Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 2:50:49 PM EDT
I have a couple of old reels made by ABU Garcia that are in desperate need of rebuilding. Several people have told me that the makers will rebuild their reels for free if you ship them. There is nothing like that on the AG website. Is this just wishful thinking? I've also heard that Bass Pro Shops do the same thing. Anyone here know the real skinny on this?

These reels have sentimental value to me. One was left to me by my late father and the other was the first purchase that I ever made with money that I worked for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Call AG and see if you can get parts, then rebuild them yourself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Boy does that bring back memories, is that the black open face reel.

The first reel my Dad ever gave me was the old Garcia before it was called the ABU Garcia IIRC.

GM

Quoted:
I have a couple of old reels made by ABU Garcia that are in desperate need of rebuilding. Several people have told me that the makers will rebuild their reels for free if you ship them. There is nothing like that on the AG website. Is this just wishful thinking? I've also heard that Bass Pro Shops do the same thing. Anyone here know the real skinny on this?

These reels have sentimental value to me. One was left to me by my late father and the other was the first purchase that I ever made with money that I worked for.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have my Mitchell 300. And 301.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was purchased in 1973 with money from my first real job. Deckhand on a salvage barge in the Port of Baton Rouge. I EARNED that money!  Daddys was a few years older. They are the red 5000 series reels. Through the years I've replaced some of the smaller parts but the bearings and shafts are worn out from severe useage. Daddy fished everyday, morning and evening in the surf at Grand Isle Louisiana and that sand and salt finally got the best of his old reel. It would take a dumptruck to haul the speckled trout and red fish he "shot" with that rig. He always said "shot" instead of caught and called every bait a "worm" instead of it's correct name. Contrary old turd!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I still have my Mitchell 300. And 301.

Mitchell, That's what it was! thank you

GM
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I get my parts from www.southwesternparts.com and rebuild them myself. Good fast service from them. Parts catalogues online. .. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the 5500C to fish the saltwater bays. They last me about 2 seasons, then they get retired. I have a shelf full of them.

But if you have some really old ones you can look at there website to get the schematics and rebuild them yourselves. Or find someone in your state that will. good luck

www.abu-garcia.com/service/index.cfm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top