Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 5:52:23 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a dupe, but I checked the GD forum and didn't see it.  At least one of the wrecks has been officially attributed to terrorism.

apnews.myway.com/article/20040827/D84NJE700.html

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If they were shot down...would there be traces of explosives from the missle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I think so.

Course the Ruskies have been saying that these were just accidents.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Depends. Are russian air-to-air missiles
fused for impact or proximity? If fused for
proximity, I would think that you'd be less
likely to find explosive residue...

This was most likely a bombing, however.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Rusians are now saying terrorism is the cause… explosive residue has been identified as 'Hexogene'

ANdy
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
They've also stated that the chechens have used that military explosive in the past.  It looks like sugar, and they mix it with sugar to avoid detection.  Also, they stated two chechen women boarded the planes just before they took off.  Last minute ticket purchasers.  

Oh, but I forgot  the international government motto, "we don't know what happened, but we know it wasn't terrorism."
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Militant Group Says It Downed Russian Jets

By MAAMOUN YOUSSEF
Associated Press Writer

August 27, 2004, 2:28 AM EDT

CAIRO, Egypt -- A claim of responsibility for the downing of two Russian planes appeared on a Web site known for militant Muslim comment Friday.

The statement, which accused Russians of killing Muslims in Chechnya, was signed "the Islambouli Brigades." A group with a similar name has claimed at least one previous attack, but the legitimacy of the group and the authenticity of such statements could not be verified.

Russian officials have said terrorism was the most likely cause of Tuesday's plane crashes, which killed 89 people.

"We in the Islambouli Brigades announce that our holy warriors managed to hijack two Russian planes and were crowned with success though they faced problems at the beginning," the statement said without elaborating on the problems.

Friday's statement said five mujahedeen (Islamic fighters) were on board each plane and their wills will be published soon.

The statement did not explain how the hijackers boarded the planes, how they downed them or give any other details.

"Russia's slaughtering of Muslims is continuing and will only stop when a bloody war is launched," the statement said. "Our mujahedeen, with God's grace, succeeded in directing the first blow, which will be followed by a series of other operations in a wave of to extend support and victory to our Muslim brothers in Chechnya and other Muslim areas which suffer from Russian faithlessness."

A July 31 Web statement signed the "Islambouli Brigades of al-Qaida" claimed responsibility for the attempt to assassinate Shaukat Aziz, Pakistan's prime minister-designate. Friday's claim did not refer to al-Qaida, the international terror network led by Osama bin Laden.

Lt. Khaled Islambouli was the leader of the group of soldiers who assassinated Egyptian President Anwar Sadat during a military parade in Cairo in 1981.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting for Russia's calm, measured response to this.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dupe, but I checked the GD forum and didn't see it.  At least one of the wrecks has been officially attributed to terrorism.

apnews.myway.com/article/20040827/D84NJE700.html

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Surprise, Surprise.  Maybe now the Ruskies will get some securitah in the terminah
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm waiting for Russia's calm, measured response to this.

Of course, there's this response from the Russians, which I guess will make do for the sheeple who
don't know anything about mobile SAM capability....or AAMs from fighters.....

That led to speculation that Russian anti-aircraft missiles may have shot down the planes
to prevent a Sept. 11-type plan to crash them into buildings. The Tu-154 was en route to Sochi,
where Russian President Vladimir Putin was at his summer residence.

However, independent military analyst Pavel Felgenhauer dismissed that speculation, saying the
plane wreckage did not show signs of being shot down and that there are no anti-aircraft missile
batteries in the regions where the planes fell.

Yeah, okay, Ivan......
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Jusr read that Chechen officials have issued a "shoot to kill order" on any individual wearing a mask covering any portion of the face.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Jusr read that Chechen officials have issued a "shoot to kill order" on any individual wearing a mask covering any portion of the face.

Wow, need to get them over in Iraq and Afghanistan.
hehehehhe
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure that their response will be "sensitive".
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think so.

Course the Ruskies have been saying that these were just accidents.

No

AAMs & SAMs are PROXIMITY FUSED

They generally do not hit-to-kill...

You'd have shrapnel, but little or no explosives residue...

Further, past experience shows that the Russians use 23mm AP for airliner shoot-downs, so if a fighter was involved (likely), it was probably brought down with cannon fire (remember, missiles don't come cheap over there)...

Explosive Residue means the T's blew it up
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Halloween is gonna suck
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, need to get them over in Iraq and Afghanistan.
hehehehhe

or here
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't believe squak that comes from the Russians.   So they said they had 5 guys on each plane.   Sounds like to me they wanted to take over the plane and crash it somewhere.    Why would you put 5 people on each plane just to blow it up in the sky?   Don't sound right at all.   Both flights were not at full passenger capacity just like 9/11.    One thing I can say, Muslims in Russia  are cheap MF's and wont spend the money if they really have to and theres no other choice.  

Rubel for Rubel, I still think the Rooskies took it down.  They can say whatever.

And to say they did this to cause FEAR?  Bullshit!  Russians don't fear anything.  They have lived through REAL FEAR the last 80 years.   What two planes?  Big whoopty-doo for the Rooskies.

Next!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top