Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 11:04:38 AM EDT
I have now wasted three days of my life with All Pro Automotive.  I have a '65 Tempest that needs an exhaust system.  Everything aft of the headers.  I went to a couple of different shops, and All Pro gave me the lowest quote.  

8/21 - I dropped the Tempest off and walked back to my house, which was about five miles away.  I get a call at 6:00 PM telling me they weren't able to get the parts, but would have them in a few days.  I walk back up there and get my car.  They make an appointment for 7:00 AM on 8/24.

8/24 - I get up, drive over to All Pro, wait until they open.  They tell me that their shop doesn't have the necessary tube bender, want me to take the car to another location about 7 miles away.  I tell them I have to be at school and ask to reschedule.  They make me an appointment for 8/27 at 11:00 AM at the other location.  Tell me that price will be the same at the other location.

8/27 - Drive to other location.  Manager tells me he thought I was coming in Monday.  Says he spoke to the other manager.  I repeat the work needed, and the quote given.  I ask how long it will take to get it on the rack.  He tells me several hours.  I start walking home.  When I didn't hear from them by 1:00, I give them a call.  Guy tells me the cost is triple the quoted price.  I start the long walk to pick up my car.

I ask the guy if he remembers me telling him that I wanted everything aft of the headers replaced.  I ask him if he remembers me telling him the price I quoted.  I ask him why he didn't bother telling me that the estimate wasn't realistic.  He tells me he wanted to get it on the lift first.  I ask him why he didn't call me earlier.  He says he did.  I tell him that I walked home, and I have caller ID as well as voicemail, and that he didn't call me.  He asks if I am calling him a liar.  I tell him 'if the shoe fits'.  He orders me off the property.  I take my car and go.

So here's the deal:  
I work nights from 3:45 PM - 2:00 AM.  I go to school full time all day.  I have wasted about 20 hours so far of time that could have been used for productivity or sleep.  I have been lied to multiple times by virtue of either incompetence or intent.  I still don't have a working exhaust system.  Since no money changed hands, the BBB is pretty much out.  Do I just suck it up and move on, or do I have some sort of legal recourse for my inconvenience?  Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
do I have some sort of legal recourse for my inconvenience?

None that I'm aware of.

And god forbid you ever boycott their place of business or urge your friends and associates to do the same. The crowd here will crucify you for attempting to force your opinions on some poor business.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
"I...  I could set the building on fire"

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"I...  I could set the building on fire"

triton.towson.edu/users/jcotte1/milton.jpg

Nice tie.......  Is that polyester?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
move on..nothing lost but, time. But believe what they say about the circle of friends. Evereyone has 10 friends. They tell their friends about a bad dealing witha business. One or two of them will tell one of their 10 friends and so on. Karma will deal with them. Everything comes around in small circles.

J
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought about posting something (Spades sigline if you are interested) but in this context it would probably put me on a watch list.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a '65 Tempest

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes the lowest price isn't the best price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
+1

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Save for a few rare times, you get what you pay for. Luckily you didn't actually pay anything to anyone, but you get the point. Move on and consider this a lesson learned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Since this place has multiple locations I would assume this is a franchise deal.  Just write a letter to the head office telling them the story, including locations and names if you can get them.  It won't put anybody out of business and I doubt anybody will get fired (although you never know), but you *will* cause somebody a little discomfort while they answer questions and may help the next guy that runs into the same situation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1

Quoted:

++ 1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Just as an update, I reluctantly took my vehicle to Midas.  I had been avoiding the the large chain  shops due to a bad experience with Pep Boys on another vehicle.  That said, I was very pleasantly surprised when they did all the repair work in about two hours, $75 under their quoted price.  So, +1 for the Jacksonville Midas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top