Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 1:55:20 AM EDT
I am in the market for 2 safes and would like some opinions/recommendations(I need med.-large size and price is an issue @1k +/- apiece or less if possible . I need one for Seattle and other for S.E. AK, so shipping is a factor.

If you gentlemen/ladies could share some info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SST7
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks cool - but probably a little pricey right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I think like $1000 or 2

and a vault door from $700 to $3000
worth it in the long run it can even be put next to your home. Walk in, fire proof. will last your life.

Have a closet you don't use? If so and you know how to weld or know someone, just turn it into a vault. Weld some 1/4 plates up or thicker then cover with drywall. Discreet
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.brownsafe.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a safe that had been in a ATM - approx. 40h x 28w x 30d for $350. It's made of 1/2" hardened steel plate with a combination lock. Very secure, sturdy and heavy, about 1000lbs I think. Found it in the Atlanta Journal newspaper (ajc.com) classifieds. He will modify them if needed to hold longer rifles, etc....
Maybe someone in your area is doing the same thing?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like Fort Knox safes, personally.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Browning
Fort Knox
Liberty

All very good safes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I really like Fort Knox safes, personally.

+1
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a Fort Knox and a Remington which is made by Liberty.  Fort Knox is the best but pricey as hell.  Remember, the most common mistake people make when they buy a safe is buying one too small.  Plan for the future.  

If cash is no object get the Fort Knox.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
You say that shipping cost is a factor:

Sportsmans Steel Safes at www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/

They are sold direct, no middlemen to jack the price up. Not as fancy as Fort Knox or Browning et al, but not nearly as pricey either. You have to factor in shipping, but it's not too bad. They will(used to, anyway)quote you a shipping rate to your address. You may need to pay a little more for unloading to ground level, some places charge more for delivery by lifegate truck.

Thier website can help with most questions.

Don in Ohio

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Believe it or not, Walmart has a decent one cheap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all your insight and info:

I will check out all these options.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
What we need is an expandable safe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one of these Liberty Lincoln Safe
60 minutes at 1200 degrees.  900 lbs empty, granite finish. 1600 bucks delivered
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Champion V-35 Rocks!

I picked one out form he Lone Star Gunsafe store on FM1960 in Houston & watched as themovers busted their asses getting it in my condo!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought one of the large safe doors from Liberty and using cinder blocks and plate steel made a panic room out of the laundry room.  Relocated the washer and dryer to the garage.

I think I paid about 1950 for the door on sale.  Sure in the end it's gonna be more than a grand but you end up with sooo much more.
Woman hates it
Safe Door
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]
can you open it from the inside? do you have a phone line w/ohone inside,,,a trap door so as to exit if debris don't allow you to open the door...sealed how long can you stay alive in it,,,,get some sodasorb,,and o2 with monitors....and a alternate means of exit hidden of course a small tunnel to within a couple of feet from the surface etc......my little "bunker" is hidden under my decks and is big enough to use as a little office space,,the door is hidden behind the basement wall/panelling, with a bunch of pictures over it....friend of mine is a locksmith helped me out,,,water food backup electricity,,,and thank God for the inverse square law!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#19]
What pisses me off is that NONE of the vendors except liberty have prices, even approximate, on their web  sites

Which makes it hard to comparison shop because I don't know price-wise what safes are in the same category as ones from other mfrs
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a cheap 80$ gun cabinet that I bought from Academy. Not what I wanted, but it was all I could afford. Works great though. Protects my M1 from little kids.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#22]
What do you want to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Probably store some guns in it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#24]
i got a 36 wide cannon off ebay for $1000 to my garage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Ft Knox Yeager, It is by far the best safe I have ever owned.  
The only thing I dont like about it is that it weighs close to a Ton, and it wouldn't fit in my house so I have it bolted to the Garage Floor.   Maybe it is time just to look for a new house
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks again for your assistance.

P.S.  Is anyone familiar w/Zanotti Armor Safes?

Any idea on what they run price wise?
The fact that they can be dismantled is intriguing.
Anyone know if they are quality?

Thanks -
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Firearms mostly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#28]
What I meant was what do you expect it to do?

Protect from fire?

Protect from Theft?

The point is, my research indicates that for both, heaver is better.

Thicker steel all the way around.

Thicker fire protection

More lug things in the doors that secure the door on ALL sides.

Better locks with glass tamper resistant locking things.

Basically, my safe, although not bolted down, would be very hard to steal becasue it ways over 1k lbs and the turds would have to take it down some flights of stairs.

A lighter safe would have to be bolted down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate the insight - and I am concerned w/both aspects (fire and theft)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#30]
SC-Texas, I was just being a wise-acre.

I'm in the market for a safe too.  I checked out Ebay and found this company: American Safe Company

They're on the west coast and the prices seem decent.  I sent an email askng for a delivery quote to NC.   Hopefully it won't be that bad.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks again for your assistance.

P.S.  Is anyone familiar w/Zanotti Armor Safes?

Any idea on what they run price wise?
The fact that they can be dismantled is intriguing.
Anyone know if they are quality?

Thanks -

There was a photo album done by FFYR on the MD AR-15 site.   Quality looks good.   I tried to get in touch with Zanotti last year to no avail.   Will try again.   See pic link below.  If it doesn't work, search on "TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite".

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zanottimodularsafe.msnw
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#32]
No worries.  I really didn't even take your response as sarcasm.  Its just that some people want different things and have differning requriements.  Like the size of the larger safes becomes an issue when bringing the safe into the house.  Also, the larger safes begin to place loads on the structure that approaches the maximum weight bearing capability if they are not on a slab.

Just some considerations that haven't been discussed.  

Like with my safe, I wanted a 50ft3 safe, but there was no way to get it up the stairs intot he home & it would have placed to great a load on the structure.

Quoted:
SC-Texas, I was just being a wise-acre.

I'm in the market for a safe too.  I checked out Ebay and found this company: American Safe Company

They're on the west coast and the prices seem decent.  I sent an email askng for a delivery quote to NC.   Hopefully it won't be that bad.

CHRIS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top