Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:28:42 PM EDT

Haven't seen any posts concerning this one.  Could get hairy in south Florida next Thursday or Friday.

Still a week away and anything could happen, but it looks as though Florida will get it's second Cat 2 hurricane in a month.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great. 135mph sustained winds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Don't worry. It'll get close enough
to the Bahamas to give it disapproving
glares and possibly some arrogant
rantings, then turn tail and head back
out to the safety of the Atlantic...

Oh, wait. The hurricane is named
Frances. Heh. I thought that it was
named France. That changes things
completely.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
really feel bad for those poor cuban sob's looks like it can't miss them. Again
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no predicting these things this far out. It could take a turn for Bermuda tomorrow. Too early to say anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just so it stays the hell away from NC.  Seven tropical storms this season and 4 of them have to visit me.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee, maybe after it rolls right through Florida it can take a nice North turn and come right up into Mobile Bay and brighten up my Labor Day weekend.  Sheesh.

Woody
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought this thread was about France...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just so it stays the hell away from NC.  Seven tropical storms this season and 4 of them have to visit me.  

Vulcan94

Vacation is three weeks away.  Hoping like hell nothing hits the OBX before then.

Not to wish ill-will on Florida or anything, but I hope that sucker stays south of the 30th parallel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Here we go again
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
to the safety of the Atlantic...

You ignorant Bastard!

Yessirree, the storm has blown itself SAFELY out to sea!      

HAH! Safely my ass!!!!

Now you know why sailors feel alienated all the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Not looking good for the Orlando area as of now.  I'd say the upcoming contact with the islands will change its course a bit though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Not an expert, but it seems like whenever there is a hurricane that gets this strong that far out in the Atlantic, it usually loses alot of strength before landfall. Hope that happens with this one, if not it has the potential to be an absolute monster....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Aw, Jeez, not again. Guess that'll mean that I have to buy more beer. I've just about finished the beer that I bought for Charlie. Still have all the batteries that I can use, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not an expert, but it seems like whenever there is a hurricane that gets this strong that far out in the Atlantic, it usually loses alot of strength before landfall. Hope that happens with this one, if not it has the potential to be an absolute monster....

Charley was this powerful before it hit Cuba.  It gained strength after hitting Cuba.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any updates yet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is there any updates yet?

no
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]

News outlets are telling everyone to keep an eye out on the TV for the next couple of days...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The latest I could find....

Woody
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
More rain for here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Nobody will have anything concrete till Wed.  But it sure does not look good for Florida again..  that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Losing some steam now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Eh.

What the heck, Florida hasn't had a good hurricane in awhile.

Bring it on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Hurricanes are always unpredictable. That having been said, I've noticed over the last thirty plus years of watching these things that when the storms come up east of the Bahamas, they tend to turn to the north and miss us (at least in south Florida). Nothing's cast in stone, but that's what I'm expecting with this one too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Be sure and check the updated track at the top of this thread.

In the last 50 years, only 2 storms have come ashore between Ft. Pierce and St. Augustine.

This might be # 3.

I know it's early, and it could still turn north, or even south.

Mike

Brevard County.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Not to downplay how terrible huricanes are, but the beauty of it is that you can see it coming and prepare, here in So. Kali-fornia, we get earthquakes and you get zero warning, it just hits you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not to downplay how terrible huricanes are, but the beauty of it is that you can see it coming and prepare, here in So. Kali-fornia, we get earthquakes and you get zero warning, it just hits you.

Ditto.  Other than the fact that Kalifornia coompletly sucks ass and is not a true representation of anything remotely American.  I would still not live there, or anyplace with a ton of quakes.  That's just plain stupid.  But this is Kalifornia were talking about.  Hurricanes aren't the bad part.  it's all the tornadoes they spin off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#27]
In Hometown, Florida, a new tacked "roll-call" at Florida counties - membership guide.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I told my brother not to get married on the first day of the college football season...but did he listen...of course not
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Note the new track - 11.PM

Come on, Burley, keep your thread updated.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Round 3    --    FIGHT!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Round 3    --    FIGHT!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.  Other than the fact that Kalifornia coompletly sucks ass and is not a true representation of anything remotely American.  I would still not live there, or anyplace with a ton of quakes.  That's just plain stupid.  But this is Kalifornia were talking about.  Hurricanes aren't the bad part.  it's all the tornadoes they spin off.

But we have adapted our locale to what we may encounter from nature, ie our structures are more or less earthquake resistant etc. I've got my emergency supplies just incase. In Florida, they've brick houses that are more wind resistant, and in Kali-fornia most of our houses are made of wood so that will flex and sway during an earthquake but not collapse. BUT, just because you live away from the normal earthquake zone does not mean you're completely immune to earthquakes. I've heard of earthquakes in the mid-west and it really shakes them up because those folks are not ready for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Note the new track - 11.PM

Come on, Burley, keep your thread updated.

Mike

I'm only one man Mike.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Predicted landfall shifting to the north.  I'm anticipating the 5PM update very much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]
well, i guess it is close enough to be official.  frances will be a class 4-5 hurricane,  and will make landfall somewhere north of cape canaveral and the  florida/georgia border.

all the meterologist have been shy about  making a commitment about  where frances would go, since they were kind of burned when charlie strenghened and changed course.  i've been following the  discussions about its  path, which, up till yesterday, looked like it would hit in the ft. pierce/canaveral area. now it looks like it is going to move upwards. all the computer models had been consistant till  friday, then they have diverged, but  the hurricane has been following the UKMET and the GFS model, which puts in  between cape canaveral and jacksonville, but is mostlikely going to continue shifting upwards over the nest few days towards jacksonville

people, the clock is ticking.
if you haven't started preping, or you think that the hurricane is going to hit far away from you, remember, the eye of the hurricane is around 40-80 miles in diameter, with the winds decreasing after that. look at all the damage that charlie did. be ready for no water or power for at least a week.

as a reminder, here is

SteyrAUG's excellent posting,

in addition, coming from earthquake country in california, and repeating what others have said, HAVE WATER. an easy way to have water is to get some trash cans,  put them somewhere sheltered, and line them with several clean trash bags, then fill them with water.
consider getting a long prybar/crowbar, and a come along  (hand operated winch like they use to tension  chain link fences) to use to remove debris
have money and some trade goods - tobacco, coffee, etc. for things that you may need to get, or have done.
start bagging any important documents and things that you may have, in case you have to leave now.

anything else?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
in addition, coming from earthquake country in california, and repeating what others have said, HAVE WATER. an easy way to have water is to get some trash cans,  put them somewhere sheltered, and line them with several clean trash bags, then fill them with water.
consider getting a long prybar/crowbar, and a come along  (hand operated winch like they use to tension  chain link fences) to use to remove debris
have money and some trade goods - tobacco, coffee, etc. for things that you may need to get, or have done.
start bagging any important documents and things that you may have, in case you have to leave now.

anything else?

There is plenty of water down there, maybe adding a water filter/purifier to the emergency kit would also be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is an intresting map

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Bahamas are going to get fucking hammered today.

Not looking good for east central Florida.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Another September vacation "F'ed up".  Last one was 09-11-2004.  The ass's "F'ed up" alot of vacations.  Now it's a lousy hurricane.  

Was leaving Thursday for Chicago.  Now I'm on "non-paid" standby for work.  Law Enforcement sucks.  Can't wait till I retire.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#40]
This thing is looking pretty harsh.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#41]
According to the latest projection, looks like those of us in South Florida (Dade & Broward) are going to miss it and just get minimal hurricane wind.  Thank God.  To those of you north of here good luck and stay safe.    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally posted by me in "The Thread"

You know what? I think witchcraft is stupid and fake childish stuff for kids and losers.
I challenge your shitty little "spell" to do me harm.

BRING IT ON BABY!!!!!!!

I am ROTFFLMMFAO!!!

Hey DKProf! How are those flaming hemmorhoids treating you? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#43]
... That looks like one big MOFO

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You know what? I think witchcraft is stupid and fake childish stuff for kids and losers.

BRING IT ON BABY!!!!!!!

I am ROTFFLMMFAO!!!

Hey DKProf! How are those flaming hemmorhoids treating you? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

OMFG!!   What have we done !!!!!!!  

My ass is fine so far, but now I'm going to be self-consciously scratching my ass all day tomorrow!  

Actually, my in-laws (finacee's family) all live in the Melbourne area, which I think is where most of the computer models still predict landfall of the center of the hurricane - so NOT a good place to be if the models are correct. Her mom and sister are actually thinking of getting the hell out of dodge and driving up to her house in Nashville tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BRING IT ON BABY!!!!!!!

I am ROTFFLMMFAO!!!

OMFG!!   What have we done !!!!!!!  

My ass is fine so far, but now I'm going to be self-consciously scratching my ass all day tomorrow!  

Actually, my in-laws (finacee's family) all live in the Melbourne area, which I think is where most of the computer models still predict landfall of the center of the hurricane - so NOT a good place to be if the models are correct. Her mom and sister are actually thinking of getting the hell out of dodge and driving up to her house in Nashville tomorrow.

Tell them to get the f out NOW!
Melbourne is likely to be in a world of hurt.

I'm staying for now but I am ready to bug out any second I think I should.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#46]
That bitch is going to go right over my dad's house! Guess I'll be there with him!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That bitch is going to go right over my dad's house! Guess I'll be there with him!

not going to evac?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Not looking good
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not going to evac?

Where to? He's right smack in the middle of the state. Anywhere we could go in time would bring us closer to water, which is the last thing you want to do.

Nope. Looks like we're going to have to hunker down and bear it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Where's your pop Zaphod?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top