Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 7:42:56 AM EDT
Ok i've never been much for a distance shooter. A few guys at the station are having this conversation about scopes  and stuff. Anyone think of a decent scope set up for a  24' heavy barreled .308 bolt action? Under lets say $400? Thanks guys.

J
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa.. I was with you until I got to the 400 dollar part.  Mucho good lucko.  The closest "Decent" I would bother to reccomend is the Spingfield Gov. 6-20-56 zoom.  But it's gonna be about twice that.
Cheap glass, cheap shot.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
we're LEOs.wanna see my pay stub?

J
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
SWFA has the rights to the Super Sniper series, and those are now being made back to the original specs (not the junk types/Tasco's being made in the recent past)--those might be a very good bet for that price range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, define distance, for one

Punching paper? Or tactical applications?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
In the $400 dollar range I would try the Super Sniper from SWFA.com.  They come in fixed 10x and 16x, with rear and side focus.  I have the 16x and am very pleased with this scope.  It's not a $900-$1000 leupold or NXS, but for the money it's an extremely nice scope.  $299 for Rear focus, $399 for side focus.

Just my $.02

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Like the other guys said- Tasco Super Sniper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Aim,

Another for the SS 10X42 M.

And, welcome back!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Being a .50 shooter, I hate where they say this scope is .50 reliable.  I have seen at least 3 of these litteraly come apart in under 100 shots.  For .308, you may be ok.  But a lot of folks pay all the cash for a .50 and can't wait to buy quality glass, so they get a SS since it has decent "Buzz" in the industry.  Then you see them at the range licking up scope parts all pissed off.
Litterally the frontobjective falls off.  Kinda ruins your day.

That's why I thumbs down the TSS.
Cheap..
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the SS 10x42 and have shot out to 1000 yrds with it....it is great. To avoid exploding scopes a equipment check is always warranted. Check lock rings, and hex screws...I've never had a failure.

SWFA is the place to get em...

I use mine on my M1A and with M118 I get hits out to 900... at 1000 I lost it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Bushnell elite 3200 or 4200 should be in that range IIRC. I've heard a lot of good about them. IF you can find somone willing to deal on it, you could get an I.O.R 2.5-10x42 for around $550, but you'd have to find somone willing to deal. I know cactus tactical sells them for around $630.

I.O.R scopes are fucking tanks. Mine took a tumble onto a tile floor last week, went out and shot it later that day and it was still dead on. No damage whatsoever to the scope. I'm planning on getting two more I.O.R scopes one for the AR and one for the 30-06.

Somone here on the board might be able to work you a good price on them, well worth the price IMO.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
TASCO made junk Super Snipers when they had that contract, pure junk and they could not even withstand .300 Wby Mag--now SWFA is the distributor of the SS series, and those are being made back to the original specs, and a pretty darn good scope for the money.
I'd take them over Bushnell anyday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I don't see the hype over scopes that cost a gob of money, except for bragging rights.

I have a Weaver WideView 2.5 X 7 that I put on my .270 in 1977 and since I sighted it in in 1977 I have touched the adjustment knobs a total of ONE time-when I re-sighted it from 100 yards (Missouri) to 200 yards (Arizona). This gun has seen a lot  of travel and movement over the years. In fact, the zero didn't even move when I tripped and fell over an old barbed wire fence that was down and the scope hit a rock under me hard enough to dent the scope. This gun has ALWAYS been kept and transported in a soft case.

I have a Bushnell 3 X 10 on the '06 I bought 2 years ago and I told the gunshop owner I'd heard that the lower end Bushnells sometimes didn't hold their zero. He told me, "If it doesn't hold it's zero-EVER-bring it back and I'll keep giving you scopes until one does".

This gun also gets transported in a soft case and since I zeroed it the thing hasn't moved a pubic hair in setting and I've run about 300 rounds through the gun under various conditions.

YES, YES, I know real snipers shoot that much for practice but most hunters and recreational shooters don't. And some scopes have range finding reticles that are useful. But all in all, I'd rather spend $400+ on a new GUN than an ACCESSORY.

I did recently buy a hard transport case so I'll be treating the hunting guns with a bit more TLC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Personally, I don't see the hype over scopes that cost a gob of money, except for bragging rights.

I have a Weaver WideView 2.5 X 7 that I put on my .270 in 1977 and since I sighted it in in 1977 I have touched the adjustment knobs a total of ONE time-when I re-sighted it from 100 yards (Missouri) to 200 yards (Arizona). This gun has seen a lot  of travel and movement over the years. In fact, the zero didn't even move when I tripped and fell over an old barbed wire fence that was down and the scope hit a rock under me hard enough to dent the scope. This gun has ALWAYS been kept and transported in a soft case.

I have a Bushnell 3 X 10 on the '06 I bought 2 years ago and I told the gunshop owner I'd heard that the lower end Bushnells sometimes didn't hold their zero. He told me, "If it doesn't hold it's zero-EVER-bring it back and I'll keep giving you scopes until one does".

This gun also gets transported in a soft case and since I zeroed it the thing hasn't moved a pubic hair in setting and I've run about 300 rounds through the gun under various conditions.

YES, YES, I know real snipers shoot that much for practice but most hunters and recreational shooters don't. And some scopes have range finding reticles that are useful. But all in all, I'd rather spend $400+ on a new GUN than an ACCESSORY.

I did recently buy a hard transport case so I'll be treating the hunting guns with a bit more TLC.

I'd rather spend close to $800 on one scope than have to replace a cheaper one several times. I had to send the tasco on my 30-06 back a total of three times for repair work because it couldn't handle the hunting trip use/abuse. Hada friend that had a bushnell that he had a lot of problems with too. I also know somone that refuses to buy quality optics and bitches about how he keeps having to repair/replace scopes.
It's not about braging rights, if that was the case I'd have some $10K scope. No I want a quality scope thats going to take the beating it's going to get from use on my guns. I'll gladly pay for that quality.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]
if you are limited to 400 you either have to choose the tabasco stuper sniper, or the bushnell, i had a ss 20X, and you can shoot far with them, 400 is iron sight territory though, my ss was a good starter scope, sold it and got some loopy stuff
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Isn't he asking about "Distance Shooting"  I guess it matters what his definition of distance is.  Does the SS have rangefinding optice, illuminated reticle (Which helps an old bastard like be a bunch in lower light and after 300 yards to focus)  If he's only going 200 yards or so, OK.  But that's not really distance shooting these days.
I start at 600 yards and finish around 1200 when I distance shoot.  And that's not far compared to someof my contemporaries.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#17]
What about a Leatherwood Uni-Dial?
They look pretty nice, and have a "no math" mil-dot recticle.

Anybody played with one?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Again, TASCO no longer makes the Super Snipers, and if you come across one by TASCO I'd pass on it--SWFA has the rights to the current Super Sniers and the mfg (who makes them back to the original specs) ships direct to them........Tasco gave the SS series a bad name for a while there.

1,000 yards is no problem for these scopes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Again, TASCO no longer makes the Super Snipers, and if you come across one by TASCO I'd pass on it--SWFA has the rights to the current Super Sniers and the mfg (who makes them back to the original specs) ships direct to them........Tasco gave the SS series a bad name for a while there.

1,000 yards is no problem for these scopes.

Interesting.  I was not aware of this.  I retract.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#20]
The reticles are mil-dots, by the way.
I would rather have a USO or Nightforce, but money gets tight sometimes!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#21]
For that price range, I'd go with the Super Sniper over the Bushy 3200.

SS sports some damn good glass for the price, a mil dot reticule and adjustable for parallax.  Clarity is pretty good as well, even at the longer ranges.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#22]
IMHO the SS will get you by in the 400.00 range,

You will however have to shell out some bucks for a one piece base (20 deg.) and good solid rings for repeatable performance.

Hell, Ive got almost 300.00 in my Badger rings and base. You could get by with less but you only buy quality once.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for.  The SWFA SS is a great deal from everything I've heard, but I haven't personally used one.  A Leupy, VXII or III, Bushnell 3200, Nikon, and similar should have something that fits your needs close to the price range you quoted.  Whatever you do, buy QUALITY.  If it means saving your pennies awhile longer, so be it, but you don't want to half-ass your optics.  Pay once, cry once.  Check out the tacked threads on the optics forum to see some similar threads.

You should pick up several to compare them--don't buy without checking one out!  Make your decision based on quality, suitability and price, but remember that if it was inexpensive to make quality glass, every scope would be $100.

I have used various scopes on various rifles, and rarely had a good experience with the lower priced optics....I guess I became a bit of an Optics Nazi-- I bought a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 and now  I use this scope on every rifle I own, and after using some top shelf equipment, I will NEVER use anything less.

BTW, what kind of distance are you going to be shooting?  That info would definately be helpful in giving you some possible ideas.
(Somebody recommended a Springfield Armory...this scope is made by Hakko IIRC, and is NOT known for reliability.  Do a search for it and you'll hear some horror stories)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#24]
J,
I know you said under $400.00.  But if you could squeeze out another $50, Leupold offers a very good scope that will be well suited for what you are looking for.  On SWFA there is a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 for $449.95 it is a very good scope and will do what you require of it.  It also has an adjustable objective and target knobs.  The AO is great for focusing the scope in for a known distance 100, 200, 400 etc.  The target knob makes sighting in the scope much easier and allows quick adjustments for wind and distance with out having to use a screw driver and getting out for your shooting position.  Leupold VX II 6-18X40.  I have one of their Vari-X III 4.5X14X40 Tactical scopes on my Savage 110 Tactical in 308 and I love it is a awesome scope.  My scope is very similer to what I have in the link.  HTH
Matt

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For that price range, I'd go with the Super Sniper over the Bushy 3200.

SS sports some damn good glass for the price, a mil dot reticule and adjustable for parallax.  Clarity is pretty good as well, even at the longer ranges.  

I was just schecking out a 3200 that a buddy has the other day, I was suprised as shit about how nice the glass is, clear, crisp image. IT was better than i thought it would be.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know for the life of me why the Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes the name was changed from Baush & Lomb to Bushnell.  The name Bushnell is associated with low quality something the Elite series isn't known for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#27]
alrighty all done with  BS paperwork so time to waste the tax payers money a bit more... Actually the reason i ask is b/c an officer just bought a savage 10FP tactical in .308. He'll probably target shoot more than anything. He said he would be happy at 500 yards.  So the majority says the SS? ok now what would be the best route for rings and mount? This guy is new to  long guns and i don't really mess with bolt action stuff. So i figured i'd pick your brains. He already ordered a harris bipod for it too. Thanks for the info guys. Ya know i'm starting to like this broken toe thing.. getting paid for this..

J
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the budget for the rings?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Badger,leupold, or IOR for the rings and bases in no particular order. I use I.O.R
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Is that Savage a model with the accu-trigger and "round-top" receiver?
Anyways, 1 piece base and good rings for sure, Mounting Solutions Plus can help here as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
alrighty all done with  BS paperwork so time to waste the tax payers money a bit more... Actually the reason i ask is b/c an officer just bought a savage 10FP tactical in .308. He'll probably target shoot more than anything. He said he would be happy at 500 yards.  So the majority says the SS? ok now what would be the best route for rings and mount? This guy is new to  long guns and i don't really mess with bolt action stuff. So i figured i'd pick your brains. He already ordered a harris bipod for it too. Thanks for the info guys. Ya know i'm starting to like this broken toe thing.. getting paid for this..

J

IOR or Badger 20 MOA base and rings.  Did he get an S series Harris or one that doesn't swivel?  Also, did he get the one with or without notched legs?  Pod lock?  Can o worms opened?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Savage 10FLP (lefty) in .308 with the accu-trigger and heavy 24" barrel. I put a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40MM tactical scope with turret knobs on top.  Holding it down is a Leupold 2 piece base and Burris Signature rings. The rings use the synthetic pivoting  inserts that self align the scope. They don't place any stress on the scope and they don't mar the tube when you tighten every thing down.

I put one of the Wal-Mart bipods on it yesterday.

I couldn't be more pleased with the set up. It shoots sub MOA with just about every hand load  I have put through it.

Although the scope is more than you said you had budgeted, I think scopes are definately something that makes the old saying "You get what you pay for" ring true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top