Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 4:22:05 PM EDT
If so ... what, and why?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
AC&E megadose anti-oxidant (multis don't give you enough,
and glucosomine-chondrointin (SP?) cuase I'm getting old and I have a heavier build and I jog, and that is NOT a good combo for knees and ankles.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Normally (maintainence) I'm only taking a multivitamin, glucosamine sulfate, glutamine (amino acid) and creatine.

Currently, I'm trying to dump some bodyfat (trying to get to 8% or so), so I'm taking CLA (a nonessential fatty acid), 7-Keto (a kind of prohormone), and L-Carnitine (another amino acid) for a month to see if they have any effect at all.  If not, eh, I'm out $40.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Beer.  Gives me extra vitamin P ya know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
b complex, lil energy and helps you have better blood flow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
AC&E megadose anti-oxidant (multis don't give you enough,

Funny about that, just read about a study that said that antioxidants from suppliments are less effective than if you get them from food...

Here's the article:

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5489179/

That being said, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and things like ground flax seed and tuna so I get plenty of omega-3 as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Sea Silver

Basically snake oil my boss helps sell on the side. It's apparently some sort of seaweed extract suspended in tasty fruit juice from concentrate.  

Apparently, the scam is this:  The FDA doesn't regulate "supplements".  Which is to say, as long as you dont claim your product has any specific benefits, and it doesn't hurt anyone, they can't really mess with you

Reading their brochures and the bottle, there's no nutritional info or any explanation why you'd want to drink a beverage containing a seaweed extract, just that it's a good-tasting supplement for your health.  Oh, and a bargain at just $40 per bottle.

So who would buy this stuff?  A lot of people, apparently.  They have a Amway-style pyramid marketing scheme and do infomercials.  My boss moves pallets of this crap every month, and said before they had some trouble with the FDA last winter, the Sea Silver company was clearing $16m a month.

However, they got in trouble when independent marketers started claiming Sea Silver cured gonnarhea, cancer, etc. etc.  The FDA warned the company to stop its distributors from making these claims, and Sea Silver told them to get lost.  Down came the feds' boom on Sea Silver.  They've only been back in business for the last month.  Fucking snake oil salesmen as far as I'm concerned.

But it's tasty, and my boss gave me a free bottle to try.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sea Silver

Basically snake oil my boss helps sell on the side. It's apparently some sort of seaweed extract suspended in tasty fruit juice from concentrate.  

Apparently, the scam is this:  The FDA doesn't regulate "supplements".  Which is to say, as long as you dont claim your product has any specific benefits, and it doesn't hurt anyone, they can't really mess with you

Reading their brochures and the bottle, there's no nutritional info or any explanation why you'd want to drink a beverage containing a seaweed extract, just that it's a good-tasting supplement for your health.  Oh, and a bargain at just $40 per bottle.

So who would buy this stuff?  A lot of people, apparently.  They have a Amway-style pyramid marketing scheme and do infomercials.  My boss moves pallets of this crap every month, and said before they had some trouble with the FDA last winter, the Sea Silver company was clearing $16m a month.

However, they got in trouble when independent marketers started claiming Sea Silver cured gonnarhea, cancer, etc. etc.  The FDA warned the company to stop its distributors from making these claims, and Sea Silver told them to get lost.  Down came the feds' boom on Sea Silver.  They've only been back in business for the last month.  Fucking snake oil salesmen as far as I'm concerned.

But it's tasty, and my boss gave me a free bottle to try.

the website doesn't say what it's supposed to do

I'm a skeptical of even multi-vitamins ... all this other stuff people take ... wow.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
seaweed actually is loaded with minerals, potent stuff when added to organic fertilizer, how beneficial, to humans, I don't know. Panax Ginseng in the little bottles will make you harder than a hatchet handle, but you can't use it all  the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Melatonin, for sleep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Use to take all sorts of stuff until it got expensive and i lost the will to keep swallowing all those pills. Now i take a multi vit.-min. and protien powder.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Beer.  Gives me extra vitamin P ya know.

+1

multivitamins and such.......................

you fuckers want to live forever?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
yea dosent everybody?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I take an iron supplement because I've always had iron poor blood, and glucosamine condroitin.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
seaweed actually is loaded with minerals, potent stuff when added to organic fertilizer, how beneficial, to humans, I don't know.

Seaweed's really good for your hair and has minerals, like you said.  I looked for any claim in their literature that said so. But if Sea Silver said that was a benefit of using their product, it would violate the supplement loophole they have.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Fish oil for my heart.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Melatonin, for sleep.

Same here, especially when I was working nights.  Now I only take it when I know I can't get a full night's sleep.  It's also a very powerful antioxidant.  Outside of that and my iron-free multi-vitamin, I take another dose of vitamin E and a caclium supplement because I don't eat enough dairy or dark greens.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That being said, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and things like ground flax seed and tuna so I get plenty of omega-3 as well.

With a high intake of tuna and other fish, are you worried about mercury?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
We used to feed alot of seaweed to our horses.  It was really good for them.

That being said.  I take Juice Plus everyday.  it gives you your RDA of fruit and veggies in pill form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top