Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 12:36:18 PM EDT
Was looking in Brownell's at the chromed bolts they had for AR's.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Do they work as well or better?  Was thinking that they would cut down on cleaning time, while lasting much longer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't comment on the Brownell's version, since I've not used one, but I had an early hard chromed Colt bolt carrier on an AR15 for a number of years.  The rap on them was that the chrome tended to flake off and cut into the sides of the upper reciever, and that's why (supposedly) they stopped hard chroming the bolt and bolt carrier.  I never saw any signs of it on the piece I had, and if someone dropped a hard chromed unit into my lap I'd cheerfully put it into my current AR.  On the other hand, don't think I'd spend a whole lot of bucks buying one .  I never noticed any functional improvement with the chromed unit, and I don't recall it being any easier to clean.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been sending 1911's to METALIFE [url]http://www.metalifeind.com/[/url] for years.
I think Hard chrome [i]is[/i] easier to clean.
But I'm not sure I'd pay extra for AR parts with it either.
This is my METALIFED Kimber
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/015/FO/id/5F/u570578.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a bright chrome plated bolt from young mfg - that thing is slicker than a wet eel.  no flaking or damage to the upper - but bear in mind it is not the traditional hard chrome.  someting else.  looks goofy in the upper - but works like a prince

steve
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
i also have a youngs manf. hard chromed bolt carrier and it works fine, but, really no better than the standard carrier. save your money and use a standard carrier, unless you like the looks. there is something to be said for the 'coolness factor'.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Young in my Metalcraft target rifle. It [i]is[/i] easier to clean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top