Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 1:57:04 PM EDT
If you are military, after Sept, 11, you probably had someone thank you for you service to our country, or something similar. What do you say to this? I always felt a bit uncomftrable with this question until I just started saying, It was my honor, ma'am/sir. What about you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a great response.

Nobody can tell by looking at me that I ever served. Fat old man here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
All I say/said is you're welcome and thank you for your support. Damn now that I think about it, it almost sounds like I'm running for office.
Hey, now there's an idea, let's start our very own political party
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just what you said.

The honor is all mine.  Glad I could do it, wish I could do it again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It has been an honor

or

It has truly been a pleasure
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
"Thanks for your support."  Is my standard response.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
All of the above.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I only take that thanks very seriously from other military or veterans. Ever since 9/11 I have seen "Bandwagon Patroits" spring up and I don't trust them. Not that I don't appreciate them doing it for the younger guys, because they need it now more than ever, but I take all that "glory" with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Eaglebite,  I feel the same way--but RAS you said it right.. just salute proudly and let them know freedom is not just another word for  "nothing left to lose"..
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I always thank any service men/women I see.

When I buy a poppy from the old Vet and he says thank you I say. No I thank you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I just say "no problem."

I'm not a very talkative person...not good with words.  I also get a little uncomfortable when strangers start thanking me for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
While serving at the Pentagon from Aug 02 to Feb 04, I travelled to and from work, in uniform, on the Metro.  I received several "thank you"s and always responded, "it's an honor", because that's how I felt; honored to put on the uniform of the U.S. Army every day.  That feeling is the thing I miss most about working in the puzzle palace.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep.  "Thank you for thinking of us" was what I usually said.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While serving at the Pentagon from Aug 02 to Feb 04, I travelled to and from work, in uniform, on the Metro.  I received several "thank you"s and always responded, "it's an honor", becuase that's how I felt; honored to put on the uniform of the U.S. Army every day.  That feeling is the thing I miss most about working in the puzzle palace.

That is the best answer yet. And for those who feel it only counts if it comes rom a vet, why? So what if it is only lipservice, it sure beats an insult, or just as bad, being ignored and treated with disdain.

Or being called a baby killer like our Vietnam vets did not deserve. I was only a pup in those days but if I heard someone utter those words to a vet today I would lay them out on the floor. It really chaps my ass to think this was a reality at one time. It just makes me sick.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I always had that feeling people did not appreciate you until something bad happens close to home. Being in the service in the mid 70's was not a good time. People frowned at you like you were some kind of disease. The only time I wore my uniform out of base was after bootcamp.

Fast forward to 9/11, suddenly everybody loves servicemen and women.
Maybe it's just human nature. I'm sure I am not the only one who had this feeling.

I served with pride and still proud to haved served.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Whether they are honest, or bandwagon patriots, i awlays give them the utmost respect and respond alone the lines that " I'm glad to have served my country."
I'm not good with words either, but it's usually something along those lines. but i still remember the first time i heard that....i was ticked pink.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top