Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 7:31:24 PM EDT
I note that AMC is running Airport 75 & 77 Monday night... normally a good SHTF movie would be mentioned in the Survival forum (ie "what caliber would you use on marauding giant anacondas?") but some flicks are so bad that survival might not be one's first choice ("Karen Black is flying the plane, I think I'll just jump now and save the suspense, thanks")

SO what are your all-time WORST disaster movies, where you would opt for a quick exit rather than put up with the rest of the cast for the remaining 1.5 hours?

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
what was the name of that movie with the guy who plays james bond now. It was about earthquakes or something.  You can see how well i paid attention to it.

J
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't remember the name; was a 50's murder mystery I saw on the tube. The "disaster" (?) was when the merry-go-round at a carnival went berserk and spun out of control. Oh, the screams - the horrer.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what was the name of that movie with the guy who plays james bond now. It was about earthquakes or something.  You can see how well i paid attention to it.

J

Dante's Peak? (what little I remember of it was pretty bad...)

I think the main plot in any disaster flick is for something awful to happen, then have a bunch of women get hysterical, and have the hero find a love interest in the (early films) daughter of a scientist who just might be able to avert a bigger disaster or (newer films) stunning 20-something female scientist who just might be able to avert a bigger disaster, and from their the plot descends into insipid conversation and cheezy special effects, culminating in a predictable end where the heroine gets boinked by the producer, WAIT! that happens BEFORE the casting decisions are made!

The real disaster in most of these are the countless hours of life wasted watching them.

That reminds me, I need to find a copy of "Night of the Lepus" where giant rabbits menace a small town...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Every made-for-TV disaster movie since
The Day After (which I liked even though
it was completely unrealistic and blatant
propaganda). Several recent examples:

Meltdown
Asteroid
Aftershock

Only good TV SHTF movie I have ever seen
is BBC "Threads" - now that was some
depressing shit.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
"Night of the Comet"--1984.  Really cheesy movie about what happens after some meteor kills most everyone.  A secret .gov project tries to capture the survivors so they can make a serum out of their blood.  Horrible acting, bad sets, etc.  Stars the guy who played Checote (sp?) on Voyager, in one of his first movies.

"Steel Dawn"--Patrick Swaze.  'Nuff said.

"Meteor"--1979.  Sean Connery, who would bring class to a driver's ed flick.....Comet knocks a meteor loose that heads towards earth.  Been so long since I've seen it, can't remember most of it; I just remember it was bad.

Now, If I were to pick a disaster flick to MAKE, it'd be Lucifer's Hammer--would love to see that STHF book turned into a movie.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
never heard of "Threads" what was it about?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]

That reminds me, I need to find a copy of "Night of the Lepus" where giant rabbits menace a small town...

is the one where thy fry them with electric fences at the end? God i remember that from when i was like 8 watching it one some cheesey class B movie show  Or how about the one where the huge spiders come over on a plane from south america and take over an entire town and cover it in web.

J
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
propaganda).

Actually, the first half of that movie is one of my favorites!  All the footage of the nuclear command and control system in action is REAL....live footage shot during one of SAC's exercises.  We always enjoyed watching the missile crews do their thing in that movie--they were a good crew who knew their procedures.  The producers did a really good job of putting that segment together to show how we would respond to an attack.

Anything that wasn't USAF footage was a waste of bandwidth, though.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ha! beat me to it .... giant wabbits ... great way to burn powder ....

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Deep Impact, Armaggedon, dante's peak, the one with tommy lee jones where a volcano springs up in LA..... just off the top of my head
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It was a nuclear war movie.

It took all the worst case senerios like EMP weapons, multiple, multiple warheads on single cities, radiation mutations, nuclear winter, etc.

It was an interesting watch.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It was the British counterpart of "The Day
After" - a nuclear war movie. This one is
much more realistic and not filled with
Hollywood flourishs. Pretty grim depiction
of post-war Sheffield, England.

IMDB Link
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Pierce Brosnan was in Dante's Peak.
My selection is "The Swarm" Killer bees attack California, Irwin Allen 70's stuff
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
propaganda).

Actually, the first half of that movie is one of my favorites!  All the footage of the nuclear command and control system in action is REAL....live footage shot during one of SAC's exercises.  We always enjoyed watching the missile crews do their thing in that movie--they were a good crew who knew their procedures.  The producers did a really good job of putting that segment together to show how we would respond to an attack.

Awesome. I didn't realize that. It did seem
to have that "stock footage" feel. I'll have
to watch it again.

Anything that wasn't USAF footage was a waste of bandwidth, though.

Agreed. The scene where Robarts goes back
to his house is the most cliched scene in all
of TV moviedom.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My selection is "The Swarm" Killer bees attack California, Irwin Allen 70's stuff

Is that where they Air Conditioner all the bees to death off of a Volkswagon inside a stadium?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that where they Air Conditioner all the bees to death off of a Volkswagon inside a stadium?

Maybe, it was a long time ago
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The Towering Inferno, Titanic, Meteor....disaster movies BLOW
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I note that AMC is running Airport 75 & 77 Monday night... normally a good SHTF movie would be mentioned in the Survival forum (ie "what caliber would you use on marauding giant anacondas?") but some flicks are so bad that survival might not be one's first choice ("Karen Black is flying the plane, I think I'll just jump now and save the suspense, thanks")

SO what are your all-time WORST disaster movies, where you would opt for a quick exit rather than put up with the rest of the cast for the remaining 1.5 hours?

Bad Disaster Movies...

Is there any other kind?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Deep Impact, Armaggedon, dante's peak, the one with tommy lee jones where a volcano springs up in LA..... just off the top of my head

What ? You don't believe turned over city buses can divert a river of molten lava.

GM
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Earthquake.  The suicidal wife, the psycho Nat'l Guardsman, the wave chasing the stunt rider down the canal.  What was Charlton Heston thinking when he agreed to do that flick?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top