Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 10:18:21 AM EDT
The sky turns BLACK in downtown Austin. Millions of them. Never seen anything like it. Quite impressive.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's probably just Ann Richards cleaning out her belfry...

There's a huge bat cave on private property near Mason, TX that gets mentioned regularly by the local TV weathermen. Their swarms are big enough to be clearly seen on weather radar here in San Antonio (approx. 100 miles away).
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
huh, i thought that was just in Detroit,...........

oh,................ BATS.

no.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw them on the news once. Millions of them! The bat lovers were defending the beast against claims of some folks that bats carried rabies. The bat lovers said that less than 1% of bats carry rabies. With an estimated 5 million bats in Austin thats a lot of rabid bats!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Must be fun with a BB gun
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is worthless without pics!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This thread is worthless without pics!

This doesnt do it justice.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw them on the news once. Millions of them! The bat lovers were defending the beast against claims of some folks that bats carried rabies. The bat lovers said that less than 1% of bats carry rabies. With an estimated 5 million bats in Austin thats a lot of rabid bats!

Bats are good, they eat something like 10 times their body weight in insects in a single evening. Like all wild animals some of them are infected with rabies. Don't like mosquitos and other bugs, the bats are your friends.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The sky turns BLACK in downtown Austin. Millions of them. Never seen anything like it. Quite impressive.

Always wanted to go there. Heard about it thru BCI (Bat Conservation Int'L)They live under the Congress Ave. Bridge if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have stood under the bridge at dusk when they come out, like a moron.  Three times a moron.
DanM
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have stood under the bridge at dusk when they come out, like a moron.  Three times a moron.
DanM

Can you say, "Bat guano"?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bats are good, they eat something like 10 times their body weight in insects in a single evening.

So, by the time they're done eating for the evening, they either:

1. Weigh 10 times what they did before they started, or
2. Have damned fast digestive systems!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bats are good, they eat something like 10 times their body weight in insects in a single evening.

So, by the time they're done eating for the evening, they either:

1. Weigh 10 times what they did before they started, or
2. Have damned fast digestive systems!

Judging from the massive amount of Bat crap that rains down on the watchers,  I'd say the latter. BTW: the SECOND largest bat colony around here  is in the Police dept parking garage.  Cover your car or they'll do it for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always wanted to go there. Heard about it thru BCI (Bat Conservation Int'L)They live under the Congress Ave. Bridge if I remember correctly.

I'm a BCI guy myself, and glad to meet you!  Here in the Seattle area we don't get a lot of bats like down south, and I'm looking forward to seeing the big flights down there sometime.

Any critter that eats flying insects is a friend of mine!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure have.  It's damn impressive.  I just wish we had some bats around our part of the city, to eat our mosquito population...

1776, you located in Austin?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not only does he eat his weight in insects, but he can whack off without having opposable thumbs!  What a guy!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Isn't bat guano supossed to be some hideously nasty stuff?  Very toxic, or germ-infested or something?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Isn't bat guano supossed to be some hideously nasty stuff?  Very toxic, or germ-infested or something?

I heard it was good for growning some plants.

We used to have a few here in a tree, I killed one once.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only does he eat his weight in insects, but he can whack off without having opposable thumbs!  What a guy!

Holy Bat Unit  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I think there are suppoesed to be 40 million bats in the Congress Avenue bridge.

The colony under the McNeil bridge over IH 35 is more impressive, and is supposedly now larger than the one on Congress. Since those bats live in Williamson County, they are more reliable, punctual and Republican (probably more sober too since they aren't eating mosquitos filled with THC-laced blood like the ones in Austin). They are flying at about 1945 hours every night, these days. Takes about a half hour for them all to leave, and they generally start at the north side of the bridge and then work their way south.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep, that's one of the few cool things about living in this liberal infested, traffic-nightmare-of-a-city....That, and the fact that it's in Texas so we get to do lots of "cool stuff" with guns.

Az Nataz said, the I-35 bridge over the railroad tracks near Round Rock also has a HUGE bat population living under it...That's another amazing sight to see at dusk - more impressive than that of Congress Avenue .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top