Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 1:17:08 PM EDT
I thought detectives never carried automatics.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
M
O
V
I
E

F
I
C
T
I
O
N
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
And people on this board claim the shootout scene was realistic?

CRC
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
M
O
V
I
E

F
I
C
T
I
O
N

bwhwhwwhwhwwwahahahahaah!!!!
actually, if you watch the MOVIE, you'll notice it's a semi.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
And how many police departments in the US use FNCs?

CRC
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Pacino probably "borrowed" it from the SWAT TEAM
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

He must have.

Or else it was his personal home defense weapon.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought detectives never carried automatics.

CRC

The ones around here carry M-16's
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
M
O
V
I
E

F
I
C
T
I
O
N

That's true.

And except for Tom Sizemore's character all the bad guys used M16's. So the good guys had to use something else. Wouldn't want the head good guy confused for a baddie.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
not this again does it matter NO does anyone care NO maybe they should caption it and make it say the firearm in this movie is a hollywood gun
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's possible.

I know of departments that have the following in their inventory...

American 180 (select fire)
Mini 14 GB
HK 93
Steyr AUG
AR 180
Beretta 70

I haven't yet seen a FN/FNC in a PD inventory but it's not that unlikely. The one that get me is the often 6-12 Thompson subguns that many PDs still have in back someplace.

I seem to remember a slight ruckus when one of the local PDs wanted to sell off their transferable Thompson for $$$$$ to fund the purchase of more modern arms.  The sheeple on the city council had a fit that somehow this evil killing machine would end up "on the street"

There's probably more than a few Reisings & M2 carbines still out there in some arms rooms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

actually, IIRC it was a select fire gun but it wouldn't run properly with the happy switch set to "fast", so it's effectively a semi, but not legally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
He had it because the film's creative staff figured he had to have a military looking rifle, but that it couldn't be an M16/AR type so as to distinguish him from the bad guys. Couldn't have an AK, either, of course. My next stop would have been an FAL, but maybe they couldn't come up with one that didn't have wood furniture, wood wouldn't have been "cool" enough. Next stop FNC, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody also notice he wasnt carrying any spare ammo?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anybody also notice he wasnt carrying any spare ammo?

he wasnt exactly as trigger happy as the other guys in the movie.

i saw him take less than 30.

real enough for me not to complain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And people on this board claim the shootout scene was realistic?

CRC

Realistic? Maybe not. Cool as all hell? You bet your ass it was!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the guys in my department carried an FNC until this year when I bought it from him. I carried it a few times but have gone back to my AR. The AR is just more handy.

Right now I have Deputies carrying M1A's, AR-10's, Mini-14's (every version out there other than full auto), AR-15's from just about every company that makes them, M1 carbines, H&K 91, Marlin lever action .45-70's, and several of them have said that if DSA makes the AUG they are buying one for work.  These are patrol Deputies not SWAT. It all depends on your department. Some departments let the guys carry what they want and they do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
The one that get me is the often 6-12 Thompson subguns that many PDs still have in back someplace.

we have 2 in the armory from Prohibition daya.  One still runs.  Its fun to shoot, but not really practical.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually, IIRC it was a select fire gun but it wouldn't run properly with the happy switch set to "fast", so it's effectively a semi, but not legally.

wow, no shit.
seriously, where did you get that info?  always liked the movie for entertainment value, i understand Andy McNab did some consulting for that movie.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He must have.
Or else it was his personal home defense weapon.

CRC

It was stolen in a home burglary and recovered by the PD. He "checked it out" from the property room "pending return to the rightful owner," but the rifle was stolen before and recovered after the Ca. registration requirement, so it is assumed that the owner can't get it back and the PD hasn't  told him they recovered it. Pacino has a post-it note 4 layers down in the pile of crap on his desk reading "Return FNC to Property upon retirement."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top