Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 6:32:54 PM EDT
So I had lunch with the old judge in town and we got to talking about the ban and the whole RKBA thing.

He says it is an test to see if they can effectively change the US Constitution by law; ie banning guns; without going through the Ammendment procedures and having to have a 2/3 Majority Constitution Ammenment vote in the Congress.

If they can take guns away by banning them then they have effectively changed the US Constitution without going through the Ammendment process which the gun grabbers know would never happen.

I really had never looked at the issue like that, but when you do it really scares the hell out of me when I think of the implications.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Try asking a retired judge from MA or downstate NY the same thing, and see what you get for a response.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
and the sad thing is do we really want to take this case to the supreme court?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really, O'Conner seems to not give two shits about the language of the constitution, and the lefties are sure to look for a way to say it really doesn't mean what it says.  If we could get a couple good appointments then we might be in better shape.  I hate our current confirmation process... make sure they have no strong opinion on anything.  Like Scalia said, how do you have a "moderate" interpretation of the COTUS?

If we take one to the SC and lose expect to see a repeat of England and Austrailia here.  They'll chew away a model or type at a time until nothing is left.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not really, O'Conner seems to not give two shits about the language of the constitution, and the lefties are sure to look for a way to say it really doesn't mean what it says.  If we could get a couple good appointments then we might be in better shape.  I hate our current confirmation process... make sure they have no strong opinion on anything.  Like Scalia said, how do you have a "moderate" interpretation of the COTUS?

If we take one to the SC and lose expect to see a repeat of England and Austrailia here.  They'll chew away a model or type at a time until nothing is left.

Its a big gamble that would suck if the outcome didnt come out the right way
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If the Ban was a test to see if they can change the Constition without a 2/3 majority, THEN IT WORKED - the Ban was passed, and upheld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top