol Grip Stock (non folding)
Zytel Folding Stock

or

Butler Creek folding stock.

Using any of these tight fitting synthetic stocks will cut group sizes in half.  And these stocks are far stronger than the Ruger factory folding stocks.

Next, reliability... the Mini either has cycling problesm or it doesn't, and this seems to be entirely mag related.  

From more than 20 yrs of shooting Mini-14's, MY personal experience has shown Ruger mags and PMI mags (Precision Magazine Inc) to be problem free.  PMI mags ARE the same as Federal Ordnance mags.

Ruger 20's and 30's, almost unobtainable.  Ruger's policy was always that their 30 rnd mags be sold only to LEO's.  Later, they extended this to their 20's as well.

I have owned Rugers AND PMI's and can honestly say, the Rugers are no better than the PMI's.  Don't waste your time looking for Rugers when the PMI's are so much more easily found.

A Ranch Rifle, with scope, and synthetic stock and mags (as above) in stainless makes for a perfectly good "trunk gun".

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I think somebody is selling a NIB Stainless Ruger Mini-14  LEO GB with Ruger Factory LEO  Mags in the EE!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

It's not about the quality it's about them SELLING OUT on the gun owners of America!!!

How about some DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE of what you say, never mind Neal Knox and his cronies.

Do you own a Glock?

As for the Mini, while not as accurate and exotic as an AR, it serves it's purpose just fine, that being a truck or saddle gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

+1

Psssst--the old man is dead.  You guys sound like those looking for reparations for slavery.  Let it go.  

And I say again fuck ruger some people dont forget,  they dont even deserve to have the big R in front of their name
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck ruger

+1

Psssst--the old man is dead.  You guys sound like those looking for reparations for slavery.  Let it go.  

And I say again fuck ruger some people dont forget,  they dont even deserve to have the big R in front of their name

Again I ask, why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Positve note here,

I have had a Mini-14 for over 20 years now and it is a great shooter.
I have never had a single problem with it at all. It will eat any ammo I feed it, and nothing ever falls out or off of it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I had a 182 series Mini. Bought it new, for the 6 years I had it it never jammed and nothing fell off it. I had 20 Ruger mags, still have one. The accuracy wasn't that great that's what turned me off so I got rid of it. But heck I paid $211 for it in 1980. Today a new Mini retails from 650-770 why bother. You can get an AR!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#41]
SU-16 would be a good trunk gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't mind an AC556 though!!!

Or this one:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Using any of these tight fitting synthetic stocks will cut group sizes in half.  And these stocks are far stronger than the Ruger factory folding stocks.

What about Ruger's factory synthetic stocks? Are those any better than the wood ones?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#45]
marlin 30-30

or an AK
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
marlin 30-30

or an AK

Yep. That's what I'm concluding.

Either that, or an AR pistol with a longer barrel and some sort of sling?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a mini-30, and scoped, with norinco ammo (the old steel-core stuff), it would group 1.25 MOA or so.

I had a synthetic stock on it, think it was butler creek, don't remember......

they work great as handy, ever-present ranch/farm/truck guns, with the factory 5-round magazines.

I had 2 30-round USA or triple-K mags.....theyd fall out when you shot the gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a blued ranch rifle, 3 no name 20rndrs and 2 40rndrs.  I got it for free.  I picked up a stainless factory folder from someone who didn't know what he had.  IT will shoot any of the mags and any ammo I happen to have wolf, milsurp, winchester, ss109, m193 etc.  It will put lead into 5*12 targets at 100 yards quickly.   I can put a mag in to a car door as fast as I could pull the trigger.  It has never jammed (about 500 rnds, wish I could say the same for my AR).  The learning curve is alot lower than with an AR.  I can store it in and shoot it from a lot of places that I can't with an AR because of the folding stock.  My dad has a stainless GB, same story.  My partner has a brand new stainless standard mini with a factory synthetic stock, same story.

If I had to reach in my safe tonight I would grab the mini.  After I get my new upper for my AR it will be the wife's rifle/backup/loaner until the sad day that I get my dad's GB.

I can't have a "trunk gun" so this is just my two cents.

ETA: woo hoo 100 posts! (what a stinking noob)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top