Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 9:13:23 AM EDT
I've thought about putting the money towards a handgun buy. I am not 21, so my parents will buy it and "gift" it to me so I can legally own.

So, how are the 2-tone XDs? I've really had my eye set on them, but I haven't even gotten to handle one yet, so I have no idea how the ergonomics are to me. I've heard great things about the XD, but if you can share any opinions or things you've encountered with it, I'd like to know them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought the 2 tone XD-9 SC 3" .... with the pierce grip extentions its more comfortable then my HK USPc  and i was even able to get the XML light to go with it.  Is becoming my favorite handgun.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a "plain jane" XD-9 (black slide).  The slide coating is the ONLY downside to the gun.  It's not that great esp. when compared with the P99 and USP.  Having a stanless slide corrects (IMHO) the ONLY problem with a GREAT firearm.

It's accurate, well built and a very easy shooter.  Some people complain about the high bore axis but that's never been an issue for me.  The gun points more naturally than almost any in my collection.  9mm recoil is VERY managable and getting the sights back on target is VERY quick.

Mags are cheap (under 20 bucks).  The XD series takes Sig nightsights so you have a nice choice and it's a standard light rail so again, you have good choices.

I have a sub-compact and a 5" model on my "to buy" list.

If it feels good in YOUR hand, there's not a reason in the world to not buy one.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Any idea where I could handle a XD?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I traded in my XD-40 for a Walther P99.....I liked the XD a lot, and would buy another one if I wasn't so busy put all of my money towards a WWII K43 and after-sunset AR builds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to say, for a lonnng time my list of pistolas was exclusive to 1911 varients in .45, with one odd-ball Omega in 10MM, then I started to stray... to CZ type pistols, the P9 and really welcomed the Witness when it showed up, still .45, 10MM and a few odd things here and there (the 9X25 is a butt-kicker!).

Then, a department that I was working with no longer allowed their guys to carry SA autos, I was exempted, due to experience, but started to take a look at some of the tupperguns. One day, one of the younger guys showed up with a brandie new XD at the range, I had a ball with it that day and felt very comfortable with it -- actually, scores as good or better than I usually shot!

I had been looking closely at the 357Sig cartridge, a friend of mine works for a grooup that carries it and was googley about how it was performing in the field... so I broke and bought a new XD in 357, today I have more than just that one, no problems ever, feels great, shoots great and I have never once regreted the move.

The key is this... rule number one (JC's) of gun fighting: Have a gun.

If you have found a pistol that YOU like, that shoots well for YOU, YOU are comfortable with and can afford -- as long as it is of acceptable or better quality -- that is the pistol for YOU. What others might say or think (or parot) means very little when push comes to shove. Enjoy your new pistol!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Two XD-9s here. Great guns for the $$. Cannot go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a XD9 4" bi tone. Best handgun for the money bar none. 3000+ rounds and only one hiccup. You can not go wrong. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I just looked at one this week when I was home.

I was surprised to see they are still made in Croatia!

Thinking an OD Fullsize 9mm for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#9]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=263801

My full review of the two-tone XD subcompact is here.  Better grab a cold one (soda for you, Mr.-under-21-years-old) cause its a long thread.  Since I wrote the review the gun has gone through a copule hundred rounds of various 115 grain to 145 grain loads without any problems.  IMHO an XD of any flavor would be an excellent choice for your first handgun.

EDIT:  As far as being made in Croatia, that's a selling point as far as I'm concerened.  Those guys make some excellent stuff and they don't cut corners like many companies, even Springfield, do here in the US.  (think cast parts on the new Springfield M1As instead of mil-spec).
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a green XD-9.   Imho, they are a pretty darn good deal for the money.  Unbeatable for the money, actually.

Never had a problem and are as reliable as the Rock of Gibralter.

Stainless magazines drop free and easily slide in.

Accurate as a sig.

Did I say mine was green?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll be the one that throws the bomb, get a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]
i have two, love them both.  only thing i would do different is go with a stainless slide for the sub.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just at the indy 1500 (local gun show) and talk with a dealer that swore by it. This is going ot be the weapon i buy for carry. Im looking for a bi-tone OD/Black, 4inch. I havent decided for cal though, im stuck between 9mm and .40sw
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
What sold me on 9mm was only that it can hold the .40 cal magazine.  And that 15 9mm rounds fit in the .40 magazine.  But that's just me.  I have cheap non law-enforcement high cap mags.  And so far with  1500 rounds, it's 100 percent reliable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, $450 gets me a handgun this good.

What the hell, if I don't like the ergonomics, I can always sell it on EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What sold me on 9mm was only that it can hold the .40 cal magazine.  And that 15 9mm rounds fit in the .40 magazine.  But that's just me.  I have cheap non law-enforcement high cap mags.  And so far with  1500 rounds, it's 100 percent reliable.

A month from now 15 rounds fits in the 9mm magazine too, so you won't even have to buy .40cal mags anymore.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a XD.40 4".  Stashing money for a Mini  XD .40

Glock 21   550.00
XD.40       440.00
The look on a Glock owners face after fireing the XD-----Priceless!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the "original" HS2000. I paid $250 NIB. It is the only firearm that I have ever owned that has never had a malfunction.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A month from now 15 rounds fits in the 9mm magazine too, so you won't even have to buy .40cal mags anymore.

You can do it now actually.

The XD takes Beretta mags that have been modified to use the XD mag release system.  Its a simple dremel job.

Best part is that they are still useable in the Berettas as well.

I have a friend who has done this and has happily used his original Croation version (before springfield got their hands on it and raised the price for no good reason) with normal capacity pre-ban Beretta 92 magazines for quite some time.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A month from now

14 days, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Could someone explain what they don't like about the slide coating? I am interested in possibly acquiring 1 5" and a 3".

Thanks,

SST7
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one with the black finish.  It likes to rust, but it shoots nice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
i have a black one.  not sure how many rounds through it..probably getting close to 2,000.  one hicup, but i think that was from not cleaning it.  i highly recommended.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#24]
XD9 and love it.........
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I gotta get me more cowbell an OD XD40.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Why is this gun so cheap? I mean, for $450, I wouldn't expect that kind of quality.

Sounds like it's an upstanding firearm; for half the price of some.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why is this gun so cheap? I mean, for $450, I wouldn't expect that kind of quality.

Sounds like it's an upstanding firearm; for half the price of some.

I think it probably has alot to do with "Made in Croatia"-- they don't have Unions over there like we do.  Also, it has alot to do with reputation-- the original HS2000 was less than $300 becuase nobody knew anything about them.  So we know they were making a profit at only $300.  Then Springfield gets in the act, changes a few things and brings out a subcompact version, and has the marketing prowess to make the gun more widely known, so the price goes up.  But its still not as widely known or highly regarded as the world-famous Glock, not yet.  So the price is still not as high as a comparable Glock (NIB they are up to $589 in my area).   But polymer framed guns are so inexpensive to make, especially in a place like Croatia where the economy is shit and the dollar is so strong compared to local currency, that they are still doing pretty darn well in terms of a percentage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Could someone explain what they don't like about the slide coating? I am interested in possibly acquiring 1 5" and a 3".

Thanks,

SST7

I'm not sure what they use but on mine (about 2 years old) it's kind of dull and slightly uneven in finish.  That's the way it came out of the box and no amount of cleaning, treating or soaking has made it better.  It always looks slightly "scruffy".  Also have seen several reports about rust as well.  From what I've read, I wouldn't reccomend it for daily carry IWB in a hot/humid climate unless you don't mind daily cleaning .

Again for range/home defense and OWB carry it seems to be more a durablity/looks issue.  Getting stainless (or getting the slide recoated with something more durable) would be a way of elimiating the ONLY weak part of the gun.

I have a USP45, P99, 9000S, SA Ultra Compact, P22 and a Bulgarian Makarov in addition to the XD-9.  The XD-9 is the gun that I can get on target fastest, with accuracy and with the fastest followup shots of any that I own.

Again, if this gun feels good in your hand, you simply cannot go wrong by getting it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Its interesting, my XD40 has a decent finish (all even) and I have never experienced a rust problem. I even left it out wet in the barn over night. The damn thing is accurate and reliable....I love mine. I would go with a stainless because there is definitely evidence of finish problems.    
.....Just not on mine...lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I've really had my eye set on them, but I haven't even gotten to handle one yet, so I have no idea how the ergonomics are to me.

You will love the ergonomics if you like how 1911s and SIGs feel.  Actually, the grip and angle feels a lot like a SIG 226/229.  I hate Glocks, but I love the feel of the XD.  The only downside is the trigger which was about 7lbs on the one that I got to shoot.  When someone comes out with trigger pull reduction machinery for this sucker, it will be one hell of a gun.

Even with the stiff trigger, I still want one.

I've shot and handled just about all the major players, and if I was in the market for a sub $500 gun that wasn't a springfield mil-spec 1911, I'd get an XD.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought the XD40 OD for my wife.  I didnt expect to like it but damn it, I do.   Very nice finish and even.  The pistol looks very nice.   I havent seen any issues with the slide finish but it's been dry here and it isnt carried IWB.  I wouldnt let the finish deter you on purchasing this pistol though.  My P220 started losing its slide finish the day I first holstered it.   Sig has a great rep but a crap finish and they cost alot more than the XD.  

I hate to say this but if the XD was available in .45acp I probably wouldnt have my P220 anymore.  The XD is a great pistol and well worth the asking price.

I paid $409 for the XD40 in OD.   I'd expect you could haggle the price down to at least that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You will love the ergonomics if you like how 1911s and SIGs feel.  Actually, the grip and angle feels a lot like a SIG 226/229.  I hate Glocks, but I love the feel of the XD.  The only downside is the trigger which was about 7lbs on the one that I got to shoot.  When someone comes out with trigger pull reduction machinery for this sucker, it will be one hell of a gun.

Even with the stiff trigger, I still want one.

The trgger on my example was much improved after only a couple of trips to the range.  It broke in very nicely.  Its a striker type action-- think about the difference between a NIB Glock trigger and the trigger on a Glock that has fired 500+ rounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Incoming...

I'll be second. The GLOCK is a proven platform and won't rust if you sweat on it like the XD will. Also, I detest grip safetys.

If I was going to buy one I would look for a used HS2000. It is the same gun and they are cheap as hell if you can find a used one. I saw one last week with 2 mags and 24/7 night sights for $295.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incoming...

I'll be second. The GLOCK is a proven platform and won't rust if you sweat on it like the XD will. Also, I detest grip safetys.

proven to kaboom in your hands?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incoming...

Show me ONE GLOCK 9mm that KB'd that wasn't the result of some type of idiotic behavior.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incoming...

Show me ONE GLOCK 9mm that KB'd that wasn't the result of some type of idiotic behavior.

The grip safety is a huge bonus, one Glock would do well to copy.  I cannot fathom a single reason you wouldnt like the grip safety except for it's just not glocklike.

I noticed you said 9mm. I assume you admit the .40's KB.    My G22 KB'd on round number 52 with FACTORY winchester silvertips.  
The XD has a fully supported chamber, you'd have to go to some effort to get a KB out of it.  

I also wasnt aware that your behavior would cause a gun to KB  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incoming...

The grip safety is a huge bonus, one Glock would do well to copy.  I cannot fathom a single reason you wouldnt like the grip safety except for it's just not glocklike.

I noticed you said 9mm. I assume you admit the .40's KB.    My G22 KB'd on round number 52 with FACTORY winchester silvertips.  
The XD has a fully supported chamber, you'd have to go to some effort to get a KB out of it.  

I also wasnt aware that your behavior would cause a gun to KB  

I don't like grip safeties because they are useless. It has nothing to do with being GLOCKlike, as I don't like them on 1911's either. If you can't keep your finger off the fucking trigger, no amount of gizmos or do-dads are going to make you any safer.

I limited my comment to 9mms, because the originator of the thread was asking specifically about XD-9s. He made no mention of .40s.

Yes, your behavior can cause weapons to malfunction. Using cheap gunshow reloads can cause a weapon to malfuntion. Using lead bullets, even though you are specifically told buy the manufacturer not to, can cause the weapon to malfunction. These two things have been the cause of nearly every KB I am aware of.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay, personal preference.  Grip safeties are NOT useless.  My G22 was NIB and shooting fresh factory ammo.   GLock's customer service is crap, I had to pay for a new frame.   They blamed winchester, winchester blamed glocks over ramped unsupported chamber.  Portland police has recently de-authorized the G21's due to KB's.   FACTORY ammo.   The myth of glock superiority is just that, a myth.   I will however say that for a 9mm I havent heard of any real issues with the G17/19 series.  It's the other calibers that seem to have problems.   Alot of the "get a glock" type replies are from the guys who never  owned anything but a glock and really dont know any better.  

Now that the glock argument is out of the way (invevitable aint it... )  

Buy the XD40, you wont regret it.  You can even purchase a 9mm barrel from XD-gear.com and shoot both calibers from the same gun.   (wont work with a 9mm pistol to .40 however)  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I limited my comment to 9mms, because the originator of the thread was asking specifically about XD-9s. He made no mention of .40s.

Although I would consider 9x19 more due to ammo cost, by no way would I rule out the superiority of the .40S&W cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm definately going to put money towards a XD fund.

Now... only 4 more weekly paychecks and I can buy it... D'oh!

Worth it, though, from what you all tell me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up a new XD40 at the new Cabelas last week for $330. After reading this thread and an article I'm glad I got it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Just picked up a new XD40 at the new Cabelas last week for $330. After reading this thread and an article I'm glad I got it.

You stole it!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Well I quess Im not the only one who has it rust.  I need to get the thing coated of painted, as a carry gun I perfer it over my 45.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well I quess Im not the only one who has it rust.  I need to get the thing coated of painted, as a carry gun I perfer it over my 45.

I bought the original HS2000 back in May of 2000, and my finish went through 3 years without a hint of rust or whatnot.  I finally got it NP3'd because I wanted the extra lubricity and durability.  My wife has shorter fingers and couldn't even reach the trigger on the Glock 19 I wanted her to try.  The HS2000/XD works well for her.

If you're gonna ccw it, get Mac's TuffGun or Robar's NP3.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#45]
My XD-357 has been flawless, and the finish is holding up well to a kydex holster so far.

Great gun, I highly recommend. Oh, and glocks suck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Oh, and glocks suck.

Perhaps it's just me (or perhaps not), but I dispise Glocks. I hate their triggers, beaver-trails, slides... Just... everything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#47]

My XD-9 is a very nice piece, a sidearm I can trust my life to.  (Just not with WWB, the only time I had a failure, a FTE) The finish is a non-issue- wipe it down with oil/CLP when you clean it, it will be fine.  Or abuse the piss out of it, the gun has a lifetime warranty and springfield will coat it with Armory Kote free if you send it in for warranty work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought a single-tone XD9 yesterday and fired about 100rds. through it at the range the same say(after a little care, of course). Holy shit.

I love that thing. The grip safety is BARELY noticeable and practically disappears when you squeeze it. Disassembly takes a matter of seconds and getting the sights in after each shot is no problem. It is (from what I remember) cheaper than the Glock and it is a great gun.

The only thing you should really do is get a good feel of the choices you are looking for. Feel what they are like in your hands. I was originally going to get a Beretta 92FS but went with the XD9 in the end mainly because of my hands.

Find a good Gun Store clerk(if possible in your state) and have him help you out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#49]
XD9 Here, bought from a friend who "thought he was into shooting"

Less than 60 rounds through it -300 Bucks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top