Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 4:21:47 AM EDT
What a night!  My town of Leon, Iowa looks like someone ran a vacume cleaner throught the town.  Trees are down everywhere, roofs off of garages and buildings.  Power just came back on a minute ago and I can't believe that my cable is working for me to post this.  What a mess.

We had a series of severe thunderstorms go through South central Iowa and northern MO last night

That was about the worst thunderstorm I have ever been in in my life.

What a mess.

Helicopters are flying around the town looking at the damage.  Probably news copters.

maybe some Pics coming soon

patsue
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad you made it through. With all the talk about hurricanes, and I feel for those people, the midwest tornados that occur on a daily basis are not really thought about except for those who are effected. Been through a couple and worked powerlines after dozens. So sad to see the losses that people suffer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you get any of that softball sized hail that the media is talking about??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was a kid, we had a storm roll thru town that did the same thing...

75-80mph straight line winds, no tornadoes...

You got the kind of wind damage you'd expect from a small hurricane (just no flooding, and less because it only lasted for a few hours)...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My GF is in Adel, IA right now and is flying back today (8/27) on a small-100 passenger-plane.

She called last night and was wigging out about the weather and if it was going to calm down before she left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top