User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 1:11:55 PM EDT
Officer Hurt During Shootout
Police Chief Says Wounded Cop Lucky to be Alive

POSTED: 6:28 a.m. EDT August 26, 2004
UPDATED: 2:30 p.m. EDT August 26, 2004

Story by wsbtv.com

ATLANTA -- An Atlanta police officer was recovering Thursday after a shootout the day before that left a robbery suspect dead and his mother wounded.

Officer Laila Sabree, 23, remained Thursday at Piedmont Hospital, where she was being treated for gunshot wounds to her hands. Her wounds were not believed to be life threatening. A steady stream of officers visited their wounded colleague.

The dead man was identified as Chablis A. Owens, 26, of Atlanta, and his mother as Elizabeth Owens, 57, a licensed practical nurse. Owens has been charged with battery and aggravated assault, police said.

The incident began shortly after 5 p.m. with an attempted robbery of a woman at a Bank of America ATM in northwest Atlanta on Northside Parkway. The victim drove from the scene and called police to report the incident.

The officer spotted the vehicle described by the victim and followed the car before it ran off the road and wrecked. When the officer pulled up to the vehicle and approached the car, the suspect allegedly opened fire, which was returned by Sabree.

She was struck in the hands, the woman suspect was grazed on the head and her son was fatally wounded, Police Chief Richard Pennington said.

He praised the way the officer responded during the situation.

"When you look at the position she was in she could have sustained a very serious injury," he said.

Lots of people get hit in the hands during shootouts. People get tunnel vision, focus on the weapon being used by their oponent and tend to shoot where they look. Probubly a career ending injury for the cop.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This was all over the news yesterday. They said she should come out of it fine. Don't think it ended her career but I can see where it could have.

I defer to your local knowledge.
Driving, typing, shooting, cuffing, grappling, writing tickets, LE work requires full use of your hands. Glad to hear her injuries are not permanantly disabling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Why dont you ever post about regular everyday people being shot? Are cops somehow better and deserve more and or better recognition?

Who gives a fuck if a "cop" gets shot. Its "People" that you/we should be concerned with. The fact that a "person" that got shot and has an occupation as a "cop" is not relevant. Get off the high horse already you're making me sick with your over inflated ego.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why dont you ever post about regular everyday people being shot? Are cops somehow better and deserve more and or better recognition?

Who gives a fuck if a "cop" gets shot. Its "People" that you/we should be concerned with. The fact that a "person" that got shot and has an occupation as a "cop" is not relevant. Get off the high horse already you're making me sick with your over inflated ego.

Wow....talk about sand in the crotch. Got a problem with LEOs or what?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ASSHAT OF THE DAY AWARD GOES TO 1776

Edit: Don't worry, it's probably the only award you'll ever get.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whoa!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You can always find a thug at his mom's house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...The fact that a "person" that got shot and has an occupation as a "cop" is not relevant.

It is when their occupation is the REASON they were shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn 1776, you should have also  bitched that it said "FEMALE" cop shot.  Why not just say "COP??"  FUCK females!!!  You are a fucking idiot!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who gives a fuck if a "cop" gets shot.

I do.  In a big way.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The reason is because they place their lives on the line to protect us and our property you Assclown.
I hold them higher than "joe snuffy the civilian" because they are held to a higher standard than the rest of the civilian populace because they hold a public position of trust and worked hard to earn that position!

Now Please heed the following advice:

as well as:

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Uh, I bash JBTs as much as anyone, but 1776, you've got some issues man.

I'm trying to think whats wrong with this story that's got you trying to pound sand up everyone else's ass.  Nope, still can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey AZ-K9, is this the award you wanted to give him?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that 1776 by the cows ass in the other thread?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
She was shot in the hands as she was shooting at the BGs. Man, she was lucky to come out alive in that exchange! Her hands absorbed the shots that would have hit the chest otherwise, probably. Maybe she'll get a sweet movie and book deal to help her in the future because her hands might be damaged too bad for service.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I see this thread going to the crapper soon, So I say glad she's OK. Prayers for her. And bad guy got his justice. Not bad for someone  some call a cop basher, Huh??

and IBTL .. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tell us how you really feel. Where is that ignore button anyway.....

Posted by Pangea:

She was shot in the hands as she was shooting at the BGs. Man, she was lucky to come out alive in that exchange! Her hands absorbed the shots that would have hit the chest otherwise, probably. Maybe she'll get a sweet movie and book deal to help her in the future because her hands might be damaged too bad for service.

As they say, people tend to shoot at the threat, and when that includes a gun in the other persons hands, people get shot in the hands..make sure you are doing weak hand shooting/ clearing drills, because you never know when your primary wing will be disabled. Look at the Miami incident as an additional example.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dude ... I bet you eat your boogers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
... she was lucky to come out alive in that exchange! Her hands absorbed the shots that would have hit the chest otherwise, probably. ...

Actually, I suspect there’s a good chance her vest would have stopped any bullets.

OTOH, in the rather unlikely event that she was using her sights, you’re absolutely correct.

Wonder if this would make an argument for not using your sights?  

Anyway, for a 23-year-old rookie, seems like she did real good!!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Might I suggest that you get your FullAuto.com/Pre-Ban.com accounts set up now so that you won't have to wait too long to post your inevitable Arfcom-banned-me! cries and whines.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell us how you really feel. Where is that ignore button anyway.....

Posted by Pangea:

As they say, people tend to shoot at the threat, and when that includes a gun in the other persons hands, people get shot in the hands..make sure you are doing weak hand shooting/ clearing drills, because you never know when your primary wing will be disabled. Look at the Miami incident as an additional example.....

I just read about the FBI shoot out last night and was thinking the same thing!  

BTW 1776, cops ARE "regular everyday people" who perform a dangerous and thankless job.  Grow up.

ETA My hat is off to Officer Sabree and I hope she makes a full recovery.

-YJ
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Why is mom getting a low ball charge?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top