Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 7:49:55 AM EDT
MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, Wash. (AP) -- A firefighter suspected of setting a blaze that threatened his home while his wife and children were inside has been arrested for attempted arson.

48-year-old Philip Lyons appeared in Everett District Court yesterday, where a judge set bail at ten-thousand dollars.

Police arrested him for investigation of first-degree attempted arson on Thursday.

Court documents say he set fire to a cardboard box under a window outside his Mountlake Terrace home on August tenth, then put the small fire out with a garden hose after his wife discovered the burning box.

The fire did not damage the house.

Police found the charred remains of a napkin stuffed into the exposed framing of the home, along with a small fire starter, a device used to ignite fireplaces

His arrest came after police learned a grocery store card in his name showed he had purchased several fire starters.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Time to run to Kroger for some tinfoil.....er......wait.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I buy my tinfoil with CASH.

If I had a supermarket charge card (some around here do), I would expect to see a detailed account of what I purchased each month along with the amounts deducted from my checking account.

So, what's the problem with someone else looking at that information as part of a criminal investigation? It looks to me like the alleged perp is an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I buy my tinfoil with CASH.

If I had a supermarket charge card (some around here do), I would expect to see a detailed account of what I purchased each month along with the amounts deducted from my checking account.

So, what's the problem with someone else looking at that information as part of a criminal investigation? It looks to me like the alleged perp is an idiot.

I don't think he's talking about a credit card.  Kroger, Ingles, and others issue you a "discount card" that you have to scan to get the sales prices.  They also use the info to send you junk mail.  Luckily, we have a Kroger card that has no name attached.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't they catch meth makers with those discount cards?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...  Luckily, we have a Kroger card that has no name attached.

I have one, just get to the register, say you 'lost' your card, and if they wouldn't mind giving you a replacement to use today.. they'll give you one and have you 'bring the filled out card in later..'

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#7]
quote]Originally posted by cat_acysm

I don't think he's talking about a credit card. Kroger, Ingles, and others issue you a "discount card" that you have to scan to get the sales prices. They also use the info to send you junk mail. Luckily, we have a Kroger card that has no name attached.

Oh. So it isn't HIS information. It is THEIR information about him.

Is that different?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Those "store discount cards" is what did him in.  Around here, a local business has one, then the Safeway and then so does Albersons.

The investigators must have went and requested (or w/ a warrent) his/their purchases on that said card....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Holy shit - supermarket cards might just be a tyranny sneaking up on you.  

Whatever you do, don't tell that fdmftr1 guy - his head might explode
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
That would be bad?

The exploding part...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hehehehe
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard a story on here a while back about some grocery store chain that was VOLUNTARILY  providing all their customer purchase data to the feds to "help them fight terrorism."  I asked later and no one responded with a link to the story.

I guess they setup search criteria for combinations of zip-lock bags and houshold cleaner materials in an attempt to snag some druggies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#13]
All your coupons are belong to us.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm gonna keep quiet....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#15]
A no-name card card probably wouldn't make a difference in this situation. I'm sure it's still tied to the card and he probably still had it on his person. All they'd need is a warrant to get it from him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Even this will send the psycopolitions  into cataclysmic fits, here is an informative website.

CASPIAN Consumers against supermarket privacy invasion
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Didn't they catch meth makers with those discount cards?

Yes and almost all stores now have policies to report people buying quantities of the components that are used in meth production.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]
My supermarket cards may or may not have my name attached to them
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
i have one with some fake info
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A no-name card card probably wouldn't make a difference in this situation. I'm sure it's still tied to the card and he probably still had it on his person. All they'd need is a warrant to get it from him.

A few of you missed the winner..........

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw a discussion of these cards nack when they first came out.  They had a guy who was a manager of a small chain store that was using these cards and the manager was talking about how 'cool' the cards were.  He said he could tell when Joe got a new pet because he started buying pet food.  He could tell when the Smith's were having a picnic because they bought a bunch of paper plates and hot dog buns.  He said he could figure out the monthly cycle of all the women in town based on when they bought their "hygiene products".
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A no name card that used a made up phone number would have though.

If you don't have the card with you then you can give them the phone number from the card.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#25]
The simple fact is that these cards are being used exactly the way people were concerned about years ago.
People can laugh and ridicule, but here it is in black and white.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#26]
This sounds just like the kind of thing that the ACLU will come out and defend.....i can see it now....this guys ACLU lawyer will have the case thrown out saying that the evidence violated some right to privacy...just sounds like a stupid criminal to me.....if you are using a card with a barcode that gets scanned, for an account that you had to sign up for in the first place....how stupid is he to buy equipment to commit a crime with using it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh crap.

Now Big Brother knows that I bought a can of tuna.

Oh, the humanity...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Tinfoil is cheap. Everybody should buy some.

BTW, why don't we have a tinfoil smilie?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Howabout toll tags? They know when and where you are going.Might have to wrap my truckin tinfoil.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't use the fuckin' things.  Despite what one or two of our local "You're a tinfoil hatter" types who claim to have worked in intel....  

Yeah, it's okay that they know you bought hot dogs...until your insurance company decides to raise your premiums because you eat too much sour cream.  Fuck that shit.  It's none of anyone's business whether I eat healthily, jerk off too much or not enough, or any other damn thing.  Are we Lumpy Chicken here?  Five-by?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Oh crap.

Oh, the humanity...

Oh funny huh.

They also know what over the counter meds you bought…

How much beer…

What magazine you buy…

How much red meat you buy…

ECT., ECT., ECT.,

I am constantly amazed some people are so concerned about the Patriot Act which has controls on how it is used and think nothing of exposing their whole lives to examination by using these cards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is a way to get around using your Safeway card...

www.cockeyed.com/pranks/safeway/ultimate_shopper.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Oh crap.

Oh, the humanity...

Remember the guy in PA who lost his driver's license because he told the doctor that he drinks a few beers a day?  What happens when DMV starts suspending DLs of anybody who buys too much beer at the local Safeway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top