Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 11:09:03 AM EDT
This might be a boring topic but here it goes......

please add any ideas of what I should look for in a piece of land and the town/c

I'm in the position soon to purchase my retreat land in this general area and I have visited there once two years ago but I'm still unsure of what area to concentrate on. The land does not have to have a structure on it. I would like some feed back from those who may be able to steer me in the right direction and maybe someone has some land for sale as well...so here are my parameters:

Land must have the following charachteristics:

Price not to exceed $200,000
80 to 640 acres
year round stream
thick trees and a meadow
must include a hilltop (clear of trees) for tactical reasons of course
should be under 2500 ft elevation since snow is nice but I would need to be able to have land to grow shit on ect...

What else should I look for?  ya ya ya I know the bunkers and tunnels will come next
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged.

I'm looking at doing the same thing (on a smaller scale 100-150k and need a decent dwelling on the property as well).

ETA: location MUST allow for shooting.  No if''s, and's or butts about it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure that you will find much land below or at 2500' in Idaho or Montana

www.netstate.com/states/geography/id_geography.htm

www.netstate.com/states/geography/mt_geography.htm
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont think you will find the type of place your looking for at that price, maybe 2X or 3X that. The prices of land in this area have sky rocketed fast in the last few years. There are so many new people moving in with the same ideas that it has been a sellers market.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
how do you build bunkers?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the Flathead Lake/Kalispell area.  Its awsome up there!  Or even the Canyon Ferry Lake areas.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
for that kind of money and the elevation - you are going to want to look on the Eastern side of the state of Montana.  I am from the Western part of the state, I do quite well, and I cannot afford to live there!

Billings is a great little town (biggest in MT) with plenty of such land around it.  It will give you the same look as Southern Idaho (less the sage brush!)

The Western part of the state is far more attrative - BUT - you can also expect to pay for it.

Depending on your travel needs (Airports et al) - they will damn near give you the land up in the Eastern corner of the state.  Heck, you might be able to buy a whole town for $200K!

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember reading here about a year ago about
the same topic (buying land in Montana) and someone posted about being VERY careful
to NOT buy land that has been restricted from being developed or
exploited in ANY way by the State or County.
Buyer Beware.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the same topic (buying land in Montana) and someone posted about being VERY careful
Buyer Beware.

very true since my bunker complex will make HO CHI MIN roll over in his grave the little commie bastard!

Remenber...The U.N. is not your friend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buyer Beware.

very true since my bunker complex will make HO CHI MIN roll over in his grave the little commie bastard!

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The absolutley most important thing you hould look for is.....

Someone to help you hunt thise rascally elk.  HINT HINT!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#11]
You can find land that cheap, just not in a real public place, I have seen 600 acres for around $200,000 with a nice little creek. Then again you arent going to have a walmart.

I bet you could do even cheaper since you want a big ass hill on your land. Try looking at the montana canada border.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buyer Beware.

As long as you are not hiding from some international tyranical plot of the banks and government to subjegate the masses with bank fees and fingerprints and take away their rights to own firearms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad owns a place out there in the SW area of the state.  IM me with what info you want and I'll aks next time I talk with him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
How deep to well water?
Yearly rain/snowfall?
Soil composition, for basement/agriculture
Water/mineral rights?
Accesibility
Location/distance to/from Citys, military bases, other ranches, prisons etc...
Future developments/zoning, impact on your location.
Yearly taxes on your land?
Adjoining land, military, reservation, BLM? (see accesebility)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top