Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 1:08:09 PM EDT
$15 million settlement in border killing
Web Posted: 08/25/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Jesse Bogan
Express-News Border Bureau

LAREDO —— The family of an undocumented immigrant, who made about $60 a week before he crossed the Rio Grande, will get $15 million under a settlement reached Tuesday with the men a jury found responsible for killing him.

The agreement came a day after a jury decided the family of Jesus Barrera Vazquez, 24, should get $20 million from businessman John R. Hurd and his ranch hand, Juan Garza Mendoza.

Barrera's mother, who's illiterate, signed the court documents with an "X."

Hurd, the partial owner of San Antonio-based Hurd Enterprises, a natural gas company, is responsible for 75 percent of the payment because the killing happened on his Hurd-Villegas Ranch near the U.S. border on June 1, 2003.

The civil jury, which was about to begin discussing additional punitive damages before the settlement ended the trial, found Hurd mismanaged the ranch. Neither Hurd, whose company drills dozens of natural gas wells a year in South Texas and along the Gulf Coast, nor his attorney could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Mendoza, 36, is responsible for 25 percent of the settlement.

"We thought we had a valid basis for appeal, but we decided to go ahead and resolve the case," said Victor Vicinaiz, a lawyer for Mendoza, who testified that he mistook Barrera for a feral hog.

"I am not happy with the verdict," Vicinaiz said. "I don't think the jury properly considered the evidence, but that's the way the system works."

"In essence there is, shall I say, coverage for this incident," Vicinaiz said, responding to a question about possible insurance coverage.

Forty percent of the settlement is owed to plaintiff attorneys.

According to in the trial, Mendoza and other men at the ranch waited up to two hours before calling 911 to let authorities know a man had been shot. During that time, other calls were made before calling police, according to phone records.

Rene Mejia, Mexican deputy consul in Laredo, said this case sets a legal precedent for border communities.

"We are looking to protect the human rights of Mexican nationals," he said. "The owners of ranches along the border — with this precedent — will have to have their people prepared to avoid these kinds of incidents in the future."

He said Barrera's widow, who lives in a rural town in central Mexico, planned to use part of the money to help educate her two children.

"The loss of the father and her husband, it's something that cannot be replaced," Mejia said. "But they will have the means to improve their well being."

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That is wrong on so many levels...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to be a dick but perhaps they waited because, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoa...thats a lot of beans/rice/tortillas and college degrees.

I hope the kids can read and write when they graduate from college. Most colleges don't teach much but Western Liberal Philosphy 101, about 4 years worth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repeat as needed.

Don't forget to do a barrel change.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
$15 million settlement in border killing
Web Posted: 08/25/2004 12:00 AM CDT

"We are looking to protect the human rights of Mexican nationals," he said. "The owners of ranches along the border — with this precedent — will have to have their people prepared to avoid these kinds of incidents in the future."

Here's a suggestion Paco, keep their asses on your side of the border and you get f-en shot!!! Either that or try getting into the us the LEGAL WAY!!!!!!!!

Edit to say: I wouldnt pay their asses a single damn penny, Ole Pepe was a criminal the minute he set his ass on US soil illegally. FUCK EM!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
For that much I thought you could buy the country, thats a lot of refried beans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn I just noticed how much more opinionated I have become since joining this bunch of Rag-Tags

Thanks ARFCOM
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#11]
No doubt the landowners settled to avoid a judgement and even more litigation.   Don't know all the facts, but what is reported sounds kind of callous.  

For those living in the Valley, no insult intended, but... if you live in South Texas very long, you become aware of the "fact" that judges & juries in South Texas are biased at best and completely corrupt at worst.   When the judges, law enforcement officers, elected officials and attorneys are all related to each other, its tough to get a fair trial.   If you are an anglo or a "big businessman" going to trial there, better bring lots of money!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top