Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 11:46:25 PM EDT
If you like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, you'll like this flick. Visually stunning, the martial arts was quite good, and that little Chinese chick is in it.

A lot of people didn't get the movie which I thought was amusing. I heard a bunch of "Did you follow the movie?" at the end of the flick.

I'm definitely buying this when it comes out on DVD. I give it a 4/5 swords.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If you like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, you'll like this flick. Visually stunning, the martial arts was quite good, and that little Chinese chick is in it.

A lot of people didn't get the movie which I thought was amusing. I heard a bunch of "Did you follow the movie?" at the end of the flick.

I just don't "get" movies where people can do extraordinary feats like flying all through the air with such ease and grace that would make Superman envious or do stuff like chop a few hundred arrows faster and more precisely than a wood chipper without any explanation as to why or how they can do it. I know it's some a big part of Asian movies, but it applies to Hollywood as well. It just bugs the hell out of me and I can't get into the movie because I'm thinking, "WTF?!"
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a movie...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't "get" movies where people can do extraordinary feats like flying all through the air with such ease and grace that would make Superman envious or do stuff like chop a few hundred arrows faster and more precisely than a wood chipper without any explanation as to why or how they can do it. I know it's some a big part of Asian movies, but it applies to Hollywood as well. It just bugs the hell out of me and I can't get into the movie because I'm thinking, "WTF?!"

It's a movie, you know, escape from reality for a little while

I love kung fu movies, and I can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you'll like it. I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this movie.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not take a 20 year old girl to see it with you.  They nag the whole time.

Other than that, I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This movie came out awhile ago. I have the chinese DVD with english subtitles. Anyone know if there's any difference to the Quentin T. edition?

Absolutely nothing...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you talking about playing swords in the urinal?

Quoted:
I give it a 4/5 swords.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you talking about playing swords in the urinal?

Quoted:
I give it a 4/5 swords.

No, just a rating...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Just saw it lastnight. Wow... it was really good. I really liked the philosphy behind the film, especially when the king realizes the meaning behind Broken Swords' calligraphy. The fighting scenes were also very good.

I didn't know there was a version already on DVD. I dont know if Quentin T. had anything to do with the making of this movie. Probably only arranged a U.S. release or something.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
A friedn wanted to go see it, we went shooting instead.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw it in Taiwan.. It's a relief that Q.T. didn't have a hand in it... it was pretty much perfect as is.

Is it dubbed or subtitled? I friggen *hate* dubbed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#13]
According to a friend on the board that saw it, it's subtitled.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]
It is subtitled.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The whole movie is subtitled. It's hard to read and follow the action at the same time. Damn good movie, though...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I really liked the movie and thought the cinematography, special effects, visuals, and colors were brilliant, but the people that I went with thought that, like you guys said, it was hard to follow.

I think that their dislike of the film was mostly because they were expecting something so different, whereas I pretty much knew that it was going to be different. Overall, I definately advise seeing it, but going in with an open mind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I heard a person saying, "Did that guy die three times?" Hilarious...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just don't "get" movies where people can do extraordinary feats like flying all through the air with such ease and grace that would make Superman envious or do stuff like chop a few hundred arrows faster and more precisely than a wood chipper without any explanation as to why or how they can do it.

Same way a revolver can fire 20 times without reloading while spewing out empty cases.  Movie magic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This movie came out awhile ago. I have the chinese DVD with english subtitles. Anyone know if there's any difference to the Quentin T. edition?

Absolutely nothing...

The wuentin tarantion edition just adds thirty minutes (or so) that Miramax cut out of it before releasing it in Europe only, thus causing it to bomb cos movie goers aren;t as stupid as the movie producers somethings think, so I guess we noticed the gaps (I didnt see it).

I'm looking forward to it coming over to this side of the pond

/Phil
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Very artsy - glad it was in subtitles - and if you can't follow the plot you're an idiot.  

I was half expecting them to over do the "walking on water thing", but the scene where you're 50 feet underwater and watching them chase each other around the surface of the lake was a major trip.

One thing - I thought that the first fight scene was the best and kind of wished it had been at the end of the movie.

CTHD was a little better on the big screen, but this is still worth seeing in the theater IMO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw the import from china last year on DVD.

I'll have to go see it on the bigscreen though.

It was an entertaining movie.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called "suspension of disbelief".
It's what allows you to enjoy most movies, science fiction, etc..
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I also saw it in DVD couple of month ago.  Loved it.  
I'll go see it again in the big screen.
One of the best Kung Fu movies I've ever seen and should be a classic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Beautiful film. The use of solid color was incredible.

Li's line "...the ultimate goal of a warrior is to lay down his sword" was excellent.

Man I think this will be Kerry's new campaign slogan......

[bostonian accent] "The Reason that in my illustrius 20 years in the senate, I never voted once to increase funding to the military is because I believe in this ancient chinese wisdom that 'the ultimate goal of a warrior is to lay down his sword'. God bless Fidel Castro and Jane Fonda"[/bostonian accent]

Liberal Bozos on CNN and ABC are now dubbing Kerry as "The Great Thinker"
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Kung Fu: Gay.
Flying People: Gay.
Foreign Films: Sometimes cool.
Jet Li: Gay.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Really Gay.

Synopsis: You couldn't pay me to see this movie.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I loved it. I had no idea what to expect, I am such a moron I didn't even know it was a Chinese import.  There were parts where I was grateful I could turn to my chinese husband and say WTF? and he translated for me (I couldn't always read fast enough)
Visually it was amazing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Did Tarantino do any work on it, or just import it and subtitle it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of these chinese movies are pretty incredible... but you have to understand...Crouching Tiger, Once Upon a time in China,  and Hero are Chinese movies... Not American movies

We know it's campy, so what! I grew up watching the Kung Fu guys flying through the air, defeat swords with Chopsticks, etc... It's not real... but the message it shows if the power of skill and commitment. If you are comitted, you go through the inevitable painful Kung Fu training under an old master, often inside a prison cavern or some other harsh environment (like young soldiers going through Boot camp at Perris Island). The message is if your goal is difficult, you have to endure pains and discomfort to reach your goals. With time and practice, you gain specialized skills. and the old master is part of that mantra "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!"

In the end, the story is what matters and as far as I am concerned, the use of artistic license to embellish the story is expected. Done well, as in the above titles, and they add more flair and excitement to the story.

Besides, We grew up on this shit! It's been a part of our psyche since we were young. We've come to enjoy it over time, and even to expect it.

Enjoy the movie!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No!

The only "foreign films" that are NOT GAY are Kung Fu Films.
So therefore sir, YOU are gay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No!

mad max was pretty good
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Did Tarantino do any work on it, or just import it and subtitle it?

Thank God he didn't do any work on it. I like his work and all but it wouldn't have worked in this film.  

You just know he would've used this line somewhere in the flick. "Is there a sign outside my pagoda that says dead n*gg*r storage?"

ps....I saw the movie this afternoon and really liked it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No!

I guess Das Boot is gay too?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#34]

I actually found Das Boot to be very Homo Erotic,
Especially the scene where bunch of sweaty topless German saliors were greasing those humongous torpedoes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I actually found Das Boot to be very Homo Erotic,
Especially the scene where bunch of sweaty topless German saliors were greasing those humongous torpedoes.

So... what you're saying is that turned you on?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It's a movie bullshit...

There. Fixed it fer ya.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a good movie if martial arts movies are your thing.

I saw it today and will get it on dvd when it comes out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought it was extremely well made and thought Flying Snow was hot.

I disagreed w/ the ending, but still liked the movie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]
The use of color was quite amazing. This would be a great drunk movie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate Asian martial arts movies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I saw it yesterday.  Only reason I didn't leave early was my GF had her hand in my lap and I didn't want to break her concentration.

See there ?   I AM a sensitive fellow.

rip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top