Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:41:09 PM EDT
Is that common? Is it allowed? Frowned upon?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it frowned upon for an officer to recommend or request a Purple Heart for himself?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it frowned upon for an officer to recommend or request a Purple Heart for himself?

I would believe so...when I was in the service, anyone who was putting in for medals/awards for themselves was looked down upon
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the Pope Catholic?

I was never in the military.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the Pope Catholic?

I was never in the military.

Common sense,
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...I frowned on it.  They went ahead and did it anyway.  Officers put themselves and each other in for medals. EM had to have them approved by officers.  You could apply for a Purple Heart if you were wounded by enemy action in combat.  It was supposed to be an entitlement.  I saw several guys with minor wounds who wouldn't put in for one.  Wounds like grazes and small cuts caused by shrapnel.  Not disabling wounds. At least THEY had integrity.  FWIW, I saw a number of guys do things that were certainly worthy of a Bronze Star and not get put in for one.

KA38 is right.  .
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You can not request a Purple Heart for yourself.

You must be RECOMENDED for a Purple Heart, and it is approved only after the injury has been verified.

You can write up your own Purple Heart recomendation.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I would check with John Kerry, it sounds like he did it Three times!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top