Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 9:52:34 AM EDT
My DELL laptop always freezes up when I try to load the windows updates or the Dell updates.  There are 10 folders just sitting there on my computer, screwing up my organizing skillz.  Is there any way to delete them manually?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I see technical support in your future.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
boot safe mode and whack them
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You can, just be sure they are really not needed.  If your disk is formatted using NTFS and you're running WinXP or Win2000, use the install disk and boot from it.  Enter the repair console, enter the admin password, and then you can use DOS commands to delete these folders.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were you I'd FDISK it and start again with a nice clean fresh install of windows.

but as you
a) asked the question
b) Bought a Dell

Thats not the answer you were looking for.

If I were you I'd find a mate who works in IT and trade beer tokens for him fixing it, you probably have something fairly complex wrong with it.

I think I should really Add.

If you follow the above advice and do work out how to delete the DLL's, don't be entirely surprised if your PC is totally fux0rd afterwards, they really might be important, always ask a professional kiddies

Cheers
/PHil
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Rename, reboot, delete.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I just had to re-format due to a keylogger virus that some prick in Russia put in the .dll. I had some of the best tring to help me, and that was the only thing that worked for me.

If you want to get rid of it completly, as it looks like you do, try shooting Brasspile an IM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#7]
You have to unregister the dll before you can delete it.  Make sure that you don't need it first.

open cmd.exe

----if it's in the system dir----

cd "%WinDir%"\system

regsvr32 /u bad.dll

then you should be able to delete it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top