Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 2:36:37 AM EDT
Four-legged devil dog touches hearts of H&HS ordnance Marines

Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification #: 2004826235126
Story by - Lance Cpl. Skye Jones

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. (Aug. 26, 2004) -- Molly was only three years old when her lance corporal chevrons were pinned on Aug. 12. She dutifully served in the Marine Corps for two years, touching the hearts of every Marine she has come in contact with.

Entering the Marine Corps as a private first class, Molly has earned a Meritorious Unit Citation and a National Defense Service Medal. She was scheduled to pick up lance corporal last year, however, she scratched her major's brand new car, resulting in a minor infraction.

"Molly will protect everyone in this shop," said Gunnery Sgt. Patrick McDonald, ordnance noncommissioned officer-in-charge, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron. "However, her main purpose here is to boost morale."

Molly is a pit bull. She was adopted as the H&HS mascot in June 2002 and resides in the H&HS ordnance shop on East Miramar.

"Our major wanted to enhance everyone's spirits here, so he suggested that we got a dog," explained McDonald, a Sachse, Texas, native. "One of our gunnys got online, saw a picture of Molly and went to the Rancho Coastal Humane Society and brought her back to the shop. Everyone immediately fell in love with her."

Molly is treated like any other Marine. She has her own service record book, complete with her very own orders that Lt. Col. Lawrence Oliver, commanding officer, H&HS signed off on. Molly even dipped her paws in ink to "sign" her own orders.

In addition to having her own documents, including medical and dental records to keep track of her free health care, Molly has her own uniform. The tailor shop on base made a special cammie blouse just for her, complete with a built-in harness for her leash. In the future, Molly might even have a set of blues tailored for her.

Molly upholds all of the standards of a great Marine. She runs physical training sessions with the troops, goes to the air shows, attends formations and other events like softball games and squadron picnics.

"It's easy to be forgotten out here, since we're so far from main side," said Sgt. David Rubio, ordnance technician, H&HS. "But we're seldom forgotten thanks to Molly. It's just fun to bring her out to different squadron events at the air station."

The ordnance shop also lets other units borrow Molly to boost morale in their individual shops.

"Before Molly came to our shop, the morale wasn't as high as it could have been," said Cpl. Jeremy Sampson, quality assurance safety observer, H&HS. "Now, the work tempo has increased and everyone has been more productive since she arrived here."

If the Marines are having a down day, Molly will instantly cheer them up.

"I can remember this one day when things weren't going well. I just got back from leave and was feeling down," said Rubio, a Dallas, Texas, native. "Molly ran up to me and automatically cheered me up."

The Marines in the ordnance shop look out for one another, just like their most junior Marine, Molly, has looked out for them. She has her own food and water dish, basket of toys and even her own golf cart that she rides around at the shop.

"That green cart is her car. She just hops along and a Marine will take her out to the rifle range or somewhere else out here," said McDonald.

Anytime the Marines go somewhere in a car, they follow protocol by putting Molly in the front seat.

"Molly has a little bit of everybody in her and she has brought everyone closer with her presence alone," said McDonald. "I wish I could take her with me when I transfer duty stations, but it would crush everybody's spirits."

McDonald has been one of the main caretakers of Molly and he had the option of taking her with him when he transferred duty stations. However, he left her at the shop to benefit his Marines.

"If he was going to take Molly, he would have to replace her," said Sampson, a Houston native. "She just has so much personality. I don't know if she could ever be replaced."
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
omg its a pitbull, it can't be, Only evil people own pitbulls and gangbangers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I want some MARPAT for my cat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

MARPAT ain't for pussies.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
omg its a pitbull, it can't be, Only evil people own pitbulls and gangbangers.

You know some 'evil people' that own gangbangers?
I think they call that slavery?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MARPAT ain't for pussies.

BigDozer66

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top