Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 4:03:42 PM EDT
Any Willy and Joe fans out there? This is one of my favorites!

"I need a couple guys what don't owe me money for
a little routine patrol."

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's another one!

" Able Fox Five to Able fox. I got a target but ya gotta be patient."

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
In the Correspondents Corridor in the Pentagon, a large section of wall is dedicated to Willie & Joe and Bill Mauldin.

Here are more:  ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]

"Nonsense. S-2 reported that machine gun silenced hours ago. Stop wiggling your fingers at me."

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Love 'em. Mauldin's view and depiction of the war was super. Shame there aren't the likes of him now. We get Trudeau or how ever you spell it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck yeah!  I love Willy and Joe cartoons.  I have several favorites, but one is the one where the pilot of the Piper Cub is aiming his .45 out the window and says "What say we go down and strafe 'em?"  

I have two books, Up Front and Bill Mauldin's Army.  The Army book has a bunch of cartoons divided between training/garrison and ETO.  I'm a 13A, so I'm kind of parial to the FA oriented cartoons as well.  Course, I was 11B before I pinned on butter bars.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Heck yeah!  I love Willy and Joe cartoons.  I have several favorites, but one is the one where the pilot of the Piper Cub is aiming his .45 out the window and says "What say we go down and strafe 'em?"  

I have two books, Up Front and Bill Mauldin's Army.  The Army book has a bunch of cartoons divided between training/garrison and ETO.  I'm a 13A, so I'm kind of parial to the FA oriented cartoons as well.  Course, I was 11B before I pinned on butter bars.

I was also Field Artillery. How do you like Fort Sill?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Man that brings back some memories.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't care for Aiming Circle Hill too much, but other than that, it wasn't too bad.  Except manual gunnery.  I hate manual gunnery.  I'm from OK, so I rather enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was also Field Artillery. How do you like Fort Sill?

Can't forget the run from post out to Geronimo's grave and back!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
"Up front" is a great war book, not only for the cartoons, but Mauldin's text is terrific.  I have an original edition of the book and guard it with my life.  
My favorite is the Cavalry Sgt who is shooting his jeep because it has a broken axle.  Simple, yet hilarious.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Classic stuff.  The best humor is rooted in truth.

I remember one where there was a German POW and one of the guys wanted to know if he was the one who invented the 88- wanted a piece of him if he was.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks for the memory refresher, panzersergeant.

Your welcome, 82ndAbn!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Can't forget the run from post out to Geronimo's grave and back!!

Ain't that the truth!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top